Post-Game Talk: Leafs beat Sabres 3-0!

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Sandin is clearly one of the 6 best defensemen in the organization and we're trying to win. An extra year on the Marlies is a bad thing if we're trying to ice our best roster. Detroit hasn't been a premier player development franchise in so long, what a weird comment.

All this based on a couple pre season games. Amazing analysis.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
All this based on a couple pre season games. Amazing analysis.

Well, to be fair....

- Weve seen Marincin for a LONG time.

- Schmaltz is like a 4 yr pro who cant stick.

- Holl is what? 27? Babs wont use him anyways.

- Harpur is a disaster.

So yeah, while its "only been a few pre season games" for Sandin, it's been a lot longer for his competition and we can safely make conclusions on those guys I think.

Not sure it's really unfair to say Sandin is one of the 6 best defenders in the org bc those hes competing against leave little to be desired.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I was watching Kerfoot and Mikheyev in this game closely who are projected to be 2/3rds of Leafs 3rd line this year, but them seemed fairly invisible against was mainly an AHL lineup.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
In the case of Dermott I am not sure his development is being stunted. He was better 2 years ago than last. An extra year of big minutes on the Marlies is not a bad thing, even if the player looks "ready". Detroit would over develop players and you guys look at the cap and say throw them in the fire. Its kinda sad

I like the idea of him over developing in the AHL for the first part of the season, have him play big minutes and ooze confidence as a top 4 defenseman and bring him in hot than let him start tentatively on the bottom pair and see how it goes.

September hockey isn't November hockey.

Reactions: thewave

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Well, to be fair....

- Weve seen Marincin for a LONG time.

- Schmaltz is like a 4 yr pro who cant stick.

- Holl is what? 27? Babs wont use him anyways.

- Harpur is a disaster.

So yeah, while its "only been a few pre season games" for Sandin, it's been a lot longer for his competition and we can safely make conclusions on those guys I think.

Not sure it's really unfair to say Sandin is one of the 6 best defenders in the org bc those hes competing against leave little to be desired.

If he keeps it up, he can start the season on the 3rd pairing until Dermott is ready. Then he can go back to the Marlies to log top minutes and be the first call up if we lose a LHD to injury.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I was watching Kerfoot and Mikheyev in this game closely who are projected to be 2/3rds of Leafs 3rd line this year, but them seemed fairly invisible against was mainly an AHL lineup.

There was that one broken rush with Timashov last night but they all looked pretty unremarkable. I'm guessing Kerfoot probably won't be a long term solution at 3C.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

Looks like Woll is back with the team. Seems fast but hopefully he can be healthy to start the season with the Marlies.

I mean, IIRC, he only broke his finger and that happened back in August.

So I’m not surprised he’s good to go now

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
It’s so good to be back in town, watching the Leafs and quaffing some tasty beers...I really like these craft beers, something you need to spend close to $17 for a pint in Thailand. However, one complaint from last night’s game would be my eyes ain’t what they used to be . With so many new players and numbers and sitting just far enough away from the screens, it wasn’t until mid way through the second that I was able to figure out who was who .
My short takes:
Freddy A: very athletic and composed.
Mo: early days, but improved as the game went on.
Ceci: big, better skater than remembered, can make an outlet pass, room to grow.
Sandin: my first viewing, great vision and awareness, needs strength.
Liljegren: competes, strong, will be better with better partner(s).
Dermott: , when he returns pair him with either RS or TL.
J,M,N: thank you, and Willy looked good.
Mykrussian: this guy looks a player, skates well, strong, play him.
Kerfoot: didn’t see much.
Agostino: hustled, physical, decent for his role.

Can’t really comment on the rest, but happy we won.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
There was that one broken rush with Timashov last night but they all looked pretty unremarkable. I'm guessing Kerfoot probably won't be a long term solution at 3C.

At this point the drop from Kadri to Kerfoot due to cap reasons seems to be a fairly significant drop as #3C role based on the early viewing of Kerfoot.

Seems like the plan is Mikheyev -- Kerfoot -- Kapanen as Leafs 3rd line and lots of questions at this time as to how much impact they might have.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
At this point the drop from Kadri to Kerfoot due to cap reasons seems to be a fairly significant drop as #3C role based on the early viewing of Kerfoot.

Seems like the plan is Mikheyev -- Kerfoot -- Kapanen as Leafs 3rd line and lots of questions at this time as to how much impact they might have.

I wouldn't be surprised if deep into the season they roll with:

Kerfoot/Mikheyev - Spezza - Kapanen
Kerfoot/Mikheyev - Goat - Moore

this is assuming kerfoot line isn't targeted heavily by opposition or if it is then kerfoot line is able to weather the storm

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
In the case of Dermott I am not sure his development is being stunted. He was better 2 years ago than last. An extra year of big minutes on the Marlies is not a bad thing, even if the player looks "ready". Detroit would over develop players and you guys look at the cap and say throw them in the fire. Its kinda sad

I hear this a lot. Detroit would over cook their prospects. With appologies I am not very in tune with the old Detroit teams but who did they overcook?
Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Rafalski, Lidstrom, Yzerman, Federov ??

Or their 3-4th line guys?

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017

For sure its, a pretty decent drop but I see flashes of a pretty decent player from Kerfoot, need a better look once teams release there AHL guys

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I wouldn't be surprised if deep into the season they roll with:

Kerfoot/Mikheyev - Spezza - Kapanen
Kerfoot/Mikheyev - Goat - Moore

this is assuming kerfoot line isn't targeted heavily by opposition or if it is then kerfoot line is able to weather the storm

At his age and decline I see Spezza as a part-time role and 4th line depth player, after coming off 8 goal and 26 point season the past 2 years.

Babcock is already trying to motivate him early into trying and working and competing harder and finding a niche role in roles he hasn't been in the past. 2nd PP, taking FO on PK and 4th liner.

So I'm really hoping Kerfoot is a player and locks down that 3rd line C role and puts up 20 goals +50 points with some PP time tossed in.

Last edited:

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
You are just making crap up. Be honest how many games you watch Ceci play before this year?

lol I'm literally going off the 1st 2 games of this pre-season...and he's played the body a lot more than Hainsey and Gardiner ever has.

When I say physical, I'm not talking Radko Gudas here. I'm literally just saying he plays the body a lot more than who we used to have. Which is an upgrade.

Settle down hotshot

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I like the idea of him over developing in the AHL for the first part of the season, have him play big minutes and ooze confidence as a top 4 defenseman and bring him in hot than let him start tentatively on the bottom pair and see how it goes.

September hockey isn't November hockey.

That and its common to legit need a D down the stretch, no better time to bring up a pumped up and excited kid who has been chewing big mins and wants to make a name for himself.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
So I'm really hoping Kerfoot is a player and locks down that 3rd line C role and puts up 20 goals +50 points with some PP time tossed in.
You're setting yourself up for disappointment, imo. He's never produced 50+ points in the NHL. He's a good 3C option, capable of 40 points. He also has a good skill set, keeps his emotions in check and has a good puck posession style that fits this team.

More body of work does have to be seen but expecting more than 40 at this point is just too much. I feel people place unrealistic expectations on players just because they were traded for a 'key' player we had.

Kerfoot is perfect for 3C. Kadri was a luxury, but he made himself replaceable with his antics the past two years in the playoffs. He also had a lackluster regular season last year. He needed a fresh start, Colorado was the team for him.

I think Kadri will be good for Avs, Kerfoot will be good for Leafs. It's a good trade for both teams.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
I hear this a lot. Detroit would over cook their prospects. With appologies I am not very in tune with the old Detroit teams but who did they overcook?

They continued to sign old players to fill depth roles and wouldn't give their AHL players a shot (I guess in a way over-cooking them) until they lost those young players on waivers. For the most part with Detroit you were either good enough to make the roster immediately or you never made the roster and people would claim that they were over-cooking the player in the minors.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Why is Rubins still up? Pretty clear he has 0 chance at any sort of NHL future.

The only reason I can see is to test if Liljegren can swim with the big boys with an anchor tied to him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad