Friedman: Leafs and Nylander not close on extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Leafs should 'go for it' before the rent comes due on players like Marner and Matthews. Can't afford all of them. Nylander for Tyler Seguin straight up, whom they then sign to a short-term extension. Or Nylander for a package that includes an everyday, right-shot d-man. Dubas is going to have to make at least one major deal for the Leafs to win it all.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Faulk for Nykander trade imminent. IMO. Hanafan is no longer on the table.
What sets apart the Leafs from the rest of the league is there wave after wave of offensive weapons.

We shouldnt rush a trade and risk screwing that up like Edmonton did.

But all Leafs fans and Leaf haters know this which is why everyone has this agenda to trade or not trade Nylander.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
Not likely Dubas lets the Leafs get fleeced like that.

Love how dubas is portrayed as some kind of god because an elite player has been waiting to hit UFA since he was drafted to go play for Toronto.

Don’t overestimate him too much

and 99 others

la la la la la la la... a little bit alexis
Jul 27, 2011
13.3 MM to sign Nylander, Marner and Matthews.

20.3 MM if they let Gardiner and Hainsey go...

Still don't see a scenario where they keep all 3

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
There isn't one IMO.. No one matching age and potential IMO anyway.

Off the top of my head, maybe Seth Jones and Rasmus Dahlin? Nobody else really comes close. Defensemen just don’t develop that well by Matthews’ age and they also don’t have as much value as an elite center if all else equal.

What sets apart the Leafs from the rest of the league is there wave after wave of offensive weapons.

We shouldnt rush a trade and risk screwing that up like Edmonton did.

But all Leafs fans and Leaf haters know this which is why everyone has this agenda to trade or not trade Nylander.

There isn’t anything that sets the Leafs apart from the rest of the NHL. They don’t have a special “wave after wave of offensive weapons”. Their 4th and 5th best forwards are Kadri and Nylander. Off the top of my head, Winnipeg has Connor and Ehlers, Tampa has Gourde and Johnson, Florida has Dadonov and Hoffman, St. Louis has ROR and Perron. Then, you have to consider that their bottom-7 forwards aren’t up to par with quite a few of these teams as well.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Off the top of my head, maybe Seth Jones and Rasmus Dahlin? Nobody else really comes close. Defensemen just don’t develop that well by Matthews’ age and they also don’t have as much value as an elite center if all else equal.

There isn’t anything that sets the Leafs apart from the rest of the NHL. They don’t have a special “wave after wave of offensive weapons”. Their 4th and 5th best forwards are Kadri and Nylander. Off the top of my head, Winnipeg has Connor and Ehlers, Tampa has Gourde and Johnson, Florida has Dadonov and Hoffman, St. Louis has ROR and Perron. Then, you have to consider that their bottom-7 forwards aren’t up to par with quite a few of these teams as well.

Ok Cool. I'll believe the truth, you can spin all you want.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

How many teams can say they have 3 30 goal centers? as far as I know the answer is Toronto and that's it

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Nylander getting underrated and under appreciated because of his poor playoff performance so far but i think he can still grow a bit. If he will not stay long term in Toronto, perhaps a trade needs to happen. Vancity could use someone like him as were a few years away from the playoffs and hopefully by that time he learns a bit more intensity and can be useful in the playoffs. And since the Leafs obviously need help on d something like this could work, for both teams:

To Van:

Nylander
2019 5th rounder

To Tor:

Gudbanson
Labate
2020 3rd rounder
Gunnarsson
2019 6th rounder

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Nylander getting underrated and under appreciated because of his poor playoff performance so far but i think he can still grow a bit. If he will not stay long term in Toronto, perhaps a trade needs to happen. Vancity could use someone like him as were a few years away from the playoffs and hopefully by that time he learns a bit more intensity and can be useful in the playoffs. And since the Leafs obviously need help on d something like this could work, for both teams:

To Van:

Nylander
2019 5th rounder

To Tor:

Gudbanson
Labate
2020 3rd rounder
Gunnarsson
2019 6th rounder

I'd only consider Nylander for Virtanen. Still annoyed Vancouver sniped him before the Leafs had the chance.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

To Van:

Nylander
2019 5th rounder

To Tor:

Gudbanson
Labate
2020 3rd rounder
Gunnarsson
2019 6th rounder
How about Pettersson and Hughes, because that is the level of offer you just gave us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad