Post-Game Talk: Leafs beat Sabres 3-0!

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
4-1 Sabres. Babcock will continue not playing enough of the guaranteed roster and team will get off to a slow start to the regular season.

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
Iirc babcock said one game will be mostly prospects and the other mostly NHL

Since there's only 5 spots up for grabs, I assume tomorrows game, both games against the habs and one game against the red wings will be NHL players as there is 2 days between them all. One red wings game might be prospects just for the hell of it because it's a back to back.

My guess is it will be our prospects vs the wings NHL roster away and our NHL team vs red wings prospects for home.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo

Since there's only 5 spots up for grabs, I assume tomorrows game, both games against the habs and one game against the red wings will be NHL players as there is 2 days between them all. One red wings game might be prospects just for the hell of it because it's a back to back.

My guess is it will be our prospects vs the wings NHL roster away and our NHL team vs red wings prospects for home.

Most of the NHL players are not going to want to play more than 4 games in the preseason. I imagine that the Buffalo games will still have the NHL players fairly evenly split (probably slightly skewed towards more NHL players for the game in Buffalo because Buffalo will play more NHL players at home). Then the games against Montreal and Detroit will feature a mostly NHL players game and a 'just meeting the minimal requirements' game. Probably in both cases the NHL players game will be the road game.

Keep in mind that there are players still at camp that haven't got a game in. They probably all will get one.

Reactions: Ciao

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

Typically I believe the last pre-season game is usually all prospects.

The two games against the Habs we should see more of an NHL regular line up with that first game against the Red Wings something close to what we'll see on opening night.

I believe a lot of the cuts will be made by early next week to trim things down.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
It'll be interesting how Babcock uses Spezza tonight. It appears that Spezza may be used as a pawn by Babcock in a stare down after Dubas indirectly put Babcock on notice in the off season.

Reactions: Guy Boucher

Terrible GM

Jul 10, 2013
Maritimes
4-1 Sabres. Babcock will continue not playing enough of the guaranteed roster and team will get off to a slow start to the regular season.

It's the same every year for any good team! Mix in players to give them a shot in the first week, let the regulars play a little. Second week cuts are made, standouts (less than 10 players usually) will get more ice time to show if they can play with the regulars who are now getting more ice. Not everything is a result of Babcocks coaching, sometimes it just hockey. On top of that you have the sports science team who knows how to ease guys into the lineup based on their conditioning.. but sure complain for no reason. How did the Leafs start the year last year again? Something like 12 and 3 to start

Reactions: moon111 and Ciao

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Engvall was not very good at all in his last game. I hope he can show better off tonight.

I wouldn't mind seeing Timashov on that line.

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
It'll be interesting how Babcock uses Spezza tonight. It appears that Spezza may be used as a pawn by Babcock in a stare down after Dubas indirectly put Babcock on notice in the off season.

Jason Spezza meet Dominic Moore. I have heard from guys that work with the Leafs , that Babs makes a determination on a guy within 10 mins. Stubborn as hell after that. I like Spezza.

Last edited:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Be nice if a couple 22 years olds could break into the line up.

Need an infusion of youts, maybe they'll win a round.

:sarcasm:

It's all about the defense getting set.

Who works well with whom?

Get their legs, get their shape, get their identity.

Sounds like DJ in Ottawa has an idea, or maybe their players feel they can actually earn a spot based on how they perform?

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Jason Spezza meet Dominic Moore. I have heard from guys that work with the Leafs , that Babs makes a determination on a guy in 10 mins. Stubborn as hell after that. I like Spezza.

He's totally transparent with the "see if he wants to be here" etc comments

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
The Buffalo lineup will disappoint Toronto hockey fans with no one from top 6 F or top 4 D playing. It should be a walk through if the Leafs play any of their regulars. I get that teams play their better players at home to please their own fans but when the visiting team puts out a lineup without at least some top players it can result in some crappy hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad