TSN: Leafs are highly motivated to deal

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
I think Nonis really tries to get Clarkson but the quoted part from Dreger/TSN is just what every Leafs GM says. Burke said the same thing when he was hired. He's not going to rebuild/draft, he's building from the goalie out, he's not waiting 5 yrs to build, nada nada, blah,blah....

Then he made some of the most stupid trades.

Hopefully, the Leafs have learned their lesson about judging talent and don't gut their few good prospects/pieces (I think it's safe to say Gardiner can be included in that bunch).

Letang shouldn't cost as much as some are saying because Pittsburgh is getting squeezed out because of cap reasons. But, he's more of a luxury item than a need. He might help on the PP and he's a PMD but he's an upgrade on the type of dman Gardiner is.

I think Phaneuf is expendable because he won't want any less than he gets now (6.5 mill.) and he's not worth that, imho.

Some interesting UFA and cap issues might give Nonis some options but for the sake of Leaf fans, they better hope he's smart about it. I think the Leafs are still missing some major pieces of the puzzle before they're real contenders.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
Don't we hear that EVERY off season?

Even if it's true, he's not taking signficantly less money to come here.

A hundred, two hundred grand? MAYBE...but $500k - $1 million? No chance...

It's actually true with Clarkson. The Leafs were one of three teams that offered him a contract after he left the OHL. He wanted to come here but was treated like royalty by the Devils. John Ferguson Jr. took Clarkson for granted and told him to drive down to the ACC. The Devils flew in to Toronto, took his family out to dinner and then flew him back to NJ.

His childhood idol was Wendel and his entire family is a part of Leafs Nation.

I would give Clarkson $4M. His presence will make a big difference. His character is similar to Gary Roberts. I don't think his production will scream $4M but it'll be worth it when you watch the games.

Pinchy

Oct 19, 2008
It's actually true with Clarkson. The Leafs were one of three teams that offered him a contract after he left the OHL. He wanted to come here but was treated like royalty by the Devils. John Ferguson Jr. took Clarkson for granted and told him to drive down to the ACC. The Devils flew in to Toronto, took his family out to dinner and then flew him back to NJ.

His childhood idol was Wendel and his entire family is a part of Leafs Nation.

I would give Clarkson $4M. His presence will make a big difference. His character is similar to Gary Roberts. I don't think his production will scream $4M but it'll be worth it when you watch the games.

For $4 million you're not underpaying though.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
How could you read this as a bad thing?

IMO Nonis learned from his past by sitting on his hands for a little too long. Now, he sees TML as being on the cusp of becoming a contender for a long time, he sees now as the time for adding pieces to get us there. We're 2 pieces away, a center and a #2 d-man.

The french connection:
Bernier
Lecavalier
Letang

Endorse.

Maybe 1st and Kulemin for Letang? Replace him with Horton in FA.

Pinchy

Oct 19, 2008
I think Nonis really tries to get Clarkson but the quoted part from Dreger/TSN is just what every Leafs GM says. Burke said the same thing when he was hired. He's not going to rebuild/draft, he's building from the goalie out, he's not waiting 5 yrs to build, nada nada, blah,blah....

Then he made some of the most stupid trades.

Hopefully, the Leafs have learned their lesson about judging talent and don't gut their few good prospects/pieces (I think it's safe to say Gardiner can be included in that bunch).

Letang shouldn't cost as much as some are saying because Pittsburgh is getting squeezed out because of cap reasons. But, he's more of a luxury item than a need. He might help on the PP and he's a PMD but he's an upgrade on the type of dman Gardiner is.

I think Phaneuf is expendable because he won't want any less than he gets now (6.5 mill.) and he's not worth that, imho.

Some interesting UFA and cap issues might give Nonis some options but for the sake of Leaf fans, they better hope he's smart about it. I think the Leafs are still missing some major pieces of the puzzle before they're real contenders.

This again?

What are all the stupid trades that Burke made?

If all you have is Kessel, then Ok...but I hardly call that a stupid trade...

BauerHOCKEY

Jun 21, 2011
Whitby, ON
Dreger may have a leg up on other Insiders when it comes to Dave Nonis and the Toronto Maple Leafs. Nonis and Dreger are cousins. Has to give him the inside track on breaking the deals the Toronto Maple Leafs are involved in.

Personally, I hope Nonis continues to use the conservative template he has always used. He and Burkie have built up the farm to be better than respectable for the first time in years. Don't pull it down and ship them out to be stars on other franchises just for a high profile player that 'wants' to come to Toronto.

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
This again?

What are all the stupid trades that Burke made?

If all you have is Kessel, then Ok...but I hardly call that a stupid trade...
I'm just saying that Burke said the same thing but ultimately didn't do a good job. He was fired, right? :shakehead

The Kessel trade is not looking as bad only because Sequin has regressed (well, I think this is the consensus)? However, Kessel had a good playoff and it's probably good that it satisfied a lot of people.

But, worse trades than that one were made but maybe Nonis won't make the same mistakes.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
That $5M could go to keeping your core guys.

Remember, Letang will get 8 years. In those 8 years, you have to find a way to keep your core.

So Gardiner will continue to play at ELC level money, but improve his play? Don't think that works out. Gards and Letang will both have new cap hits in place for the 14-15 season, when we have a lot of cap space and not a lot of contracts signed. By then your looking at Gards for ~4-5M or Letang for 7m

Pinchy

Oct 19, 2008
Lol yeah enlighten me on these stupid trades which hurt our team oh so much :rolleyes:

He must be talking about the trade that got us Phaneuf for nothing. Or Lupul and Gardiner for a good, but aging defenceman. Maybe he's talking about the trade that got us Franson for nothing.

Or he is talking about the Keith Aulie deal...one of the only trades I would probably take back.

Either way...I don't get how Burke gets crap. Kessel can be debated for ages, but Burke inherited a team of scraps and every trade was made to get us a younger, more talented team. And he succeeded almost every time.

Pinchy

Oct 19, 2008
I'm just saying that Burke said the same thing but ultimately didn't do a good job. He was fired, right? :shakehead

The Kessel trade is not looking as bad only because Sequin has regressed (well, I think this is the consensus)? However, Kessel had a good playoff and it's probably good that it satisfied a lot of people.

But, worse trades than that one were made but maybe Nonis won't make the same mistakes.

Yes, Burke ran out of time. But I think he was fired more because of the change in ownership than the fact he did a piss poor job.

I really don't want to keep harping on this, but what are the worst trades that Burke made in your opinion? I might be forgetting them, because pretty much every trade I would do again with the exception of Keith Aulie and maybe...MAYBE...Kessel...unless he signs an extension this year...

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
only on toronto hf boards does mentality such as this exists. ya forget the norris candidate...let's go with gunnarsson and frasor and costco again.

Norris candidate?

Dion Phaneuf was a Norris candidate.

It means little. Though, Letang is awesome.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I think this is going to be an exciting summer ahead.

In the past top UFA players have avoided Toronto, preferring other more desirable destinations.

However this year feels different as UFAs like Clarkson, Weiss etc seem to be waiting for the opportunity to see if Toronto is an option. Even a RFA like Letang is rumoured to want to come to Toronto if his future is not in Pittsburgh. Bernier was very excited to be coming here.

Nonis seems to have put out the welcome mat and expressed his desires for improvement and motivation to make changes to address team needs and now we need to see who comes and answers the call. All inquires welcome and no untouchables makes for endless possibilities.

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
only on toronto hf boards does mentality such as this exists. ya forget the norris candidate...let's go with gunnarsson and frasor and costco again.

That's not what he's saying. Consider the long-term implications...Rossi said they'd be looking for a 1st, top prospect and good roster player (possibly 2?) if they traded Letang.

That could potentially mean Shero wants a 1st, Morgan Rielly (and if not Rielly he'll probably try for at least Finn), Jake Gardiner and maybe someone like Nik Kulemin. On top of that, Letang would command 7M.

Would you do that?

If Nonis can get him for something cheaper than by all means he should, but if that's the cost Nonis would be insane to do it.

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
I'd be shocked if Clarkson gets that, but who knows...I guess we'll find out in a week or so.

I remember one of the hockey reporters (can't remember if it was Dreger or LeBrun or someone else) mentioned that Clarkson was looking for something around 5M on the open market.

Personally, I would go 4.5M MAX. 4M would be ideal but I think he wants more.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
Just can't see why Vinny L would want to play here. Fish bowl for players and if he was going to do that wouldn't he just go to hometown Montreal?

I like Clarkson on this team if they can make it happen.

This will be a fun few days in Leaf land and very intrigued at how Nonis has been going about business since he took the team over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad