Friedman: Leafs and Nylander not close on extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014

The last I heard, they weren’t that close. There’s been some articles around here written that don’t be surprised if it goes into September. He’s represented by Lewis Gross, and you guys remember that two years ago it was about now actually that the Gaudreau-Flames stalemate ended, and Gross is a Gaudreau guy. So it’s about there. I think it’s something that could go into September.
“To me the biggest question is are we talking a bridge or are we talking term. If I was Nylander, I might be the kind of guy who would bet on a bridge deal. But I think Toronto has kind of tried to negotiate the waters with three guys at once, and it’s not easy. There are four guys - with Tavares - they’d all like to keep, but I don’t think it’s always the easiest thing in the world to do it.
“But the last I’d heard, it wasn’t that close.”

“I’m sure Toronto’s pitch is, ‘Look, John Tavares left a lot of money on the table.’ He probably left about close to $15 million on the table from San Jose, and when you factor in the Islanders could have offered him the eighth year, what are we talking about here - maybe 20?
“So I think their pitch is going to be, ‘Look, John Tavares took less than he could have to play here, and if we’re going to win we all have to do that.’
“I said on radio in Toronto yesterday the one thing that’s kind of out of their control was Matthews had the agent switch right before, and you never know how that’s going to impact everything.
“I just think that you’re in a situation where you’re trying to say to guys, ‘One guy took a bit of a paycut, now we’re all going to have to do it,’ and you have to negotiate all of that.”

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Ehlers and MacKinnon contracts are good comps 6-6.3M for 7 years....give a signing bonus to help them for potential lock out losses.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
"Other guys took a paycut so you have to accept less than market value too" is not a negotiating tactic...

That's what I thought as well.
Tavares has earned over $35 million already in his career, so for them to say get along, get along to Nylander who's earned maybe $4 million. It doesnt really apply the same at this point in his life.

Last edited:

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
This is an issue for the Leafs. They went outside the organization and threw a fortune at an outsider. Anyone who thinks existing players are going to offer the Leafs some major discount might be sadly mistaken. Take care of your own players before you start throwing gazillions at a top UFA. Nylander, Marner and Matthews are all going to want to be paid big-time.

Tampa is a different beast. Hedman, Stamkos, Kucherov, etc. all gave discounts to keep "their team" intact. The Leafs chose to "bring in" a big fish for top dollar and will try to play the "well, there's not much money left under the cap, blah, blah, blah." Does anyone really think the kids are going to fall for that? I know I wouldn't. Staying inside the organization and going outside the organization are two different things. If you can pay an outsider top dollar, they you need to be able to keep your insider's happy. If not, start flipping them for upgrades on D with term.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Wasn't there something in the news about Marner too? I can't remember exactly what is was, but it left me with the impression that it might be hard to temper his salary expectations.

Have to think its not easy to get three players all to agree on the same strategy to get paid less.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
No shit they’re still far apart, no signed contract yet and off-season is almost over...

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Ehlers and MacKinnon contracts are good comps 6-6.3M for 7 years....give a signing bonus to help them for potential lock out losses.
this is what it really comes back to, if Nylander wants more money than his comps point to him being worth, there's really not much to substantiate that he should get it. We can afford Nylander just fine at his market value as dictated by the comparables: Ehlers, Pastrnak, even Drouin

I really don't believe that the MacKinnon contract is a good comparable for anyone. It appears (and I believe it will become more evident) that he is absurdly underpaid.
what the player does after the contract is signed can't be used, Nylander's production to the same point in his career that MacKinnon signed the contract is comparable. The thing that might make this one less comparable is how long ago it was signed and how many good comps there has been since

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I really don't believe that the MacKinnon contract is a good comparable for anyone. It appears (and I believe it will become more evident) that he is absurdly underpaid.
when he signed that deal the stats were comparable

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
It's also not exactly true either. I mean, yes, technically JT could have gotten more money, but we also know he's not worth the money he got.

You use that word, but I don't think it means what you think it means.

"Other guys took a paycut so you have to accept less than market value too" is not a negotiating tactic...

I kind of get it if they're talking about a shorter term deal where any potential playoff success would boost his next contract considerably. A lot of the 2nd tier guys in Chicago's first cup run ended up getting paid as 'the guy' on their new teams once the cap crunch settled in. Even the role players ended up getting overpaid elsewhere because of playoff success. How much money did that playoff run make Dave Bolland?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

But also can't really make a case he deserves more then he does either :P

I don't think Nylander really deserves anything over 6.5M though...no idea what he wants and what the Leafs are offering though so we only get to speculate.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
this is what it really comes back to, if Nylander wants more money than his comps point to him being worth, there's really not much to substantiate that he should get it. We can afford Nylander just fine at his market value as dictated by the comparables: Ehlers, Pastrnak, even Drouin

what the player does after the contract is signed can't be used, Nylander's production to the same point in his career that MacKinnon signed the contract is comparable. The thing that might make this one less comparable is how long ago it was signed and how many good comps there has been since

IMO Pastrnak is like half a tier above Nylander. Nylander hasn't cracked 30 goals yet.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
He wants to get paid and deserves to get paid, the Tavares signing basically forced the hand of a nylander trade, no matter how many leafs fans refuse to believe this scenario.

Nylander will get traded within the next 12 months, I have no doubt.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
"If I was Nylander, I might be the kind of guy who would bet on a bridge deal"

BS. No player wants a bridge deal. They all want a deal that covers all of their RFA years, but at their choice of AAV.

Reactions: Thorvat

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I love Nylander and really hope he signs but if he doesn't buy into the plan, then hopefully they add to him and go get their young top-pairing dman with term

This would be the smart play for the Leafs. They need a stud D, ideally a RHD. I think Nylander, Marner and Matthews are all doing to want coin... they can't fit them all.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Two Interpretations:

Leafs are offering fair market value (6-6.5), Nylander wants more
Leafs want a discount off of fair market value (5-5.5) Nylanders not buying.

Any bets which this board runs with?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad