TSN: Leafs are highly motivated to deal

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
If I'm doing a wishlist at this point, it is Vinny, Horton and Ference.

I don't think Letang is a fit, unless we move Phaneuf. Our Defence needs to improve it's defensive skills and I think Ference is a fit there.

Horton might price himself out of what we can afford though, rumoured to be asking $6 million

JMcLeaf

If I'm doing a wishlist at this point, it is Vinny, Horton and Ference.

I don't think Letang is a fit, unless we move Phaneuf. Our Defence needs to improve it's defensive skills and I think Ference is a fit there.

Horton might price himself out of what we can afford though, rumoured to be asking $6 million

Yeah and for 6 years :help:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Ideally in a perfect World.

1) Trade for a goalie ... Check

2) Trade up in the draft to obtain a higher level prospect to improve the prospect pool ranked in the bottom 1/3 of the NHL.

3) Acquire a elite top line capable center to be able to compete better against top teams.

4) Acquire a top 4 defenseman able to play top minutes and improve the defense core.

Lots of work still on the wish list for Nonis and so being highly motivated to improve the team is a good thing.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
i wouldnt use last season as the barometer of where the leafs are in proximity to winning the cup. if no changes are made i think the leafs will be hard pressed to make the playoffs next season.

our defense was putrid. we basically dressed 3 ahl defenseman every game. we also need to significant improve the center situation and replace at a minimum 3 wingers (frattin, komorov, macarthur).

nonis/carlyle are not stupid. they know this. i am confident with nonis though that he wont make a carelss move or take an unnecessary risk ala burkie.

frankthetank91

Jul 30, 2011
If Nonis can pull off:

1)Lecavalier signing for 1C. (Plan B: Vinnt signs with MTL or somewhere else, he signs Stephen Weiss/Mike Ribeiro)
2)Sign David Clarkson
3)Trade for Dave Bolland
4)Get rid of Grabovski
5)Trade for Clutterbuck

JVR-Lecavalier/Weiss-Kessel
Lupul-Kadri-Clarkson
Kulemin-Bolland-Clutterbuck
McClaren-McClement-Orr

Phaneuf, Gardiner, Franson, Gunnar, Fraser

Bernier
Reimer makes us set on goal.

Then it will be the best team we've had in years.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
So this is what Leafs fans, or some of them hope for.

Trade with Pittsburgh for Letang.
Trade Phaneuf away.
Sign Vinny as a UFA.
Sign Ference as a UFA.
Trade Liles
Trade Grabovski
Buyout Komisarek

Lupul Lecavalier Kessel
JvR Kadri ??
?? Colborne Kulemin
Orr McClement Komarov(?)//McLaren

Letang Gardiner
Ference Franson
Fraser Gunnarrson

Bernier/Reimer

The Saurus

May 12, 2006
So this is what Leafs fans, or some of them hope for.

Trade with Pittsburgh for Letang.
Trade Phaneuf away.
Sign Vinny as a UFA.
Sign Ference as a UFA.
Trade Liles
Trade Grabovski
Buyout Komisarek

Lupul Lecavalier Kessel
JvR Kadri ??
?? Colborne Kulemin
Orr McClement Komarov(?)//McLaren

Letang Gardiner
Ference Franson
Fraser Gunnarrson

Bernier/Reimer

Leo Komarov is gone. Signed in the KHL.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
1. Sign Lecavalier
2. Sign Clarkson
3. Trade for Clutterbuck and Gilbert

Lupul - Lecavalier - Kessel
JVR - Kadri - Clarkson
Kulemin - Grabovski - Clutterbuck
D'Amigo - McClement - Orr
McLaren

Phaneuf - Gunnarsson
Gardiner - Gilbert
Rielly - Franson
Liles - Fraser

Bernier
Reimer

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
**** Horton and his ridiculous contract demands. Would rather sign Clarkson for cheaper and shorter term.

As for this news, can't judge till the moves are actually made. I'm still wary though.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Just tweeted by Dreger.

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 15m

I doubt there are many teams as motivated to make deals as the Leafs are. Nonis is virtually willing to listen to offers on everyone.

What does this say for our future? Team had their best season in 9 years and it seems like Nonis wants to blow it up. I really hope he doesn't set this franchise back. Is Leiweke involved?

What say you?

He's doing the exact same thing Brian Burke always did, giving you a completely obvious statement that should be considered news to no one.

When a GM tells you he's interested in 1st overall, that shouldn't surprise you.

When a GM tells you the goal is the playoffs, that shouldn't surprise you.

When a GM tells you he's willing to listen to offers on anyone, this shouldn't surprise you.

Any GM who isn't doing these things should not be employed.

Bravid Nonahan

carlylol = القسوة
Mar 22, 2009
أو&#1585
Trading for Letang would be...amazing. Even if we deal Gardiner. Lets be real folks, we would be though the moon if Gards became a PPG Norris finalist dmqn.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
Trading for Letang would be...amazing. Even if we deal Gardiner. Lets be real folks, we would be though the moon if Gards became a PPG Norris finalist dmqn.

You're ignoring the financial aspect of it all.

Letang > Gardiner.

But... Gardiner + 5M cap space > Letang.

Kyle Doobas*

It seems Nonis/management don't feel entirely confident that this core of Kessel/Kadri/Phaneuf/Gardiner/Reimer is going to give us a genuine shot at the Cup every year, and want to shake things up a bit to give us more depth at key positions. Have to admit that, as fun as this season was, I kinda feel the same way.

Should be a pretty exciting couple of weeks. I can't help but think back to Nonis' introductory press conference as GM, when he made a point of mentioning his/management's interest in the strength of the upcoming draft. Wouldn't be entirely surprising to see a big move to push us into the top five or ten.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
You're ignoring the financial aspect of it all.

Letang > Gardiner.

But... Gardiner + 5M cap space > Letang.

Not if we're spending that 5M cap on garbage like Komisarek and Grabovski.

Gardiner+ for Letang is worth it.

Gardiner + 1st + is not.

Yosho

Logic
Mar 30, 2010
Kitchener, ON
Dreger's daily spew.

However, I can see Tim Leiweke putting a TON of pressure on his GM's. So there may be some merit to this.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
Not if we're spending that 5M cap on garbage like Komisarek and Grabovski.

Gardiner+ for Letang is worth it.

Gardiner + 1st + is not.

That $5M could go to keeping your core guys.

Remember, Letang will get 8 years. In those 8 years, you have to find a way to keep your core.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad