Post-Game Talk: Leafs Beat the Avalanche 5-2

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
TOI
Patrick Marleau 17:05
Andres Johnson 12:20

Imagine giving your best LW on the team the least amount of ice time, while giving a utter plug like Marleau 17+ mins. Babcock best coach in the world right?
Johnsson played like poo.

Nylander gives us a dangerous third pairing in the top 9. I want him with Matthews but while hes rolling with Kadri, go with Johnsson Matthews Kapanen and move Marleau with nylander and Kadri. I think we might see it next game.

Reactions: RLF

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Leafs are playing much better since Muzzin has arrived and the defense group is now better slotted against QofC that suits their skills better.

The PP final got some more movement and different attack positions and struck 3 times in this one which was real nice to see after struggling for a while now.

Reactions: HOF Paul Henderson

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
TOI
Patrick Marleau 17:05
Andres Johnson 12:20

Imagine giving your best LW on the team the least amount of ice time, while giving a utter plug like Marleau 17+ mins. Babcock best coach in the world right?
They won, so he must be doing something right. The best coach in the world may be an exaggeration, but you're right, he's one of the best.

great

Apr 14, 2018
Awesome game guys, missed it because it was late, but saw the highlights looked awesome!

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Anyone elee see a connection between Mitch's play and his agent creating a massive distraction?

Mitch's agent? Nah this is on Mitch as he pays the man to act that way; the agent wouldn't do that without Mitch's permission. It was a calculated move by their camp and the douchebag writer Feschuk.

Marner tried to get public sympathy and it backfired and Mitch has been struggling since.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I don't get everyone acting vindicated in here. The team still shows the same problems despite the now winning record. Passive effort most of the game with inconsistent play game to game. You never know which team you are going to get and the team still can't skate for a full 60 minutes. Hell we are lucky to get the team to skate like they did against Tampa for 20 min once a week nevermind every game.

Lots of soft plays in our own end again. Completely bailed out by Andersen several times. Andersen again hiding the lack of urgency and effort in our play away from the puck. Once again, many of us are still seeing a pretender who will get exposed in the playoffs. If it's like last year they'll sleep walk the first few games until they get embarrassed and then start playing while already basically down in the series. Meanwhile other clubs are trying to get that next level now so when it counts, they can push a bit harder and find a new level. The Leafs will be trying to find the level they had in November in the playoffs.

And to top it off, the Matthews fanboys. Holy. 3 point night for him but it seems that no one gets it or doesn't want to. It was never about the points. The same complaints were present when he had like 19 goals in 20 games. Away from the puck, he used to be a monster. Now, he looks like he doesn't give a shit. Now, his points come from his wicked shot and some high IQ plays but he is a non factor outside of scoring chances and sometimes costs the team.

He needs to have way more urgency in his game. He needs to be hounding pucks like he used to do back when he was really good defensively. I can count many times in the past 20 games he has been on the ice for key goals against including several game winning goals where he lazily pokes at the puck instead of using his body to maintain the puck like he used to do.

The 6-1-1 record is an illusion. Only positives from the game is that some guys had really good nights and the PP got going so hopefully it means the roster is going to become more fired up and reliable. Getting Nylander back will be huge come the playoffs.

However we want a cup. And right now there are too many glaring issues to know that will happen. Those of us complaining are not looking to just be negative, we just don't care about the regular season anymore. Time to win in the playoffs. I'm not sure this group has what it takes.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Johnsson played like poo.

Nylander gives us a dangerous third pairing in the top 9. I want him with Matthews but while hes rolling with Kadri, go with Johnsson Matthews Kapanen and move Marleau with nylander and Kadri. I think we might see it next game.
AJ does not appear to be in Babs core plans

Matty - Kappy
Tavares - Marner
Kadri - Willy

These are the 3 groups of 2 Babs wants to roll with in future this year. His logic is it gives him 3 lines. Each group has a guy who can be physical (Kappy, Tavares and Kadri). Each group has a shooter (Matty, Tavares and Kadri). Each group has a guy who can lug the puck and make plays.

So it is a matter of finding best fits for everyone else. Hyman has found his spot already and proven it works. So you have Marleau, Brown and AJ jostling for 2 spots. Marleau is a vet so play with 2 young guys (I am sure thats how he sees it). Then last spot he is struggling with. He wants to give it to Brown but he knows AJ is better. I think you will see this back and forth rest of season.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I don't get everyone acting vindicated in here. The team still shows the same problems despite the now winning record. Passive effort most of the game with inconsistent play game to game. You never know which team you are going to get and the team still can't skate for a full 60 minutes. Hell we are lucky to get the team to skate like they did against Tampa for 20 min once a week nevermind every game.

Lots of soft plays in our own end again. Completely bailed out by Andersen several times. Andersen again hiding the lack of urgency and effort in our play away from the puck. Once again, many of us are still seeing a pretender who will get exposed in the playoffs. If it's like last year they'll sleep walk the first few games until they get embarrassed and then start playing while already basically down in the series. Meanwhile other clubs are trying to get that next level now so when it counts, they can push a bit harder and find a new level. The Leafs will be trying to find the level they had in November in the playoffs.

And to top it off, the Matthews fanboys. Holy. 3 point night for him but it seems that no one gets it or doesn't want to. It was never about the points. The same complaints were present when he had like 19 goals in 20 games. Away from the puck, he used to be a monster. Now, he looks like he doesn't give a ****. Now, his points come from his wicked shot and some high IQ plays but he is a non factor outside of scoring chances and sometimes costs the team.

He needs to have way more urgency in his game. He needs to be hounding pucks like he used to do back when he was really good defensively. I can count many times in the past 20 games he has been on the ice for key goals against including several game winning goals where he lazily pokes at the puck instead of using his body to maintain the puck like he used to do.

The 6-1-1 record is an illusion. Only positives from the game is that some guys had really good nights and the PP got going so hopefully it means the roster is going to become more fired up and reliable. Getting Nylander back will be huge come the playoffs.

However we want a cup. And right now there are too many glaring issues to know that will happen. Those of us complaining are not looking to just be negative, we just don't care about the regular season anymore. Time to win in the playoffs. I'm not sure this group has what it takes.

Anyone watching can see they lose a lot of puck battles and hate going to the dirty areas.
They need to forget everything that happened last night.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

Matty - Kappy
Tavares - Marner
Kadri - Willy

These are the 3 groups of 2 Babs wants to roll with in future this year. His logic is it gives him 3 lines. Each group has a guy who can be physical (Kappy, Tavares and Kadri). Each group has a shooter (Matty, Tavares and Kadri). Each group has a guy who can lug the puck and make plays.

So it is a matter of finding best fits for everyone else. Hyman has found his spot already and proven it works. So you have Marleau, Brown and AJ jostling for 2 spots. Marleau is a vet so play with 2 young guys (I am sure thats how he sees it). Then last spot he is struggling with. He wants to give it to Brown but he knows AJ is better. I think you will see this back and forth rest of season.

Kappy is physical?

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Kappy is physical?
Yeah he is the iffiest on that front. I still think it would help to put a bigger stronger LW with Matty and Kappy who can win more puck battles on the forecheck. But Marleau did play well in that capacity last playoffs against Boston. My issue is he can't do it anymore with his bad back for more than 3 shifts a game. Hopefully he can get shot up for playoff games and just go for it. With the streak going on I doubt it changes for rest of season.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
2 passers and 1 shooter.

Need them all at 100% in a couple months.

If Kadri can get to the net Nylander will get him the puck.
If Tavares can get to the net Marner will get him the puck.
Who is getting Matthews the puck? Or does he have to do it all himself? :)

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Yeah he is the iffiest on that front. I still think it would help to put a bigger stronger LW with Matty and Kappy who can win more puck battles on the forecheck. But Marleau did play well in that capacity last playoffs against Boston. My issue is he can't do it anymore with his bad back for more than 3 shifts a game. Hopefully he can get shot up for playoff games and just go for it. With the streak going on I doubt it changes for rest of season.

They’ll have to trade for one, call one up, or draft one.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Crickets from those that relentlessly bashed Nylander:rolleyes:

He deserved to be bashed for coming back completely unprepared and out of shape. Nobody has ever denied his talent, so i'm not sure what you are getting at.

On a related note, Forsberg was on the radio this morning where they discussed his 27 points in 20 playoff games after missing the entire season. He said he worked his butt off to keep in shape, and never missed a beat.

Reactions: ACC1224

kb

Aug 28, 2009

Matty - Kappy
Tavares - Marner
Kadri - Willy

I don't really see the bolded in the Matthews pairing. Kapanen can lug the puck, but he lacks vision. Matthews can carry the puck, but he is at his best having someone else do it, and looking for the holes.

If it were up to me, this is what I would like to see.

Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Johnsson - Tavares - Kapanen
Marleau - Kadri - Marner

I think that lineup get it closer to that ideal you are seeking, and we already know from last year that lines 1 and 3 work spectacularly well. Tavares has a long and well deserved reputation for making the players around him so much better (Lee, Moulson, Okposo, etc.). Kapanen and Johnsson are talented players who JT could make better.

Reactions: willmma

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Anyone elee see a connection between Mitch's play and his agent creating a massive distraction?

One of the reason Darren Ferris claimed he didn't want to negotiate mid season for Marner was to avoid any distractions to his client.

I think the huge $$ Matthews got has now perhaps crept into Marner's conscience thinking of his next deal and how rich he will become also, which might be a slight distraction.

If he is about to get +$10 mil contract and massive signing bonus he will soon become a millionaire, so contract years can be distractions to players.

Last edited:

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I think its a little ridiculous Nylander didn't get an assist on that Kapanen goal. They made it unassisted yet the Avs never got possession.

Absolutely ridiculous. Nylander 100% got f***ed out of a secondary assist there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad