Post-Game Talk: Leafs beat Connor Hellebuyck 4-3, end 3 game skid in OT

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Since the benching Nylander leads the team in goals/ points and most impressively has only been on the ice for 1 goal against 5v5.

Matthews and Marner have actually been terrible over the same stretch but I don't believe there is any need to worry about those two.
I appreciate the subtleness of the message. lol

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
I am honestly shocked at the jets board. They think the games have been good and they match up well against us.

Like I am blown away that they didnt see the absolute onslaught helle faced. That was the leafs vs helle. Guy is unreal.

Cant believe their fans dont see the game for what it was. Domination from one team that is getting stopped by a goalie that went god mode.

Reactions: Pinto and zeke

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I am honestly shocked at the jets board. They think the games have been good and they match up well against us.

Like I am blown away that they didnt see the absolute onslaught helle faced. That was the leafs vs helle. Guy is unreal.

Cant believe their fans dont see the game for what it was. Domination from one team that is getting stopped by a goalie that went god mode.

I remember well the Randy leafs days when a younger zeke chose denial, too.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Strange game to pick on Andy ... I think a better question is, had Helle not stood on his head and the Leafs won 6-3, or something like that, would Andersen still be criticized for this game? He wasn't bad, didn't let in any soft goals, just couldn't come up with some ten bell saves to get this in regulation.

Andy's had his ups and downs this year though for sure and I'm ready to look at other options next year.

Just feels like we're back to this carousel of heavily blaming of the goalie because he's not a Vezina candidate.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Let's see if Dubie has some balls and makes a big trade at the deadline kinda like the Marc Gasol trade during the Raps championship year. I am talking about a goalie. I don't know who is available. Forget about a forward or a D.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Strange game to pick on Andy ... I think a better question is, had Helle not stood on his head and the Leafs won 6-3, or something like that, would Andersen still be criticized for this game? He wasn't bad, didn't let in any soft goals, just couldn't come up with some ten bell saves to get this in regulation.

Andy's had his ups and downs this year though for sure and I'm ready to look at other options next year.

Just feels like we're back to this carousel of heavily blaming of the goalie because he's not a Vezina candidate.

The frustration with Andersen is that the goals hes letting in arent necessarily his fault, but he needs to save some of them too. We're a Cup contender. Our goalie needs to stop more of the the "no chance" shots then he is doing. Its crippling to play a near defensively perfect game and have the goalie let in the only few chances against him. Hes sub .900 in the past three games.

Reactions: definedMF and glue

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

They are the Kessel era leafs, hot goalie and snipers. They can beat any team on any night. They are also good on the cycle. Their system is good but they are not solid enough to handle the leads depth of skill, but a Vezina goalie is a game changer and part of the team so the jets fans have a fair point, they match up well against any team

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
Freddy was good yesterday. I mean some shots are really tough to stop.

Here we have a 2-1 odd man rush, cross ice pass and Freddy has no chance.

And here we have a 2-5 odd man rush, cross ice pass and Helly has no chance.

:sarcasm:

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

Here here ... no one should expect Freddy to make any one of those saves ... but people think he is an athletic goaler who can fly across net and reflex on a dime with his glove or blocker when reality is that has never been his game

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
The frustration with Andersen is that the goals hes letting in arent necessarily his fault, but he needs to save some of them too. We're a Cup contender. Our goalie needs to stop more of the the "no chance" shots then he is doing. Its crippling to play a near defensively perfect game and have the goalie let in the only few chances against him. Hes sub .900 in the past three games.
But is it bias saying he doesn't make a bunch of those saves each game? My bias made me see at least 5 stops that were tipped or open looks in close last game

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

I would agree .. If he comes up with 1 of those big saves on those goals, the Leafs win this in regulation.

As I've maintained, we can do better in net that Andersen but I think we can do a lot worse too.

I think the focus should be getting Campbell healthy so he can get some games in as we head toward the stretch and see if he's a better option for the playoffs. At the same time let Andersen also get back into form after his injury and see if he improves.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
Hellebuyck was great but there was a lot of luck on some of those saves. The Leafs have a history of struggling vs hot goaltending and letting it get into their heads but they seem to be improving their ability to breakthrough. In the end this is probably the best case scenario for the team to get over the "hot goalie" hump before they face another Korpisalo situation in the playoffs, bonus points since there's a good chance of it being Hellebuyck himself.

I won't say much about our goaltending except nothing last night really moved the needle, that first goal you'd like to see a save on more often than not but otherwise pretty much any goalie in the league should come out of that game with a win and they don't give extra points for style.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
The Leafs have their back to back this weekend and then a 5-day break. Need a win, preferably in regulation on Saturday, and need to at least get a point against the Sens on Sunday.

From there other teams will start to get their games in hand played.

A big rest for this team is on the horizon which should help Keefe get this kinks we're seeing defensively ironed out.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Freddy was good yesterday. I mean some shots are really tough to stop.

Here we have a 2-1 odd man rush, cross ice pass and Freddy has no chance.

And here we have a 2-5 odd man rush, cross ice pass and Helly has no chance.

:sarcasm:

Helle almost saved that. Came across in great position and control, despite it being a far more surprising and last second pass close in to the goal.

Despite the Connor pass being telegraphed and early and further out, Freddy could only flop in desperation and came nowhere near saving that shot.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
But is it bias saying he doesn't make a bunch of those saves each game? My bias made me see at least 5 stops that were tipped or open looks in close last game

His save% is 16th amongst goalies with at least 15 games played at a .902. Three behind James Reimer and just above Mikko Koskinen. The Leafs are allowing the 7th fewest shots in the league. Thats probably the best in my lifetime.

He can absolutely be better.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
We have to play virtually mistake free hockey to win a playoff round with Freddy between the pipes.

Leafs have upgraded their D core
&
Improved their defensive play
&
Allowed less odd man rushes and high danger scoring chances

Still Andersen remains the weakest link and Leafs alkalies heel as he just doesn't seem to be able to provide the key save when needed. Then you watch Hellebuyck make difficult saves all the time some of which seem even unreasonable for most goalies as he keeps his team in games and gives them a chance to win.

That game shouldn't have gone to OT if Andersen could/should have made a routine save with 2 minutes to go, even before Jets pulled their goalie.

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
Helle almost saved that. Came across in great position and control, despite it being a far more surprising and last second pass close in to the goal.

Despite the Connor pass being telegraphed and early and further out, Freddy could only flop in desperation and came nowhere near saving that shot.

I was kind of making a joke about JT dismantling of the Jets and creating 2 on 5 odd man rush

Reactions: zeke

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
We’re 1-3 in our last four but honestly should be 4-0. These goalies we’re facing have been out of their minds. No blame on Freddy for this one ehlers was sniping.
Also I know it turned out in our favour but how do the refs let that slash go in overtime? Just crazy

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
His save% is 16th amongst goalies with at least 15 games played at a .902. Three behind James Reimer and just above Mikko Koskinen. The Leafs are allowing the 7th fewest shots in the league. Thats probably the best in my lifetime.

He can absolutely be better.
I agree he can do better but the level of panic directed at him is unreasonable, not saying from you just in general.
Also there is a strong possibility he finishes the season with a higher save percentage.
Also.06% is insignificant and Mikko Koskinen is at.899%

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad