Post-Game Talk: Leafs Beat the Avalanche 5-2

Jtabo

Sep 16, 2010
Greater Toronto Area
Marner rocking the 26cf% tonight.

Kid has to wake up. He's been playing like crap for a while now.
From a fan and media standpoint he’s always been the golden boy and free of criticism. I feel like the backlash from his agents comments really shook him. Can see it in his demeanour in interviews.

Reactions: dsred

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
This game is something I'd like to point to in the discussions on teams being easy to play against. Colorado played tough, Zadorov was roughing up our players every chance he could and Rantanen was bulldozing around. They also left tons of ice to skate onto and free seams to pass through everywhere. The result was that our team seemed to thoroughly enjoy the game through sixty minutes.

Edit: On the other hand, we were similarly easy to play against in our zone, as we were one step behind all the time.

From a fan and media standpoint he’s always been the golden boy and free of criticism. I feel like the backlash from his agents comments really shook him. Can see it in his demeanour in interviews.
Love Marner. I don't mind that his offense has come in flashes lately, rather than the straight out dominance from earlier. Nobody can keep that level of play every game. I don't really like that he plays lackadaisical lately. Let's just hope it's a case of mid-season blues.

I think its a little ridiculous Nylander didn't get an assist on that Kapanen goal. They made it unassisted yet the Avs never got possession.
Yeah, don't think I've ever seen a reaction poke counted as possession before. That should have counted, but if they haven't changed it by now then I don't think that they will. It's pretty much peak Nylander that he can walk away with one point from a game where he should have had four.

Last edited:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
William Nylander such a ****ing beauty. I absolutely love the Kadri line right now. Theyve been on fire. So good.
Kapanen is awesome too.

Nylander has been one of their best forwards since before the break.

That he hasn't garnered more points is a reflection of his linemates lack of finish at times, as he's a playmaker more than scorer, but he also has a heck of a shot (see Montreal game).

This is the real Nylander, the one who got a good contract ... but anyone who has watched knew that.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
The PP came to life but they lost a ton of battles in their own zone.
Yeah, and we continue to have a bad habit of not staying with our mark consistently. Instead of staying close every time we tend to slack a bit until it looks like it might be dangerous. The Tavares line were especially bad at that tonight. The result is often that we end up one step behind all over the zone. And that probably ties into what you said, that we lost the battles. If you are constantly a step behind, what should be 50-50 battles turn into 25-75 ones.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Yeah, and we continue to have a bad habit of not staying with our mark consistently. Instead of staying close every time we tend to slack a bit until it looks like it might be dangerous. The Tavares line were especially bad at that tonight. The result is often that we end up one step behind all over the zone. And that probably ties into what you said, that we lost the battles. If you are constantly a step behind, what should be 50-50 battles turn into 25-75 ones.

Not to mention the battles they want no part of....

Reactions: Cams

RLF

May 5, 2014
I think its a little ridiculous Nylander didn't get an assist on that Kapanen goal. They made it unassisted yet the Avs never got possession.

Why is no one upset Marleau didn't also get an assist? The puck clearly hits his skate on the rebound before poked away by the Av's D-man. He created the screen for Willy. Marleau had as much to do with the goal as anyone.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Willy is one of the most beautiful hockey player to watch when his game is on. And its on for a while now.
His movement and puck control is so smooth. I'm really happy we locked him up. His contract will look ridiculous in about 2 years.
Is it possible to truly enjoy Willie, acknowledge he is starting to produce and drive play, without arguing he will be a bargain one day? If he was making 6 mil, or if he was making 6.9 with the bonuses that negate cap savings, or if he gave up an extra UFA year, would it matter when we watch him play?

This debate around here has always been so polarized. If you argue Willie was worth 6 mil it's a slight, you're a hater for some bizarre reason. If you love everything Dubas does this deal will be a bargain, every drive worth every penny. Willie is going to produce, he's too GOOD, and just because he pots a goal or makes a pass doesn't suddenly make him a bargain, more like he's starting to earn his salary.

Maybe Nylander turns out to be worth 9 million in a year or two. Reilly is worth a hell of a lot more now for instance. It doesn't really matter, because when this deal was signed it wasn't a "bargain", it was the best deal any RFA agent has extracted from a GM, when you take all details into totality.

I'm glad Willie is a Leaf, I'm glad Auston is a Leaf, that has nothing to do with a belief we didn't get good deals for our team. I'll cheer every point, but I'm not going to argue he's a steal, because he should be producing big time, it doesn't merit a revision of opinion.

Loving Nylander, and I think he's actually stronger this year, but we gave up too much in that deal, no matter what happens moving forward. Anyways, I know this place, every pass will come with "what a bargain" and the haters will crap on every missed opportunity. I'll sit in the middle and enjoy his play at the moment, his contract already solidified in my mind. It is what it is now.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
This game is something I'd like to point to in the discussions on teams being easy to play against. Colorado played tough, Zadorov was roughing up our players every chance he could and Rantanen was bulldozing around. They also left tons of ice to skate onto and free seams to pass through everywhere. The result was that our team seemed to thoroughly enjoy the game through sixty minutes.

The best was our strategy of not scoring on the PP for an extended period prior to this game has lulled the refs into thinking its ok to call penalties on the teams we are playing as we won't score anyways.
Last night Babs said, ok, put the puck in the net on the PP and they did!!!

:sarcasm:
Or we could have just regressed to the mean, and our ridiculously low scoring percentages on the pp will start evening out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad