TSN: Leafs are highly motivated to deal

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
It seems Nonis/management don't feel entirely confident that this core of Kessel/Kadri/Phaneuf/Reimer is going to give us a genuine shot at the Cup every year, and want to shake things up a bit to give us more depth at key positions. Have to admit that, as fun as this season was, I kinda feel the same way.

Should be a pretty exciting couple of weeks. I can't help but think back to Nonis' introductory press conference as GM, when he made a point of mentioning his/management's interest in the strength of the upcoming draft. Wouldn't be entirely surprising to see a big move to push us into the top five or ten.

I feel the same way.

We have so much potential...and I feel that this core is good but not good enough for the Cup.

I like Phaneuf but we need to give him a hell of a supporting cast to win the Cup. Despite changing coaches, we still turn the puck over far too many times, put the goalie in a bad position and fail to win key moments of a hockey game.

We need to "re-tool" the re-tool. We should be aiming for the division next year.

hockeyfanz*

Nonis is going to do something big to make this 'his' team. I have a feeling.

You mean make it a winning team? Burke lovers want to make you believe that he did such a great job that we can stand pat and add a defenseman. Good thing the actual GM of the team sees things differently.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
I believe Nonis said when he was first hired to replace Burke that he's a much more patient man and won't be sacrificing the future for short term gains.

Saying that, Burke had a tendency to go after a certain age group and I'm sure Nonis is eye balling the same range or even younger. Young 20-25 year old players trying to make a impact in the NHL. Bernier was a good recent example of that. Nonis could also be planning on even younger players and maybe trading up in the draft.

This team had it's fair share of flaws and there's nothing wrong with trying to change up the potential make up of the team into one of Nonis' liking.

My wishlist this offseason?

Top 4 young Dman
David Clarkson (he's a bit older but helps with Carlyle's mind set for this team and improves on Frattin's spot)
Draft higher for more top end skill

#1 centre! (not very likely)

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Only on Hfboards does acquiring a Top 5 defenseman in the league in his prime make zero sense.

Kris Letang was 1 of the 3 finalists for the Norris trophy this season.

His price of course will be steep, but that is also because of his status as a top 10 NHL dman.

Its amazing that some actually couldn't see the value of adding one of the NHL's elite PMD offensive dmen at age 26 to the Leafs as an upgrade. :help:

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
You mean make it a winning team? Burke lovers want to make you believe that he did such a great job that we can stand pat and add a defenseman. Good thing the actual GM of the team sees things differently.

Boy, you sure extrapolated from a simple statement.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
I love Letang, but again, offence isn't our issue. If Ference is on the table, that exactly where we go. We have offence in the form of Phaneuf, Franson, Gards and Liles.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
1. Sign Lecavalier
2. Sign Clarkson
3. Trade for Clutterbuck and Gilbert

Lupul - Lecavalier - Kessel
JVR - Kadri - Clarkson
Kulemin - Grabovski - Clutterbuck
D'Amigo - McClement - Orr
McLaren

Phaneuf - Gunnarsson
Gardiner - Gilbert
Rielly - Franson
Liles - Fraser

Bernier
Reimer

What did you trade for Gilbert and Clutterbuck?
A new zamboni and the sign from Burkie's Doghouse?

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Our best season in 9 years is akin to what 16 teams in the league do every year: Make the playoffs.

I am really liking Nonis and his approach for this team. Trade and do whatever it takes to improve the team.

Imagine how good we would be if: We can limit the number of shots our goalie has to face, if we can limit the turnovers and become even average at it?

Systems have changed but issues remain.

There are some fundamental issues with this team that need to be resolved...or we'll always be left wondering: "What if...?"

Kyle Doobas*

Weren't we all just complaining a month ago about our lack of mobility on the back end? Now suddenly we should be looking at acquiring Andrew Ference instead of Kris Letang? :laugh:

Besides, if not for an absurdly high shooting percentage, our inability to create scoring chances could've buried us this season. We spent seemingly 3/4 of every game in our own end of the ice.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
What did you trade for Gilbert and Clutterbuck?
A new zamboni and the sign from Burkie's Doghouse?

You can get Clutterbuck for a prospect/pick equivalent to a 2nd rounder.

Gilbert is a cap dump for Minny at $4M.

It likely wouldn't affect our NHL roster. q

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I don't want to get my hopes up that the Dave Nonis is planning on doing a lot of trades over the next few days, because in past years I remember Brian Burke said the same thing and nothing much happened. Now the one exception was last year when he traded Luke Schenn for James van Riemsdyk. However besides that deal what other trades did Burke make around the draft?

Anyway hopefully this year is different and with the Bernier trade maybe that's a sign of thing to come. Finally I realize Nonis says he will listen for trades about anyone which all GM's should do, however I hope that Kessel, Gardiner, Rielly, Lupul and van Riemsdyk are not moved.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
If I'm doing a wishlist at this point, it is Vinny, Horton and Ference.

I don't think Letang is a fit, unless we move Phaneuf. Our Defence needs to improve it's defensive skills and I think Ference is a fit there.

Horton might price himself out of what we can afford though, rumoured to be asking $6 million
Ference is 34. You'd want a guy preferably around 23-28 to play immediately imo if you want to make a run. We're not exactly cup contenders just yet

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Weren't we all just complaining a month ago about our lack of mobility on the back end? Now suddenly we should be looking at acquiring Andrew Ference instead of Kris Letang? :laugh:

Besides, if not for an absurdly high shooting percentage, our inability to create scoring chances could've buried us this season.
Yet we are continuously among the top in the league in offence and near the bottom in defence. Yes, offence is the problem here...

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
It says he is looking to improve the team, as he should. That does not mean he is blowing it up.

Nonis inherited a team that finished in the bottom 5 overall 2 of the previous 3 years prior to him taking over. Only Edmonton, Columbus and NYI had a worse record over that time.

Limited success in the anomaly of a shortened season, shouldn't be a deterrent to his desire to shape the team into a winner. His first year was basically clean-up and disposal oriented.

I hope he is is highly motivated to address the teams glaring weaknesses, that even novice fans can see exists on this roster. In fact I hope he is highly successful in achieving his goals and we see these holes filled prior to the beginning of next season.

frankthetank91

Jul 30, 2011
We gotta hope and pray we can get:

-VL/Weiss for the top line.
-Clarkson to fill out the top 6 next to Kadri.
-Bolland to center the 3rd line
-Clutterbuck to replace Komarov

If we could manage that I could feel a 1993 type year.

Kyle Doobas*

Yet we are continuously among the top in the league in offence and near the bottom in defence. Yes, offence is the problem here...
Can you link me to these 'offense' and 'defense' stats? Who knew it was that easy!

The problem is that we spend 3/4 of the game in our own end and are routinely outshot, which doesn't bode well over the course of a full season. But hey, if you think adding Andrew Ference for a couple of years makes us a better team than signing a Norris-calibre defenseman long-term, you can think that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
He's doing the exact same thing Brian Burke always did, giving you a completely obvious statement that should be considered news to no one.

I hope the crowd that were as vocal about Burke not backing up his talk will be as critical of Nonis if he fails to deliver this offseason. I find that doubtful though.

DrizzyTO

OVO
Mar 21, 2013
Sanctuary ||
1. Sign Clarkson/Horton
2. Sign Lecavalier
3. ???
4. Profit

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Joffrey Lupul ($5.250m) / Vincent Lecavalier ($5,250m) / Phil Kessel ($5.400m)
James Van Riemsdyk ($4.250m) / Nazem Kadri ($0.851m) / Nikolai Kulemin ($2.800m)
Jay McClement ($1.500m) / Mikhail Grabovski ($5.500m) / David Clarkson ($2.667m)
Frazer McLaren ($0.696m) / Joe Colborne ($0.827m) /Colton Orr ($0.925m)

DEFENSEMEN
Dion Phaneuf ($6.500m) / Cody Franson ($1.200m)
Jake Gardiner ($1.117m) / John-Michael Liles ($3.875m)
Carl Gunnarsson ($1.250m) / Andrew Ference ($1.200m)

GOALTENDERS
James Reimer ($1.800m)
Jonathan Bernier ($1.525m)

OTHER
Buyout: Darcy Tucker ($1.000m)
Buyout: Colby Armstrong ($1.000m)
Buried: Mike Komisarek ($3.575m)
RETAINED SALARY TRANSACTIONS (0.778% of upper limit)
Matt Frattin ($0.437m—0.5%) Ben Scrivens ($0.062m—0.1%)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,933,732; BONUSES: $300,000
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $1,666,268

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad