Post-Game Talk: Leafs beat Connor Hellebuyck 4-3, end 3 game skid in OT

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
How the hell do 2 refs miss it?

Andersen was looking for the call.....Marner knew it right away.....Matthews had a split second pause.....Rielly is holding up half a stick showing the evidence of what exactly happened when we all heard that loud cracking noise......hell, even the Jet player paused for a sec thinking it was a penalty. It was so obviously a penalty that time stopped for a sec. Even if you dont see it clearly, there is literally only one possible explanation for what happened. What morons.
Ignored call in every sense. Except the sense of sight of course. It’s not a requirement for Campbells crew of frauds. Game fixers is not the word. Game management ha. Cheats

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Anybody have any diet advice. I drank too many Jets fans tears and seem to be full.

Jets fans stamping their feet over the slash on Morgan and saying we are the ones overreacting? Lol. Your team needs a goalie, Ehlers, and blind refs to win games.
Any sodium free plan will work but it’s likely going to take until the end of summer because I imagine they were pretty salty.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I thought it was playing energized and focused early in the game as well. But it seems like he’s running out of margin of error despite his uptick in production a few games ago. Maybe just too little too late.
He tried to press extra hard because we was in a battle against a brick wall

seriously,,nothing to see here ,,he took a gamble to get into a wide open high slot and it did not pay off

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015

Jesus, massive two hand chop and the sound of it getting snapped even echos around the arena.

BRUTAL non call.

You think anyone even gives the refs hell after the game? I have no faith in any accountability for these guys. You have to call that. Its almost automatic when a guy chops a stick in half right?

Literally two hand slashes Rielly stick before Rielly had even gotten to the puck. You know if that was the reverse a leaf player is in the box. Even if it is OT

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
How the hell do 2 refs miss it?

Andersen was looking for the call.....Marner knew it right away.....Matthews had a split second pause.....Rielly is holding up half a stick showing the evidence of what exactly happened when we all heard that loud cracking noise......hell, even the Jet player paused for a sec thinking it was a penalty. It was so obviously a penalty that time stopped for a sec. Even if you dont see it clearly, there is literally only one possible explanation for what happened. What morons.
You can literally see multiple players look over the refs directly afterwards. Most notable being Andy

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I think Rielly made the right choice. You have to play to win in overtime. Playing not to lose will turn out badly most of the time. The blame was completely on the ref.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't IMO.

Staying out there gives you a chance to use your body to block a pass but renders you useless to play the puck.

Going to the bench to get a stick puts faith in your teammates that they can defensively hold the fort and/or cause a turnover to get the puck leaving you with a rush chance to win it.

We saw the latter and, honestly, in 3 on 3 OT you play to win and be aggressive. IMO it was the right call since odds were, without a stick, it wouldn't have helped as much.

Marner came up huge blocking those passing lanes and getting the puck to Mo.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

Jesus, massive two hand chop and the sound of it getting snapped even echos around the arena.

BRUTAL non call.

You think anyone even gives the refs hell after the game? I have no faith in any accountability for these guys. You have to call that. Its almost automatic when a guy chops a stick in half right?

Just hilariously bad reffing lmao

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Literally two hand slashes Rielly stick before Rielly had even gotten to the puck. You know if that was the reverse a leaf player is in the box. Even if it is OT
This was a decision made by both refs to ignore an obvious penalty in OT ... so then lets make an announcement before OT ok boys do what you want out there we are playing playoff hockey right now ... whistle has been put away ... decide it for yourselves ... and I am ok with those rules if everything is agreed upfront ... F*** sakes ... those d*cks should be witheld their pay as a consequence

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Strange game to pick on Andy ... I think a better question is, had Helle not stood on his head and the Leafs won 6-3, or something like that, would Andersen still be criticized for this game? He wasn't bad, didn't let in any soft goals, just couldn't come up with some ten bell saves to get this in regulation.

Andy's had his ups and downs this year though for sure and I'm ready to look at other options next year.

Just feels like we're back to this carousel of heavily blaming of the goalie because he's not a Vezina candidate.
Naw,,,,,, no way big fella,,go back to the tapes

that last goal is all on Fred ,,,he was wayyyy too far to his right,,the left side of the net was wide open

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
His save% is 16th amongst goalies with at least 15 games played at a .902. Three behind James Reimer and just above Mikko Koskinen. The Leafs are allowing the 7th fewest shots in the league. Thats probably the best in my lifetime.

He can absolutely be better.
sorry,,,, but 15 games is a terrible number to use,,20 games into the season and many teams use split rotations,,IMO 10 games is the fair number to capture all the starters

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I agree he can do better but the level of panic directed at him is unreasonable, not saying from you just in general.
Also there is a strong possibility he finishes the season with a higher save percentage.
Also.06% is insignificant and Mikko Koskinen is at.899%
Fred has a .902 sv% on the season,,,,that is flat out pathetic

that ranks him 30th amongst starters with 10+ games

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

that last goal is all on Fred ,,,he was wayyyy too far to his right,,the left side of the net was wide open
Freddy plays da Elkin system of positioning and that is exactly how they are trained on shot from left point to anchor on left post ... he followed da system to a tee ... i only know as i had a couple team goalers train with Elkin and watched a few of his training sessions in Mississauga ... you do realize these goalies today follow a program to how they play ... it is not like back in da day where I played where goalers puked between periods and most were radical head cases and coaches were like lookie here if you let in 1 more that's it ur pulled

Fisticuffer

Mar 14, 2020
Gotta give willy some massive props. That might be the best game he's ever played.

Would be amazing if he still had another level to reach.
Not a Leafs fan but they’re entertaining so I watch them often. I couldn’t agree more with your thought. He even did some really good things defensively and showed a “oh we’re not losing this one” mentality.

Reactions: Leaftors and zeke

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Yup, despite scoring the OT winner he was extremely passive tonight, so many times where he would normally rifle it, he deferred to a team mate. That pass to Muzzin on the 4 on 2 really had me puzzled for a bit. A healthy Matthews would've let that one rip.

Tavares and Nylander were our best forwards tonight, if not for Helly going god mode on us, both of those guys should've had 4 or 5 point nights, that's how many chances they were generating.
On the positive side, we're not going to meet anyone who will play better than that in the opposition goal. If we play like that, and Matthews is healthy, I really believe no one can beat us in a 7 game series.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009

maybe you should go back to the tape and realize the peg player was on the side boards just above the hash marks and that's why Andy was positioned where he was

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Is it not simultaneously possible to fully enjoy the victory while realizing that Andersen has cost the Leafs many points so far with poor goaltending?

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Fred has a .902 sv% on the season,,,,that is flat out pathetic

that ranks him 30th amongst starters with 10+ games
Of the 16 golaie that have 16 or more starts, 10 starts at this point of the season does not a starter make, Fred ranks 10th is save %. Some names below him include John Gibson Matt Murray and Pekka Rinne. He is in the neighborhood of Cary Price and Jordan Binnington and only a couple are way ahead in the elite category.
He's tied of 3rd for the most starts and tied for 2nd for wins.
Pathetic?

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Of the 16 golaie that have 16 or more starts, 10 starts at this point of the season does not a starter make, Fred ranks 10th is save %. Some names below him include John Gibson Matt Murray and Pekka Rinne. He is in the neighborhood of Cary Price and Jordan Binnington and only a couple are way ahead in the elite category.
He's tied of 3rd for the most starts and tied for 2nd for wins.
Pathetic?

ya,,,, like teams don't have a designed 60/40,,50/50 split rotation with their starters

so lets eliminate entire teams just to fit your broken narrativeo_O

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
ya,,,, like teams don't have a designed 60/40,,50/50 split rotation with their starters

so lets eliminate entire teams just to fight your broken narrativeo_O
My narrative regarding a starter is simple, they play the bulls share of the games. Save percentage is more true with the more games you play that's just mathematics not a narrative.
But you can ignore the fact that half the league has goalies that started 16 or more games and where Fred ranks in that category. With that logic we should snap up Logan Thompson with his 1.00sv% he's the best goalie going

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
My narrative regarding a starter is simple, they play the bulls share of the games. Save percentage is more true with the more games you play that's just mathematics not a narrative.
But you can ignore the fact that half the league has goalies that started 16 or more games and where Fred ranks in that category. With that logic we should snap up Logan Thompson with his 1.00sv% he's the best goalie going
congratulations a search of "starters" with 16 starts produced 20 tenders

you have eliminated,,, 1/3,,, 33%,,,, of the teams in the league to fit your garbage narrative

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad