Post-Game Talk: Leafs beat Connor Hellebuyck 4-3, end 3 game skid in OT

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
upload_2021-3-12_7-7-7.png

it was a dominating performance from start to finish. Arguably one of their better games all year. They really did not make many mistakes in the game, and the ones they did unfortunately ended up in the back of the cage. Helly is no joke, guy is outstanding. But aside from him and Ehlers, there really was nothing impressive from Winnipeg. Their defence is horrendous. back to back games where the Leafs have had over 20+ HDCF. It is actually remarkable how they are so high in the standings, and a true testament to Helly

Reactions: 67leafs

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Honestly with the way Tavares and Nylander have looked the past few games I wouldn't mind swapping that lines ice time with the Matthews/Marner line for a bit so we don't burn them out before playoffs.

Only a matter of time before the shooting % turns around in a big way and gives them a chabce to rack up some points.

Especially while Matthews is dealing with the wrist injury. He doesn't need to play 8 minutes more than JT.

The Matthews/Marner line looked a lot better last night when Hyman was a main stay. This is Winnipeg we're talking about though so a better defensive team will be needed to really know if that line is back in business. Regardless, I do think the JT/Nylander line does deserve more minutes. JT had looked better and Nylander has been really good. They're also defensively sound not allowing many goals 5v5. They should be playing around 18 minutes a game.

In a game where Nylander looked like an absolute beast from start to finish he still only played around his average 16 minutes.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Do any other website count it as a HDC? As if that second Ehlers goal isn't a HDC then that is madness. Literally 2 on 1 whereby he receives a perfect cross seam pass right into the slot/hashmarks area
ya I agree, even his first goal was not registered as a HDCF. Something is definitely not right in that regard. That said, it is probably proportional to the ones missed on our end as well. I think that percentage of HDCF aligned well to my eye test. Albeit I am extremely bias

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Big win for the Leafs but ...

They played a strong game overall, while the Jets game was fairly average, but they almost lost because Hellebuyck kept delivering timely and ten bell saves all night, while Andersen continues to struggle with that.

Leafs never seem to get a key save from Freddy when they need it.

We have to play virtually mistake free hockey to win a playoff round with Freddy between the pipes.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Holy moly what a goalie
I don't want to face Peg in playoffs da guy pulls 10 bellers out of his *rse
Jumbo still looks 90 as game pace picks up and it will only get faster folks
Holl is starting to become a real worry and liability in our top 4 --- with Muzzy and his stupid face shield he clearly can't see puck right now he can't cover up for holl like at start of season
JT was a beast last night
Matty still looks OFF even with his goal scoring move
Zach Hyman is our best player now almost every game folks
Overall a complete beat down of Jets and like game 1 would have been a blowout without Helle

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Honestly with the way Tavares and Nylander have looked the past few games I wouldn't mind swapping that lines ice time with the Matthews/Marner line for a bit so we don't burn them out before playoffs.

Only a matter of time before the shooting % turns around in a big way and gives them a chabce to rack up some points.

Especially while Matthews is dealing with the wrist injury. He doesn't need to play 8 minutes more than JT.

Yup, despite scoring the OT winner he was extremely passive tonight, so many times where he would normally rifle it, he deferred to a team mate. That pass to Muzzin on the 4 on 2 really had me puzzled for a bit. A healthy Matthews would've let that one rip.

Tavares and Nylander were our best forwards tonight, if not for Helly going god mode on us, both of those guys should've had 4 or 5 point nights, that's how many chances they were generating.

Reactions: CabanaBoy5

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Hopefully last night does a few things:
  • puts LeafLand at ease after 3 unlikely losses in a row - the Leafs have hit a ton of hot goaltending lately, 5 of the last 6 games are standout performances, and the Leafs have been the better team in every game (you could make an argument that the 2nd one against Van was even or slightly in their favour I guess).
  • puts the Jets on notice that they don't measure up, and even if Hellebuyck stands on his head for a series they probably aren't going to beat us.
Let's hope that Hellebuyck is human tomorrow and we open the floodgates, that would be the second time in a few weeks that we demoralized the team chasing us.

shaner82

Apr 18, 2017
Yup, despite scoring the OT winner he was extremely passive tonight, so many times where he would normally rifle it, he deferred to a team mate. That pass to Muzzin on the 4 on 2 really had me puzzled for a bit. A healthy Matthews would've let that one rip.

Tavares and Nylander were our best forwards tonight, if not for Helly going god mode on us, both of those guys should've had 4 or 5 point nights, that's how many chances they were generating.

AM is sometimes too passive. What I want to see from him sometimes, particularly come playoff time, is for him to say "I'm the best player on the ice and I'm going to carry this team to a win." I want to see him take over a game like he can. I want to see some selfish behaviour, because he has the ability to be both selfish and successful at the same time. What I see too often is a guy who will take his shots, but is also very selfless. That's fine most nights, but come playoff time, or in tight games like last night, I want to see him take that puck and win the game.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
View attachment 406627

it was a dominating performance from start to finish. Arguably one of their better games all year. They really did not make many mistakes in the game, and the ones they did unfortunately ended up in the back of the cage. Helly is no joke, guy is outstanding. But aside from him and Ehlers, there really was nothing impressive from Winnipeg. Their defence is horrendous. back to back games where the Leafs have had over 20+ HDCF. It is actually remarkable how they are so high in the standings, and a true testament to Helly
90% win likelihood according to moneypuck, that's the highest this season I believe

MoneyPuck.com

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Apparently the talking heads are in seeming agreement that the Jets' top 6 is better than the leafs'? To the point where they mock leafs "homers" for disagreeing?

Do they ever explain themselves in these discussions?

Last 2yrs pace:

Matthews (23): 59gls/99pts, 55.6xgf% ---- Scheifele (27): 34gls/91pts, 44.1xgf%
Tavares (30): 31gls/76pts, 53.4xgf% -------- Dubois (22): 22gls/54pts, 51.0xgf%

So a huge advantage at C, even ignoring the possession/defense advantages. Boy they better have a huge advantage on the wing to make up for that...

Marner (23): 26gls/98pts, 55.3xgf% ---- Connor (24): 42gls/83pts, 42.0xgf%
Nylander (24): 36gls/69pts, 55.2xgf% -- Ehlers (24): 32gls/73pts, 47.4xgf%

Not off to a good start - Marner the large edge over Connor, with willy and ehlers about as similar as two players get.

So the Jets must have a MASSIVE advantage in the last 2 wing spots to make up for all of that.....

Hyman (28): 31gls/54pts, 55.6xgf% ---- Wheeler (34): 25gls/75pts, 45.1xgf%
Thornton (41): 10gls/40pts, 49.4xgf% - Stastny (35): 21gls/45pts, 55.1xgf%

.....meh. Fine if you prefer the jets' last pair here but it's not exactly overwhelming especially considering 34yr old Wheeler's advantage over Hyman is getting pretty questionable at this point.

No serious hockey person would actually prefer the jets' group here so here's another one chalked up to the hockey world's adorable anti-leafs obsession.

Last edited:

Oscar Peterson

Jun 27, 2015
Apparently the talking heads are in seeming agreement that the Jets' top 6 is better than the leafs'? To the point where they mock leafs "homers" for disagreeing?
Hockey media needs a huge change-up... not only do some of these guys have no idea what they're talking about, most of them provide zero if not negative entertainment value... Watched the game last night with some buddies who don't really follow hockey and they told me how the intermission was borderline unwatchable

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Did not expect so many people to be Freddie loyalists here. I want him to do well but I can see him for what he is, an average goalie, declining to a below average level.

Our best hope? His shitty play ends right when the playoffs start and goes hot for 20-30 games.

If we win the Cup this year, it would be like the Blackhawks carrying Antti Niemi to the Cup. I think we can do it but I am also hoping his leash is short so if he's giving up back breaking shitty angle goals at the worst possible time, he's yanked for Campbell. I am okay trying something different and losing but not okay with Andersen in net if he slips up and continues to be the starter.

How are people not able to see his declining play over the last 2 seasons? Every year people blame the Leafs D for his mistakes. This season they are doing well reducing shots, better play in front of him and his stats are still in the gutters.

Reactions: Alerion

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad