Sportsnet: Leafs and Nylander closing ~$11.5M x 8 contract extension (NMC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
It's not even a bad contract, but pretty crazy that he'll be making slightly more than Pastrnak while never having a better season (one season Nylander did outscore him in more games, while Pasta was over PPG and he wasn't)

Reactions: uncleben

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012

A full NMC and no relief on the AAV? I bet they are also gonna frontload the contract with signing bonuses and also get no concessions on the AAV. Only in Toronto does a player get the most favorable terms on AAV, term, NTC/NMC and signing bonuses without having to sacrifice anything.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
All I know is that the Hawks supposedly set ourselves into an impossible scenario when they gave both Kane and Toews $10+ million contracts simultaneously, and admittedly while we won another Cup before the contracts set in the lack of cap flexibility did rear its head for years afterwards.

The Leafs will now have four $10+ million players.

Good luck getting over the hump, Leafs, and without a Keith and a Hossa contract helping.

Reactions: beowulf

LivingRentFree

Feb 18, 2007
Alberta
All I know is that the Hawks supposedly set ourselves into an impossible scenario when they gave both Kane and Toews $10+ million contracts simultaneously, and admittedly while we won another Cup before the contracts set in the lack of cap flexibility did rear its head for years afterwards.

The Leafs will now have four $10+ million players.

Good luck getting over the hump, Leafs, and without a Keith and a Hossa contract helping.
Tavares is off the books in one year. Brodie. And a couple others. With the cap going up, we are comfortable.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Being the best team out of 32 in any given year is a difficult task. You need all areas of your team, forwards, defence and goalies working well.

This team is an experiment in whether a team can win with 4 elite front end pieces, and a complete dumpster fire at D and G. The experiment will continue for the foreseeable future.

Think about the teams that have won the Cup the past bunch of years...

Vegas - Theodore, Pietro, etc
Avs - Makar, Toews, etc
Tampa - Hedman, Serg, Vasi
Blues - Pietro, Binnington, etc
Caps - Carlson, Holtby, etc
Pens - Letang, etc
Hawks - Keith, Seabrook, etc
Kings - Doughty, Quick, etc

Incredible the Leafs aren't seeing this pattern. Like I said, this is an experiment. An experiment in futility.

Makar and Towes combined made less than Brodie during the cup run.
Hedman Serg and Vasi combined made around what Klingberg + Bertuzzi + Samsonov make during the first run
Pietro + Binnington combined made less than Rielly
I could go on. You guys keep conflating “good defenseman” with expensive defenseman. The core could have taken 3 mil less each and we wouldn’t be any closer to a Makar or Hedman without a top 5 pick.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
At least he gave them 8 years?

Leafs positives

Weren't leafs fans arguing that matthews getting 4 years was perfect because he'll go from 27-31 and anything longer would be paying a premium for dropping production? Weird how it's suddenly fine when willy signs for 8 years starting when he's 28.

Reactions: nbwingsfan

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
I understand he's been a great winger the past few seasons, but does he really demand 11.25M, even with the cap going up?

I can't help but feel Leafs fans will hate this deal in a couple seasons. I could totally be wrong tho, I'm just surprised at the overwhelming positive reaction by Leafs fans.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Well ya it'd be closer to a #2/3D than a #4. Plus a decent 1st and prospect. He has a massive cap hit so it's not easy to
facilitate a trade unless in the offseason.

Not sure he pulls a #1D but do you have any comparable trades of recent history?
If it's not a #1D he's not being traded. Not trading a legitimate top line RW who plays in all situations for a #2/#3 D man. Picks/prospects are not guaranteed.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
I understand he's been a great winger the past few seasons, but does he really demand 11.25M, even with the cap going up?

I can't help but feel Leafs fans will hate this deal in a couple seasons. I could totally be wrong tho, I'm just surprised at the overwhelming positive reaction by Leafs fans.
I mean, just look at the company he is in
1704730013188.png

Reactions: HarrisonFord

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto

Honestly, 10.5M ish is fair value, it's a bit of an overpayment, the full NMC is disgusting. But you can pay your star guys. Cap is expected to rise to 87.7M next season and then jump up again the following year, so it'll be fine.

Reactions: DragoGrizzly

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
So did no one see Friedman's report the Leafs looked hard for an impact dman they could use this money and and didn't find any that would make them better than keeping Willy?

I am happy to keep Nylander, and in a few seasons this deal will look great. Haters gunna hate. 99% of posters would love Nylander on their team.

Reactions: uncleben
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad