Post-Game Talk: Leafs beat Sabres 3-0!

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
It is so clear Sandin is ahead of a lot of defenceman and should be part of the big team this year, but of course Babcock will say "tie" goes to the veterans and keep Marincin.
Babcock choose to play Dermott who managed to get a 1/10th of a point more per 60 minutes then Marincin while giving him the softest minutes he could. Babcock choose an inspirational young player over a conservative one. Babcock isn't building a boring trap team, if Sandin can make quick plays, he'll get the nod. I wouldn't be surprise if Marincin was used more if he was on some uninspiring team like the Islanders.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Babcock choose to play Dermott who managed to get a 1/10th of a point more per 60 minutes then Marincin while giving him the softest minutes he could. Babcock choose an inspirational young player over a conservative one. Babcock isn't building a boring trap team, if Sandin can make quick plays, he'll get the nod. I wouldn't be surprise if Marincin was used more if he was on some uninspiring team like the Islanders.

In the case of Dermott I am not sure his development is being stunted. He was better 2 years ago than last. An extra year of big minutes on the Marlies is not a bad thing, even if the player looks "ready". Detroit would over develop players and you guys look at the cap and say throw them in the fire. Its kinda sad

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
In the case of Dermott I am not sure his development is being stunted. He was better 2 years ago than last. An extra year of big minutes on the Marlies is not a bad thing, even if the player looks "ready". Detroit would over develop players and you guys look at the cap and say throw them in the fire. Its kinda sad
I agree. Sandin looks ready. He's played phenomenonal. But cap is so important these days. I don't see how letting Sandin become even better with top pairing minutes on the Marlies for 1 more year is a bad thing. This will only be his draft +2 year he's headed into, and defenceman are typically slower to develop to the NHL level. As good as we all think he is this year, he'll be even better next year. Then when our D gets squeezed by the cap next season, we'll have a great young player hopping up for 3 years on the cheap. I think around here we're typically all just too trigger happy. Guilty of it myself sometimes. I think in this case, it's not as fun, BUT... patience is a virtue

Reactions: thewave

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
The kids and the new guys looked very solid and Freddy looked like Freddy.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Well he did get rid of Connor Brown, Hainsey, Marleau. Also let Gardiner alk (not that he had a choice).

Got back a fairly physical player in Ceci. Also got Ben Harpur. Signed Agostino. Heck, even Barrie plays the body more than Hainsey/Gardiner.

So overall...our team is grittier I would say. But...kerfoot is just so damn soft lmao

You are just making crap up. Be honest how many games you watch Ceci play before this year?

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Ceci is ALOT better than I expected.

The fact he doesnt handle the puck like a grenade which Zaitsev does, is a huge upgrade for us.

I dont think hes anywhere near as bad as the analytics community says.

If he can play steady then we are really set on D. I mean if Marincin drops to #8 in our depth chart then we are looking a lot better than last season.

We don't have the top D in the league, but if all goes well it won't be our shortcoming.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
31 shots against. Seemed like more for some reason, but I gather the "high impact" or high danger area numbers were higher? The breakouts seemed to be more condensed rather than the old stretch pass. I think Andersen was the only one that threw one up there. It should be interesting once we see the final roster if this style of breakout will be used more often this season.

We only got hemmed in the zone after the 2nd PP unit got caught out there at the end of the second.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
read the avs board about what they think about kerfoot. whatever they have said seems to translate to what i've seen thus far. then again still pre-season; new team, new system and new line mates

Kerfoot is fast and makes plays. Those are great attributes to have but he’s ineffective in traffic. That’s why they’re using him at center against third pairing D.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
I agree. Sandin looks ready. He's played phenomenonal. But cap is so important these days. I don't see how letting Sandin become even better with top pairing minutes on the Marlies for 1 more year is a bad thing. This will only be his draft +2 year he's headed into, and defenceman are typically slower to develop to the NHL level. As good as we all think he is this year, he'll be even better next year. Then when our D gets squeezed by the cap next season, we'll have a great young player hopping up for 3 years on the cheap. I think around here we're typically all just too trigger happy. Guilty of it myself sometimes. I think in this case, it's not as fun, BUT... patience is a virtue
I like your idea but I'd be nervous about going into next year with too many rookies on D, so I think integrating one into the lineup this year, whether it's Sandin or Lilj, into a sheltered 3rd pairing role would be worthwhile in case we lose one or two of Barrie, Muzzin and Ceci

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site

Waiver eligibility and ELC are factors but so far Sandin has been light years better than Harpur. Judging by their play so far they should go with Kivihalme on the left and Sandin on the right side. That’s my best guess right now. Marincin and Harpur as the extras.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada

Sandin is clearly one of the 6 best defensemen in the organization and we're trying to win. An extra year on the Marlies is a bad thing if we're trying to ice our best roster. Detroit hasn't been a premier player development franchise in so long, what a weird comment.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Sandin is clearly one of the 6 best defensemen in the organization and we're trying to win. An extra year on the Marlies is a bad thing if we're trying to ice our best roster. Detroit hasn't been a premier player development franchise in so long, what a weird comment.

Is it a bad thing if we have a elite sandin for years 2-5 over a less than better sandin for years 1-5.

Just saying.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Sandin has earned the right to have an extended look at the very least. However, we need to see how he handles regular NHL competition before making any proclamations that he's ready for a permanent spot in the top 6.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

I could see Sandin as the injury fill in for Dermott while out and playing in the 3rd pairing LHD spot.

He has played well in the exhibition season so far and making a case for starting the year with the Leafs due to taking advantage of injury opportunity.

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
I find it interesting that the so called stat fanatics that posted numbers here like there was no other truth are all singing Sandin's praises while saying Liljegren wasn't as good

however, to the same stat nerds well the numbers paint a different story :laugh:

PlayerTOICF%FF%SF%GF%xGF%SCF%HDCF%Off. Zone Faceoff %
Rasmus Sandin19.6541.384546.1510041.7346.674062.5
Timothy Liljegren18.255054.5557.14-48.146.674028.57
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Now if you believe the numbers are be all and end all then accept your Liljegren and Sandin take is wrong
OR
admit that using numbers is not the alpha and omega or the only truth

Well said.

Not surprising the advanced stat fanatics have avoided your post like the plague.

Reactions: PromisedLand

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

Or bring him up to play the last 39 games to retain the RFA year.

Reactions: Nylander88

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Is it a bad thing if we have a elite sandin for years 2-5 over a less than better sandin for years 1-5.

Just saying.

None of us know how it would impact his development. Perhaps the challenge of facing NHL players everyday only strengthens his development and provides the best way to improve. Another year of AHL could breed complacency. Obviously we have to hope the Leafs have the best insight into what would benefit him the most, but with how calm and unflappable he seems I really think that could be the NHL.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

I disagree, even if he I'd needed at the end of the season its better to have him conditioned for big minutes on the Marlies. There is no downside to sending him down for refinement.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Been watching all your pre season games. Loving Sandin. Spezza and Ceci have been surprisingly effective. Matthews is my early pick for the hart and I feel Bill Ny will play a big role in that.

I’ll be rooting for you guys all year in the East. Especially after the love and positive embracing of our culture when you visited NL. Plus Tyson Barrie is the f***ing man I’ll ill be a fan of whatever team he’s on for the rest of his career.

Good luck this year. Fun team to watch. Just don’t beat the Avs in your two meetings!

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
There is no downside to sending him down for refinement.

There is very much a downside to playing whoever you want on the bottom pair instead, because they are bad. Every other option is varying levels of bad. I wish we had more of a buffer but our division is simply too good to do anything but ice the best team.

Reactions: weems

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad