Post-Game Talk: Leafs beat Sabres 3-0!

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Why is Rubins still up? Pretty clear he has 0 chance at any sort of NHL future.

The only reason I can see is to test if Liljegren can swim with the big boys with an anchor tied to him.

It's far more likely that the pairings have remained the same because the next game will feature Kivi and Hollowell as the third pairing with Lily and Rubins scratched.

ZippityDooDa

Dec 22, 2018
Sandin has the star-quality x-factor, Liljegren hasn't shown that yet.
Sandin looks like another intelligent, Marner-like playmaker on the back-end which we really need but won't use him until next season or possibly earlier due to injuries.

Mikheyev looks like the real deal and hopefully him and Matthews start gelling quickly. I'd say Mikheyev is possibly 4th/5th on the depth chart in talent/skill. Wouldn't be surprised if he gets 50+ pts.

Babcock already loves Mikky and it may finally be a good thing because he looks like a competent player in all situations. We'll see.

Matthews
Marner
Tavares
Rielly
Mikheyev/Nylander

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
You're setting yourself up for disappointment, imo. He's never produced 50+ points in the NHL. He's a good 3C option, capable of 40 points. He also has a good skill set, keeps his emotions in check and has a good puck posession style that fits this team.

More body of work does have to be seen but expecting more than 40 at this point is just too much. I feel people place unrealistic expectations on players just because they were traded for a 'key' player we had.

Kerfoot is perfect for 3C. Kadri was a luxury, but he made himself replaceable with his antics the past two years in the playoffs. He also had a lackluster regular season last year. He needed a fresh start, Colorado was the team for him.

I think Kadri will be good for Avs, Kerfoot will be good for Leafs. It's a good trade for both teams.

Let's be fair. Colorado was a one line team when Kerfoot was there with very little offensive talent beyond the top 3. But he was capable on the PP (scored more than Kadri), so if he does get time on the PP, whether on a stacked 1st PP replacing Kadri a la last year or a split PP he could crack 50pts because he will rack up PP points along with playing with superior offensive players ES (Johnsson, Mikheyv, Kapanen, Moore are main the options, all look capable of seasons of 40+ points themselves) than he got to play with in Colorado and lesser quality opposition to play against. It is possible, but I will be happy with him getting 40.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Why is Rubins still up? Pretty clear he has 0 chance at any sort of NHL future.

The only reason I can see is to test if Liljegren can swim with the big boys with an anchor tied to him.

I was impressed with his size and compete. Exactly the kind of kid who could be a diamond in the rough. He was as high as 99th ranked in his draft year and went undrafted.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I was impressed with his size and compete. Exactly the kind of kid who could be a diamond in the rough. He was as high as 99th ranked in his draft year and went undrafted.

He struggles making 6 foot passes with no pressure. Size and compete only goes so far.

KK91

Jan 7, 2009
Nylander was super legit last night!!! Excited to see he’s playing well

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
At this point the drop from Kadri to Kerfoot due to cap reasons seems to be a fairly significant drop as #3C role based on the early viewing of Kerfoot.

Seems like the plan is Mikheyev -- Kerfoot -- Kapanen as Leafs 3rd line and lots of questions at this time as to how much impact they might have.

I wouldn't be surprised if Kerfoot isn't a popular Leaf...

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if Kerfoot isn't a popular Leaf...

Kadri fans certainly remain vocal for quite a while about their displeasure he isn't Kadri. I prefer to be a fan of the team first, myself.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Neither was Gardiner

Using this fan base as some sort of player evaluation tool is for mugs, a lot of people wouldn't know a decent player if one fell on them
Gardiner homers always make me giggle. How much more evidence do you need you don't win with a guy like that in your top 4?

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Wondering how Mikhaev and Korshkov have looked?

Micheyev has looked good, has had a number of solid scoring chances and has shown decent chemistry with Kerfoot, but their line has been hobbled with little decent 3rd guy to get them to the next level. Moore, Agostino or maybe Envall look like the best options to start the year. Korshkov looks to be at about at a Elyniuk level of player. I'll be honest and say Gauthier has been performing much better this pre-season. He needs a year at least in the AHL for us to see if there's anything there of interest, but right now there's a bunch of Marlies his size who he's got pass on the depth chart to get anywhere near the Leafs roster.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
The team didn't lose because Gardiner was on the team

He was a net positive not a negative
Well you keep ignoring the facts and tell yourself whatever you have to. Luckily not our problem anymore.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Neither was Gardiner

Using this fan base as some sort of player evaluation tool is for mugs, a lot of people wouldn't know a decent player if one fell on them

Gardiner wasn't unpopular. He was polarizing for his catastrophic meltdowns on the biggest stage at the most crucial moment.

Don't throw around 'evaluation tool' and then open up a bunch of pointless stats because we all know Gardiner was quality except in those situations.

Kerfoot feels like he's going to be earmarked as a cap casualty sooner or later.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad