Post-Game Talk: Leafs Beat the Avalanche 5-2

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
He's already a millionaire and wants for nothing.
But he is not even close yet. He will be soon but there is a big difference. $800,000 G's a year or $440,000 after tax for 3 years. Pays off his mom and dads house which is mortgaged to pay for his hockey and $100,000 cost of living in his downtown condo and some party/travel money and he is pretty broke. If he ever got hurt now it would really impact him. End of next year yes he will be a multi millionaire with good financial planning. He of all players would have most interest in signing fast.
Matty was different because he was already making almost $4,000,000 per year with mostly bonus payments. Matty is already a multi millionaire many times over and even if he got hurt he is already set for life.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Thing is, Willy was pretty dominant from the get go, despite the lack of points.
I think he struggled a bit to start, but that wasn't more than a few games. You could also argue that a lack of sharpness was the reason why the great underlying stats didn't result in points after that. But I agree, he's been pretty great for a long time now. Just snakebit.

On the opposite end you can't point out any flaws on here without the homer defense force coming in to say "but three points" or whatever it is. Many of the guys haven't passed the eye test for a while, getting by on talent.
I never have that problem, and I point out flaws pretty regularly. People know that I don't go looking for them though.

What are these stats since December 1st? Willing to bet they are a middle of the pack team
And what is the reason for that arbitrary cutoff?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I think he struggled a bit to start, but that wasn't more than a few games. You could also argue that a lack of sharpness was the reason why the great underlying stats didn't result in points after that. But I agree, he's been pretty great for a long time now. Just snakebit.

his hands were rusty, no doubt, but he was still controlling play out there.

Reactions: kb

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
You're right, the sky is still falling. Hopefully there are people thinking about the children.

I often wonder what Patrick Maroon came up with the term "Fanboy" and why you feel the need to use it as an insult to FANS OF THE BLOODY TEAM! I cheer for every player with a Leaf jersey, but please, it's "Fan Man." I haven't been a boy for many years.

Just hate Matthews and he will be satisfied.

stuart5035

Apr 9, 2017
They've had a pretty awful broadcast for years so it's not that surprising. The 2 goals on the double minor weren't even off a bad call. Straight up cross check to the face.
I wondered about that, did something happen prior to precipice that or was it completely unexpected?

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
I don't really see the bolded in the Matthews pairing. Kapanen can lug the puck, but he lacks vision. Matthews can carry the puck, but he is at his best having someone else do it, and looking for the holes.

That right there is the problem and absolutely needs to change especially as a #1 center if this team desires to win a cup with Matthews being the top dog eating so much cap.

When we talk about Matthews compete not being where it needs to be this is it right there. Matthews has to become more than a guy who floats into holes while his linemates do all the hardwork so he could score goals. Brett Hull hockey gets you plenty of goals but it wins you zero in the way of championships. Brett Hull didn't win squat until his game changed where compete lead his skill same with Yzerman and you can bet the same will happen with Matthews or we should be looking to trade him now. It's not about Matthews individual statistics in goals, points or any other players individual production line that translate wins especially playoff wins.

Reactions: illusory

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
That right there is the problem and absolutely needs to change especially as a #1 center if this team desires to win a cup with Matthews being the top dog eating so much cap.

When we talk about Matthews compete not being where it needs to be this is it right there. Matthews has to become more than a guy who floats into holes while his linemates do all the hardwork so he could score goals. Brett Hull hockey gets you plenty of goals but it wins you zero in the way of championships. Brett Hull didn't win squat until his game changed where compete lead his skill same with Yzerman and you can bet the same will happen with Matthews or we should be looking to trade him now. It's not about Matthews individual statistics in goals, points or any other players individual production line that translate wins especially playoff wins.
I agree. But he is a 21 year old kid with top 2 world class skill and he has size. He won't turn 22 until next season. The NHL playoffs are a different kind of hockey game. He will get it but it takes time. With tavares on board this year i think it will help speed up learning process.

kb

Aug 28, 2009

Wow.....this is what you got from my statement? Talk about taking things way out of context. Last year and his first season, he was doing exactly what I described. No one would say he was a floater the first 2 seasons. This year he has been tasked with propping up the corpse of Marleau, and trying to gel with a winger who (Kapanen) only has eyes for the net when the puck is on his stick,and has no vision. Not an easy thing to do, and requires an entire different mindset and style of play that he is still adjusting to. Most 21 year olds aren't perfect either. Yet his is still producing near the top of the NHL in scoring rates. He isn't simply waiting for the puck to come to him, but he is having to adjust to a different role, and maybe thinking too much and not anticipating, which makes people look slower.

And for the record, Tavares is not a puck carrying C either.

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
He deserved to be bashed for coming back completely unprepared and out of shape. Nobody has ever denied his talent, so i'm not sure what you are getting at.

On a related note, Forsberg was on the radio this morning where they discussed his 27 points in 20 playoff games after missing the entire season. He said he worked his butt off to keep in shape, and never missed a beat.

Well that your opinion. Many will disagree with you.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
his hands were rusty, no doubt, but he was still controlling play out there.
He is such a smooth skater and intelligent player it would be hard for him not to control play.

Honestly think he could end up a bargain contract especially after this summer. Probably better value contract than what Marner will sign

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Wow, 25 pages for a leafs loss against the NYR, only 11 for a leafs win against Colorado....

very interesting.........

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
Wow, 25 pages for a leafs loss against the NYR, only 11 for a leafs win against Colorado....

very interesting.........

It's almost like people tend to opst more inflammatory drivel after a loss.

I wonder if the same posters shitting on Kadri/Nylander/Matthews will have a go at Marner if he keeps up his not-so-great play of the last four games or so.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
Sit Dermott for a game or two, work Ozhiganov back into the lineup.

They could even rotate the two.

Who knows what they will try next.

They should try Muzzin - Zaitsev for a couple of games.

:nopity:

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
Now I remember.

Dermott - Hainsey last night ... ...

Who did that remind you of?

Dermott - Carrick.

The man who some here affectionately refer to as "Ego-Man" ... ... undoubtedly recoiled in horror upon that realization after a couple of shifts.

Time to shuffle the deck, again! Again!

Is Carrick still in the league?

Again!

:dunce:

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
They gave an assist to Marleau on Kaps 2nd goal which is kind of weird, nothing for Nylander.
How does that even happen? Nylander shoots, Marleau touches it in traffic, Graves pokes the puck to Kapanen. How do they decide that Marleau but not Nylander gets an assist? It should be none of them or both, depending on whether they think a reaction poke should be deemed as possession.

Reactions: Leafs at Knight

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
How does that even happen? Nylander shoots, Marleau touches it in traffic, Graves pokes the puck to Kapanen. How do they decide that Marleau but not Nylander gets an assist? It should be none of them or both, depending on whether they think a reaction poke should be deemed as possession.
When Graves hit the puck, it went off Marleau's skate right to Kapanen. Pretty clear on the one replay, but I agree it was iffy.

Reactions: Nithoniniel

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
Nice to get another win. Really happy the power play woke up, hopefully it stays clicking.

I'm at a complete loss on what our defense pairings will be though.

Avs pk is very bad, I didn’t look if Rangers’ pk is as bad. Pp looked good moving wise past two games, but we need to see it for longer time to say if it came back or not.
It was not good in Mtl game, when pk pressured the puck. Last two games pkillers stayed in the square and that at very least made pp looking good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad