Sportsnet: Leafs and Nylander closing ~$11.5M x 8 contract extension (NMC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Toronto players don't know anything about hometown discounts... it's all about the dolla dolla bills to them

LivingRentFree

Feb 18, 2007
Alberta
Nylander alone is making 4.5M more than before, so that Tavares discount wouldn't even touch the Matthews or marner raises. The cap is going up, but its going up for everyone. I don't see how doubling down on what hasn't worked for half a decade would suddenly start working.
Because there are a ton of things that change other than those players? ELC’s, UFAs, etc.

Past playoffs do not have any factor/effect on this year. You need to make the dance to have a chance. With having the core the leafs currently have, they punch their ticket to the show every year.

It never turns out well for teams that let 27 year old superstars walk.

I totally understand keeping your best players. The roster construction is an issue, but I actually (as a Leaf detractor) think they are in pretty good shape. Cap goes up making Nylander a push.

Let Bertuzzi, Domi, Brodie, Samsonov, Giordano walk. If they make some good moves, (Say acquire a top 3 dman and a decent goalie) they have the cap space for being a strong contender for the next couple years. If they are really good with their moves when Tavares contract is over, then they really are in good shape.
Yeah, it’s nice to see a couple of haters that actually understand how the cap works. Lol 👊

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Because there are a ton of things that change other than those players? ELC’s, UFAs, etc.

Past playoffs do not have any factor/effect on this year. You need to make the dance to have a chance. With having the core the leafs currently have, they punch their ticket to the show every year.

I don't think anybody has ever been suggesting that the Leafs let any of their big names go to UFA for nothing lol.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
I totally understand keeping your best players. The roster construction is an issue, but I actually (as a Leaf detractor) think they are in pretty good shape. Cap goes up making Nylander a push.

Let Bertuzzi, Domi, Brodie, Samsonov, Giordano walk. If they make some good moves, (Say acquire a top 3 dman and a decent goalie) they have the cap space for being a strong contender for the next couple years. If they are really good with their moves when Tavares contract is over, then they really are in good shape.

Between the matthews and nylander raises its about 6.5M extra just on those two. The cap is going up maybe 4M, so I wouldn't call it a wash.

Also, almost all of those expiring contracts you listed were signed by treliving this offseason (except giordano who makes league min, and brodie). I don't see why he'd suddenly be able to patch all the leafs holes next offseason when you don't think he should keep anyone he brought in this offseason. Especially considering the cap is going up but the leafs are spending it all and more on extensions.

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
I mean, just look at the company he is in
View attachment 798750
For 45% of one season...

AgePointsGoals
23-2024
27​
5th11th
22-2023
26​
20th14th
21-2022
25​
33rd30th

If he signs for $11.5, he's the 5th highest paid player in the league (barring other high-contracts over the summer this year).

Let's say that through half the season he's having the ~10th best season so far in the NHL (I have guys like J Hughes, Q Hughes, Makar, Matthews ahead of him right now). Yet, in the 2 previous seasons, he's closer to the ~20th best forward in the league (and let's say 25th-30th best player overall).

He simply does not have the resume when looking at the last 3 years to dictate being a top 5 paid player in the league. And he's at his statistical prime based on his age...

• Love
Reactions: waitin425

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
No, the move was not to trade your MVP caliber forward
It was. The reason why you don't see it is that the Leafs' system cannot expose Matthews as the terrible cornerstone piece he is. They're so committed to their big guns that the rest of the roster cannot outshine the core four (for several reasons, naturally).

A top 10 talent in the league, absolutely. A cornerstone piece on a true contender? Far too selfish, far too self-interested to be anywhere close to that.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Makar and Towes combined made less than Brodie during the cup run.
Hedman Serg and Vasi combined made around what Klingberg + Bertuzzi + Samsonov make during the first run
Pietro + Binnington combined made less than Rielly
I could go on. You guys keep conflating “good defenseman” with expensive defenseman. The core could have taken 3 mil less each and we wouldn’t be any closer to a Makar or Hedman without a top 5 pick.
I haven't "conflated" anything. I made a statement that teams need to be well balanced to win Cups. Good defensemen and goalies can be drafted, developed, traded for, or signed via UFA. With NMC's and limited cap space, the Leafs are down to drafting and developing. Good Luck with that!

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010

Yeah, it’s nice to see a couple of haters that actually understand how the cap works. Lol 👊

Like when huberdeau put up 115 points and finished 2nd in league scoring in contract year, then the Panthers re-signed him and he continued being an elite level player?

What's that? It was actually pretty obvious he wouldn't replicate that production so they dumped him on a GM that signed him to the worst contract in the league? I wonder where that GM is now...

LivingRentFree

Feb 18, 2007
Alberta
I don't think anybody has ever been suggesting that the Leafs let any of their big names go to UFA for nothing lol.
Who has the cap room to trade for them, and sign them? Which top D men are available?

You can trash the signing all you’d like. But there is not better option available than keeping your star player.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Who has the cap room to trade for them, and sign them? Which top D men are available?

You can trash the signing all you’d like. But there is not better option available than keeping your star player.

So you're saying other teams wouldn't put a premium on acquiring nylander because he would be too expensive for their cap situation and wouldn't be worth it? What an interesting idea that probably doesn't apply to the leafs...

Mar 26, 2010
The posts in this thread are real gems. :laugh:

If Toronto had failed to retain Matthews and Nylander everyone would be like… Toronto sucks, no one wants play there.

Now that all the players are staying because they love playing in the biggest market in the world… all the contracts are too high. :popcorn:

So much salt here.

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
He's no Timo Meier that's for sure.
Correct, Timo's about 3M cheaper per year, only signed until he's 34, and only has a limited NTC in the last three years of his deal.

Close career numbers too FWIW, having spent the majority of his time and worse teams with worse linemates.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

The90

Feb 27, 2017
So you're saying other teams wouldn't put a premium on acquiring nylander because he would be too expensive for their cap situation and wouldn't be worth it? What an interesting idea that probably doesn't apply to the leafs...
No. He’s saying it’s easier for the leafs to find 4 million to sign Nylander, than it is for the rest of the league to find 11.5 million to fit him into their plans. There’s not an abundance of #1 d available to trade for. A trade for the sake of a trade. Is a waste of time. If it’s that bad of a deal why are you so worked up about it?

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
I would say the full NMC is a bit much on top of that price.. however, if one player in Toronto deserves this treatment (whether overpayment or not) it is Nylander

He was the one who fell short in the first round of buy-ins and so Im glad to see him get his dues here

Number8

Oct 31, 2007

This is true. Leafs had no option and given that they opened the vault for the other three, hard to expect Nylander to now suddenly be generous and giving.

Leafs are paying for past sins of totally ignoring defense. Should have traded Nylander's rights for a very solid D prospect the first time around. But that ship has sailed.

LivingRentFree

Feb 18, 2007
Alberta
Any player of his calibre gets paid. There aren’t a lot of players as good as him.

You’re a Habs fan right? Why are you even in a thread talking about a star forward? The last time the Habs had one, you were suckling at your mothers teet.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I still think Nylander at $11.5 million is crazy, but one context worth putting it in: they signed Tavares for $11 million a year 6 years ago, and I don't think Nylander is a worse player now than Tavares was when they signed him. Granted COVID did make the cap stagnate, but this deal is a lower percentage of the cap than when the Leafs signed Tavares.

I don't think it's an issue for the Leafs to be paying Matthews, Marner and Nylander all $11.5 million a year. It's only really an issue now because they're also paying Tavares that insane money.

Reactions: wintersej

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
The posts in this thread are real gems. :laugh:

If Toronto had failed to retain Matthews and Nylander everyone would be like… Toronto sucks, no one wants play there.

Now that all the players are staying because they love playing in the biggest market in the world… all the contracts are too high. :popcorn:

So much salt here.

Yes. It's because they love playing in the biggest market in the world.

Not because the TML organization is throwing wads of cash at them lol.

• Haha
Reactions: 34

LivingRentFree

Feb 18, 2007
Alberta
This is true. Leafs had no option and given that they opened the vault for the other three, hard to expect Nylander to now suddenly be generous and giving.

Leafs are paying for past sins of totally ignoring defense. Should have traded Nylander's rights for a very solid D prospect the first time around. But that ship has sailed.
Likely would have ended up as a bad move, considering most of the top D prospects from that time frame didn’t pan out whatsoever

I still think Nylander at $11.5 million is crazy, but one context worth putting it in: they signed Tavares for $11 million a year 6 years ago, and I don't think Nylander is a worse player now than Tavares was when they signed him. Granted COVID did make the cap stagnate, but this deal is a lower percentage of the cap than when the Leafs signed Tavares.

I don't think it's an issue for the Leafs to be paying Matthews, Marner and Nylander all $11.5 million a year. It's only really an issue now because they're also paying Tavares that insane money.
Tavares will be on his last year left tho, when these raises kick in. Then he comes back 4-5 million cheaper. I like it honestly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad