Friedman: Leafs and Nylander not close on extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
13.3 MM to sign Nylander, Marner and Matthews.

20.3 MM if they let Gardiner and Hainsey go...

Still don't see a scenario where they keep all 3

Horton on LTIR is 5.3
Moving the last year of marleaus contract that only has 1.25 in cash is 6.25

31.85 for the 3. I guarantee they dont get more than 26 of that

enough leftover to bridge kapanen and johnsson and call up liljegren and borgman

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Ok Cool. I'll believe the truth, you can spin all you want.

Care to explain how Toronto’s “wave after wave of offense” differentiates them from the rest of the NHL? Care to elaborate on why you believe that to be the truth?

How many teams can say they have 3 30 goal centers? as far as I know the answer is Toronto and that's it

How many teams have more than 1 70 point player? As far as I know the answer is Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Edmonton, Boston, Tampa, Colorado, Washington, Winnipeg, Vegas, Dallas, Florida, New York Islanders and that’s it. No Toronto in that list.

What’s your point? The initial claim was that Toronto’s wave after wave of offense sets them apart from the rest of the NHL. Yes, they have 3 30 goal scoring centers, but Pittsburgh has two 90 point centers and a 50 point center. Tampa has a 100 point winger, an 85 point center, and another 30 goal 60 point center.

loyaltotheend

May 5, 2016
St. John's
Love how dubas is portrayed as some kind of god because an elite player has been waiting to hit UFA since he was drafted to go play for Toronto.

Don’t overestimate him too much

But making the right pitch to that UFA was a great start. Not re-signing garbage like Polak and Komarov, while shipping out a useless overpaid bum like Martin with no retention is all the better.

Don't underestimate him too much

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
How about Pettersson and Hughes, because that is the level of offer you just gave us.
Not a chance either could be available for just Nylander unless the Leafs are adding quite a bit more

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Not a chance either could be available for just Nylander unless the Leafs are adding quite a bit more
You just tried to get Nylander with Gubranson as the centerpiece. Nylander is as valuable as either. But, go ahead and believe your prospects are perfect. Nylander was a similar level prospect at both of their ages.

What do you honestly think the value of either is? Because a 22 year old coming off back to back 60 points season is a pretty rare asset, and not all players develop like your NHL 19 dynasty.

Reactions: loyaltotheend

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
You just tried to get Nylander with Gubranson as the centerpiece. Nylander is as valuable as either. But, go ahead and believe your prospects are perfect. Nylander was a similar level prospect at both of their ages.

What do you honestly think the value of either is? Because a 22 year old coming off back to back 60 points season is a pretty rare asset, and not all players develop like your NHL 19 dynasty.
:laugh:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
No seriously, what do you think Pettersson and Hughes's value is? What is significantly more than Nylander. I get rebuilding teams overvalue their kids, the Leafs fanbase did it too. But, they aren't notably ahead of Nylander at comparable ages, and Nylander has proven it in the NHL. Flat out, I wouldn't even touch Nylander for Hughes at the moment. Pettersson, I would because he's proven in a pro-league and has SHL experience.

Reactions: loyaltotheend

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Care to explain how Toronto’s “wave after wave of offense” differentiates them from the rest of the NHL? Care to elaborate on why you believe that to be the truth?

How many teams have more than 1 70 point player? As far as I know the answer is Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Edmonton, Boston, Tampa, Colorado, Washington, Winnipeg, Vegas, Dallas, Florida, New York Islanders and that’s it. No Toronto in that list.

What’s your point? The initial claim was that Toronto’s wave after wave of offense sets them apart from the rest of the NHL. Yes, they have 3 30 goal scoring centers, but Pittsburgh has two 90 point centers and a 50 point center. Tampa has a 100 point winger, an 85 point center, and another 30 goal 60 point center.
nope.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
But making the right pitch to that UFA was a great start. Not re-signing garbage like Polak and Komarov, while shipping out a useless overpaid bum like Martin with no retention is all the better.

Don't underestimate him too much

Yeah I’m sure the pitch is what swayed him :laugh:

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth

Let's ignore age and projection. Whatever fits your narrative dude. Lets sit here and pretend the Leafs aren't loaded up front. I also love how 70 points is the mark. Marner's and Matthew's hit 69, a whole one point shy. Nylander isn't far off either. You're incredibly desperate here. The Leafs offense is elite. The third line is as good as some teams first. Get over it already.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
This thread is stupid, and the pissing matches on here are childish.

My goodness

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
Yeah I know the story you guys tell yourselves to feel better. It was the plan all along. Nothing to do with the state of the franchise the islanders have had for years.

Hopefully you'll enjoy that star 4th line.

As godas says “we can and we will!!!!”

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

The guy who never gets in the top 10 of redrafts? Yeah probably.

Lmao really?

You're joking right

I dunno, he might think Provorov or Werenski is worth McDavid. We are talking about a fan of a team that traded the current Hart Winner for a 3/4 defenceman.

Hamilton would have been closer considering he is a RHD.

Trouba would also be closer. Leafs would gladly take a Hanifin, but they arent giving up marner or nylander to do it
Hamilton would have been closer considering he is a RHD.

Trouba would also be closer. Leafs would gladly take a Hanifin, but they arent giving up marner or nylander to do it

Sorry guys, massive brain fart on my part. I meant Dahlin but was talking about Hanifin in another thread. Dahlin may become Matthew's equal as a defenseman, time will tell.

Reactions: TheDoldrums

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Let's ignore age and projection. Whatever fits your narrative dude. Lets sit here and pretend the Leafs aren't loaded up front. I also love how 70 points is the mark. Marner's and Matthew's hit 69, a whole one point shy. Nylander isn't far off either. You're incredibly desperate here. The Leafs offense is elite. The third line is as good as some teams first. Get over it already.

When did I say they didn’t have a good offense? The point is that they don’t have some sort of “wave after wave of offense” that differentiates them from any other team in the NHL and that’s pretty easily proven.

The third line is as good as other teams first? Isn’t that line going to be Johnsson, Kadri, and Kapanen? Two players who have yet to play a full season in the NHL without spending a significant amount of time getting shuttled down to the AHL?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Sorry guys, massive brain fart on my part. I meant Dahlin but was talking about Hanifin in another thread. Dahlin may become Matthew's equal as a defenseman, time will tell.
Happens, I thought the more likely mistake is you thought the person you responded to was talking about Nylander and not Matthews.

I still wouldn't trade Matthews for Dahlin, but Buffalo may not make that trade either. I simply value the effect of an elite center at 5v5 play very highly and think it makes it the most impactful skater on the ice. Goalies are more impactful, but the gap between average centers and average goalies compared to elite ones significantly favors the centers, and elite skaters tend to be more consistent.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
When did I say they didn’t have a good offense? The point is that they don’t have some sort of “wave after wave of offense” that differentiates them from any other team in the NHL and that’s pretty easily proven.

The third line is as good as other teams first? Isn’t that line going to be Johnsson, Kadri, and Kapanen? Two players who have yet to play a full season in the NHL without spending a significant amount of time getting shuttled down to the AHL?
Unclear what Babs will do. Last year he has really ran a 3 prong attack until the middle of the last season. There is a realistic chance he'll divide up the attack again and put Marleau with Kadri and bump up Johnsson. Babs could also decide to do what Pitt has done with Crosby a lot which is give him two weaker wingers such as Hyman and Kapanen, then spread the wealth between JT and Kadri. Babcock does heavily favor a top 9 approach. Which means two strongly skilled pairs with one grit guy.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Nylander getting underrated and under appreciated because of his poor playoff performance so far but i think he can still grow a bit. If he will not stay long term in Toronto, perhaps a trade needs to happen. Vancity could use someone like him as were a few years away from the playoffs and hopefully by that time he learns a bit more intensity and can be useful in the playoffs. And since the Leafs obviously need help on d something like this could work, for both teams:

To Van:

Nylander
2019 5th rounder

To Tor:

Gudbanson
Labate
2020 3rd rounder
Gunnarsson
2019 6th rounder

My favourite part of this one is the Leafs having to add a pick.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Unclear what Babs will do. Last year he has really ran a 3 prong attack until the middle of the last season. There is a realistic chance he'll divide up the attack again and put Marleau with Kadri and bump up Johnsson. Babs could also decide to do what Pitt has done with Crosby a lot which is give him two weaker wingers such as Hyman and Kapanen, then spread the wealth between JT and Kadri. Babcock does heavily favor a top 9 approach. Which means two strongly skilled pairs with one grit guy.

The “top-9 approach” is most conducive to success. In general, the lines that succeed in the playoffs and come together to be far greater than the sum of their parts are those with a clear F1 (first forechecker, “grit guy”), F2 (playmaker, 2nd player into the zone), and F3 (sniper, 3rd player into the zone, generally carries defensive responsibilities). Of dominant playoff lines, some that come to mind are Ovechkin-Kuznetsov-Wilson, Smith-Karlsson-Marchessault, Hertl-Thornton-Pavelski, Hagelin-Bonino-Kessel, Gaborik-Kopitar-Brown; all of which have a clear playmaker, sniper, and forechecker. The sniper and playmaker are the most important parts.

If Tavares/Marner develop chemistry as a sniper-playmaker duo and Matthews/Nylander build on theirs, Toronto will be very dangerous. If they could acquire another strong playmaker for Kadri on the 3rd line (somebody like Mats Zuccarello, perhaps?), then I might lend some credence to the idea that they have a deep offense that differentiates them from the rest of the league. The issue is that right now, the rest of their forwards outside of the big 5 just look like solid F1s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad