Post-Game Talk: Leafs Beat the Avalanche 5-2

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
One of the reason Darren Ferris claimed he didn't want to negotiate mid season for Marner was to avoid any distractions to his client.

I think the huge $$ Matthews got has now perhaps crept into Marner's conscience thinking of his next deal and how rich he will become also, which might be a slight distraction.

If he is about to get +$10 mil contract and massive signing bonus he will soon become a millionaire, so contract years can be distractions to players.
He's already a millionaire and wants for nothing.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
I don't get everyone acting vindicated in here. The team still shows the same problems despite the now winning record. Passive effort most of the game with inconsistent play game to game. You never know which team you are going to get and the team still can't skate for a full 60 minutes. Hell we are lucky to get the team to skate like they did against Tampa for 20 min once a week nevermind every game.

Lots of soft plays in our own end again. Completely bailed out by Andersen several times. Andersen again hiding the lack of urgency and effort in our play away from the puck. Once again, many of us are still seeing a pretender who will get exposed in the playoffs. If it's like last year they'll sleep walk the first few games until they get embarrassed and then start playing while already basically down in the series. Meanwhile other clubs are trying to get that next level now so when it counts, they can push a bit harder and find a new level. The Leafs will be trying to find the level they had in November in the playoffs.

And to top it off, the Matthews fanboys. Holy. 3 point night for him but it seems that no one gets it or doesn't want to. It was never about the points. The same complaints were present when he had like 19 goals in 20 games. Away from the puck, he used to be a monster. Now, he looks like he doesn't give a ****. Now, his points come from his wicked shot and some high IQ plays but he is a non factor outside of scoring chances and sometimes costs the team.

He needs to have way more urgency in his game. He needs to be hounding pucks like he used to do back when he was really good defensively. I can count many times in the past 20 games he has been on the ice for key goals against including several game winning goals where he lazily pokes at the puck instead of using his body to maintain the puck like he used to do.

The 6-1-1 record is an illusion. Only positives from the game is that some guys had really good nights and the PP got going so hopefully it means the roster is going to become more fired up and reliable. Getting Nylander back will be huge come the playoffs.

However we want a cup. And right now there are too many glaring issues to know that will happen. Those of us complaining are not looking to just be negative, we just don't care about the regular season anymore. Time to win in the playoffs. I'm not sure this group has what it takes.
You're right, the sky is still falling. Hopefully there are people thinking about the children.

I often wonder what Patrick Maroon came up with the term "Fanboy" and why you feel the need to use it as an insult to FANS OF THE BLOODY TEAM! I cheer for every player with a Leaf jersey, but please, it's "Fan Man." I haven't been a boy for many years.

HOF Paul Henderson

Jan 16, 2019
Nice to see the PP working.

Not we have to work on protecting the goalie - Andersen was run an awful lot.

I think, just looking at Kessel/Kapanen, we did a lot better in that deal than most people thought at the time.

I have noticed that as well. It’s hard to watch. People have to start paying some serious consequences for running into Anderson. Maybe bring up someone like Rich Clune for a game or two just to knock some teeth out.

However they do it, it would be nice to have it firmly established that Anderson is protected before the playoffs come around. They need to have players thinking twice about running him down before the first series even starts. If they try to get rowdy protecting him in the middle of a series, it will already be too late.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I don't get everyone acting vindicated in here. The team still shows the same problems despite the now winning record. Passive effort most of the game with inconsistent play game to game. You never know which team you are going to get and the team still can't skate for a full 60 minutes. Hell we are lucky to get the team to skate like they did against Tampa for 20 min once a week nevermind every game.

Lots of soft plays in our own end again. Completely bailed out by Andersen several times. Andersen again hiding the lack of urgency and effort in our play away from the puck. Once again, many of us are still seeing a pretender who will get exposed in the playoffs. If it's like last year they'll sleep walk the first few games until they get embarrassed and then start playing while already basically down in the series. Meanwhile other clubs are trying to get that next level now so when it counts, they can push a bit harder and find a new level. The Leafs will be trying to find the level they had in November in the playoffs.

And to top it off, the Matthews fanboys. Holy. 3 point night for him but it seems that no one gets it or doesn't want to. It was never about the points. The same complaints were present when he had like 19 goals in 20 games. Away from the puck, he used to be a monster. Now, he looks like he doesn't give a ****. Now, his points come from his wicked shot and some high IQ plays but he is a non factor outside of scoring chances and sometimes costs the team.

He needs to have way more urgency in his game. He needs to be hounding pucks like he used to do back when he was really good defensively. I can count many times in the past 20 games he has been on the ice for key goals against including several game winning goals where he lazily pokes at the puck instead of using his body to maintain the puck like he used to do.

The 6-1-1 record is an illusion. Only positives from the game is that some guys had really good nights and the PP got going so hopefully it means the roster is going to become more fired up and reliable. Getting Nylander back will be huge come the playoffs.

However we want a cup. And right now there are too many glaring issues to know that will happen. Those of us complaining are not looking to just be negative, we just don't care about the regular season anymore. Time to win in the playoffs. I'm not sure this group has what it takes.

Unfortunately I agree. We'll always come away with wins by default because of our superb talent and world-class goaltending but jesus christ does our actual play look lackadaisical 80% of the time.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

Leafs have the 5th best record in the league, but take out loser points and they have the 2nd best record in the league.

2nd most regulation wins.

2nd best goal differential.

4th most goals per game.

7th fewest goals against per game.

9th best corsi for percentage. 9th best expected goals for percentage. Top-5 in both categories since Willy returned. Even better since adding Muzzin.

6th best goaltending.

Currently the hottest team in the league at 6-1-1.

If you can't enjoy this, you'll never enjoy hockey.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
He deserved to be bashed for coming back completely unprepared and out of shape. Nobody has ever denied his talent, so i'm not sure what you are getting at.

On a related note, Forsberg was on the radio this morning where they discussed his 27 points in 20 playoff games after missing the entire season. He said he worked his butt off to keep in shape, and never missed a beat.
Tons of players have come back in great shape after injuries. What people have referred to is that not even getting to practice with a professional team makes you completely unprepared for the pace and intensity, especially at the NHL level. And it's not just us Willy backers here on these boards that say that, it's been a consistent theme from coaches and ex-players since before the season started. I remember, because I used to argue against it.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

this was the first game in a long time the Leafs were bailed out by the powerplay and goaltending. We've seen a lot more of the exact opposite lately, with the Leafs outplaying the other team and getting let down in those areas. They put up over 50 shots against the Rangers and lost because the PP couldn't score, for instance.

and like always, of course you aren't passing up on a chance to criticize Matthews, 3 point game be damned

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Tons of players have come back in great shape after injuries. What people have referred to is that not even getting to practice with a professional team makes you completely unprepared for the pace and intensity, especially at the NHL level. And it's not just us Willy backers here on these boards that say that, it's been a consistent theme from coaches and ex-players since before the season started. I remember, because I used to argue against it.

Thing is, Willy was pretty dominant from the get go, despite the lack of points.

Reactions: Havoc
Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
Leafs are playing much better since Muzzin has arrived and the defense group is now better slotted against QofC that suits their skills better.

Don't think much has changed. The Leafs are still bleeding scoring chances especially of the high danger variety. Detroit, Ottawa, and Colorado games were awful 5 on 5, and gave up a lot vs NYR

Until this team improves their structure and defensive zone play as a 5 man unit, it won't matter what kind of personnel is on the backend. Andersen cannot mask the team's warts forever.

The coaching staff has a ton of work to do ahead of the playoffs.

Reactions: SAMCRO44 and IPS

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Don't think much has changed. The Leafs are still bleeding scoring chances especially of the high danger variety. Detroit, Ottawa, and Colorado games were awful 5 on 5, and gave up a lot vs NYR

Until this team improves their structure and defensive zone play as a 5 man unit, it won't matter what kind of personnel is on the backend. Andersen cannot mask the team's warts forever.

Truth be told: Muzzin's made some pretty glaring f***-ups in his short time here. He's good don't get me wrong, but people should really start to realize there's absolutely no magic-fix personnel-wise for this team. Simmonds and Gudas and all the other toughness people want to add to this team isn't going to amount to the on-ice results they think it will. The team as a whole plays lackadaisical, un-engaged hockey 80% of the time.

Reactions: Suntouchable13

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

I still hoping Dubas lands a TOP 4 RHD before the TD.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008

You've just become a whiner lately, no big deal. When you come back to your senses, join us for the playoff push.

Since December 1st, they've been a Top 10 possession team and still top 5 in generating high danger chances(while being in the middle of the pack for allowing high danger chances.

As mentioned by others, this is the first game the PP has bailed us out in months.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Thing is, Willy was pretty dominant from the get go, despite the lack of points.

Not true IMO and he deserved all of the flack that he got, and I'm a diehard Nylander fan.

His separation speed just wasn't there and he fanned on SO many passes and shots.

He wasn't himself.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
You're right, the sky is still falling. Hopefully there are people thinking about the children.

I often wonder what Patrick Maroon came up with the term "Fanboy" and why you feel the need to use it as an insult to FANS OF THE BLOODY TEAM! I cheer for every player with a Leaf jersey, but please, it's "Fan Man." I haven't been a boy for many years.

On the opposite end you can't point out any flaws on here without the homer defense force coming in to say "but three points" or whatever it is. Many of the guys haven't passed the eye test for a while, getting by on talent.

Leafs have the 5th best record in the league, but take out loser points and they have the 2nd best record in the league.

2nd most regulation wins.

2nd best goal differential.

4th most goals per game.

7th fewest goals against per game.

9th best corsi for percentage. 9th best expected goals for percentage. Top-5 in both categories since Willy returned. Even better since adding Muzzin.

6th best goaltending.

Currently the hottest team in the league at 6-1-1.

If you can't enjoy this, you'll never enjoy hockey.

What are these stats since December 1st? Willing to bet they are a middle of the pack team

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Nylander for me. To fly around the net, spin, and fling a perfect laser right through the crease to Kadri's tape was wat more impressive.

Not to mention his ability to read the play and see Kadri heading to the net while being pursued plus 2 other guys waiving their sticks at him. That pass was a thing of beauty.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
On the opposite end you can't point out any flaws on here without the homer defense force coming in to say "but three points" or whatever it is. Many of the guys haven't passed the eye test for a while, getting by on talent.

What are these stats since December 1st? Willing to bet they are a middle of the pack team
cf%: 52.5% (9th)
scoring chances: 53.4 (8th)
high danger chances: 53.8 (6th)

although, they are top 5 in scoring chances and high danger chances if you adjust for score. Seems good to me

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Our PP is still pretty flop.

If you look at Tampa's they have so many moves. They do the triangle quick passing like Kadri's goal, slap pass like Marner, Stamkos bomb, Kucherov snipe and also a bomb from the point.

I would move Nylander into Matthews spot, send Kadri to the second unit and put Matthews in Kadri's spot for the slot snipes.

Nylander has a clapper, he just rarely uses it. It's obviously no Stamkos or Ovechkin bomb but it still has a zing to it that can find the back of the net.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Gallant was just on Hockey Central and was not being complimentary to his team. I wonder if the Knights check out tomorrow. Hitch ripped his team last week and had to do damage control the next day. The boys need to be ready unlike last year when they were steamrolled by the Knights.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Dubas needs to find a way to get through to Babcock that Hainsey needs to play less. Or simply trade him so he doesn't have the option.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto

This doesn't seem like fun for you. You need a new hobby.

Reactions: kb and Leafidelity

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

OCT: 8-4-0, .667pts%, +0.42gdiff
NOV: 10-4-0, .714pts%, +1.50gdiff
DEC: 8-3-2, .692pts%, +0.69gdiff
JAN: 4-6-0, .400pts%, -0.10gdiff
FEB: 5-1-1, .714pts%, +1.00gdiff

Yeah we had a bad month in january.

Reactions: BeSeeingYouSeattle

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
upload_2019-2-13_13-46-33.png

Ad