Post-Game Talk: Leafs beat Connor Hellebuyck 4-3, end 3 game skid in OT

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Helle almost saved that. Came across in great position and control, despite it being a far more surprising and last second pass close in to the goal.

Despite the Connor pass being telegraphed and early and further out, Freddy could only flop in desperation and came nowhere near saving that shot.
Goalie is supposed to play the shooter. When a goalie trusts the d they do, when they don't they play the pass. Leafs should fake the pass and shoot especially as they are seen as a pass first team

Reactions: NikoEhlers

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
We’re 1-3 in our last four but honestly should be 4-0. These goalies we’re facing have been out of their minds. No blame on Freddy for this one ehlers was sniping.
Also I know it turned out in our favour but how do the refs let that slash go in overtime? Just crazy

Even crazier is Mo's decision to go to the bench for a new stick!

Pretty hilarious.

Reactions: Smif and Confucius

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
We’re 1-3 in our last four but honestly should be 4-0. These goalies we’re facing have been out of their minds. No blame on Freddy for this one ehlers was sniping.
Also I know it turned out in our favour but how do the refs let that slash go in overtime? Just crazy
Yes that slash in OT made my blood boil over ... especially after that BS call on Bogo in 3rd ... f*ck give us a bs penalty and not call an obvious one on them wow ... again here we go with refs doing game management helping out da weaker team ... p*sses me off ... this is not house league hockey

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Even crazier is Mo's decision to go to the bench for a new stick!

Pretty hilarious.

Post game I was wondering why he just left the play :laugh:

If the Leafs got scored on there it wouldn't be pretty for Mo .. Instead Matthews/Marner bailed him out and win the game :laugh:

I think Rielly was just pissed about the non-call and wasn't thinking straight in that moment.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Yes that slash in OT made my blood boil over ... especially after that BS call on Bogo in 3rd ... f*ck give us a bs penalty and not call an obvious one on them wow ... again here we go with refs doing game management helping out da weaker team ... p*sses me off ... this is not house league hockey
If the Jets would have scored in OT after that I legit might have been done with the season.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Wonder what happens to Vesey this weekend. Prior to the Jets' second goal he was having a great game in his limited ice time .. But that defensive brain fart might see him out of the line up next game.

Reactions: Leaftors

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
Do we have a clear video/gif of that slash?

I was so pissed, and when Matthews' scored I was so revved up I was dropping f-bombs including saying f*** you ref.

My wife probably wasn't impressed :laugh:

All good, we’ve all been there lol

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Leafs have upgraded their D core
&
Improved their defensive play
&
Allowed less odd man rushes and high danger scoring chances

Still Andersen remains the weakest link and Leafs alkalies heel as he just doesn't seem to be able to provide the key save when needed. Then you watch Hellebuyck make difficult saves all the time some of which seem even unreasonable for most goalies as he keeps his team in games and gives them a chance to win.

That game shouldn't have gone to OT if Andersen could/should have made a routine save with 2 minutes to go, even before Jets pulled their goalie.

To be honest, we should have won the last 4 games in regulation, and the last 2 games should have been blowouts.

Instead, we got 2 out of 8 points.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Do we have a clear video/gif of that slash?

I was so pissed, and when Matthews' scored I was so revved up I was dropping f-bombs including saying f*** you ref.

My wife probably wasn't impressed :laugh:

Ya I jumped up and was swearing at the TV too. I'll blame the couple of drinks I had in me lol

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
Hi guys, new to the board. Just want to say, I am hideously, addicted to the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Kinda long in the tooth. But I can say legitimately. I played a different sport, other than hockey, but hockey was the sport, I wanted to play professionally.

I did pretty well in that other sport, but I wanted to be a Howe, an Orr, heck, even my old friend, who I spent hours with talking. Red Kelly.

But was not to be.

Still young in certain ways. I sponsor, good things. And good things? Well lets start with this jewish Toronto boy, Zach Hyman.

He just came off major surgery. On his knee. Does he come back less, no, he comes back more.

I played professional sport. Guys like Hyman. This is a guy, who is IRREPLACEABLE. In my opinion

Heck just to top it off, the guy writes children books.

Think about that. Hardest working pro athlete in Toronto history, is writing books for children.

Kyle, you gotta resign this guy. He ain't Matthews, he ain't Marner, they are freaks. But he is, Zach Hyman.

Do you let Andersen go to accomadate this guy? Well I sat beside the second youngest GM of the Leafs and his answer would be. You sign Zach Hyman. You do everything to keep him.

Anyways, hope to have some news about my friend Borje Salming very soon.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

If the Leafs got scored on there it wouldn't be pretty for Mo .. Instead Matthews/Marner bailed him out and win the game :laugh:

I think Rielly was just pissed about the non-call and wasn't thinking straight in that moment.

What is he going to do without a stick? Block the passing lanes?

It might as well have been a 3-on-2 if he just stayed.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
What a fun 3rd period and OT to be able to watch with my boy after a busy evening of being on the ice . . .

I've gone back and watched that AM OT winner at least a dozen times, and it doesn't get old how absolutely crazy good that finish is . . . what a beautiful saucer pass, AM actually slides right giving himself more distance from the D but less angle on the goalie, and then he does the quickest and hardest backhand finish I've ever seen, on the best and hottest goalie in the league. Just incredible.

An important win too, to get back in the win column! We would not be denied, and AM (and Freddy in OT, don't forget!) made sure of that.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012

Jesus, massive two hand chop and the sound of it getting snapped even echos around the arena.

BRUTAL non call.

You think anyone even gives the refs hell after the game? I have no faith in any accountability for these guys. You have to call that. Its almost automatic when a guy chops a stick in half right?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Wonder what happens to Vesey this weekend. Prior to the Jets' second goal he was having a great game in his limited ice time .. But that defensive brain fart might see him out of the line up next game.

I thought it was playing energized and focused early in the game as well. But it seems like he’s running out of margin of error despite his uptick in production a few games ago. Maybe just too little too late.

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place
Anybody have any diet advice. I drank too many Jets fans tears and seem to be full.

Jets fans stamping their feet over the slash on Morgan and saying we are the ones overreacting? Lol. Your team needs a goalie, Ehlers, and blind refs to win games.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009

Jesus, massive two hand chop and the sound of it getting snapped even echos around the arena.

BRUTAL non call.

You think anyone even gives the refs hell after the game? I have no faith in any accountability for these guys. You have to call that. Its almost automatic when a guy chops a stick in half right?

100% an automatic call and one they make pretty much all the time whenever someone's stick is broken from a slash. They just missed it entirely.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto

BRUTAL non call.

The refs are so bad.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
100% an automatic call and one they make pretty much all the time whenever someone's stick is broken from a slash. They just missed it entirely.

How the hell do 2 refs miss it?

Andersen was looking for the call.....Marner knew it right away.....Matthews had a split second pause.....Rielly is holding up half a stick showing the evidence of what exactly happened when we all heard that loud cracking noise......hell, even the Jet player paused for a sec thinking it was a penalty. It was so obviously a penalty that time stopped for a sec. Even if you dont see it clearly, there is literally only one possible explanation for what happened. What morons.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
How the hell do 2 refs miss it?

Andersen was looking for the call.....Marner knew it right away.....Matthews had a split second pause.....Rielly is holding up half a stick showing the evidence of what exactly happened when we all heard that loud cracking noise......hell, even the Jet player paused for a sec thinking it was a penalty. It was so obviously a penalty that time stopped for a sec. Even if you dont see it clearly, there is literally only one possible explanation for what happened. What morons.
Yeah, no clue. When it happened I said to myself well here comes a PP haha

Reactions: Zybalto

Leaf4Life

Feb 8, 2010

BRUTAL non call.

Imagine if Jets scored right after that slash??

HF would literally implode and we'd be on page 101 of the PGT.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA

I think Rielly made the right choice. You have to play to win in overtime. Playing not to lose will turn out badly most of the time. The blame was completely on the ref.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad