Sportsnet: Leafs and Nylander closing ~$11.5M x 8 contract extension (NMC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
But then again when TO hands out those jumbo contracts to AM, Marner and Tavares, why wouldn't he demand it too?... He picked a perfect year to be playing unbelievable and cash in on this
Toronto management doesn't give a flying f*** about winning it cares about selling merchandise

Reactions: Skinnyjimmy08

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
Definition of insanity.

Huge money, huge term, full NMC.

Did they negotiate against themselves? Good lord

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011
What happens to Tavares after next season? He's been a good captain and remarkably consistent for them. I can't imagine they move on from him, but what would his price point be?

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
So what ECHL goalie will they be able to afford next season?

This signing only makes sense if they plan on moving Marner.

If they’re going to come back next season with the same 4 forwards just now with even less cap space… yikes.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
8 years, 11 million, and it sounds like he got a nice NMC too?

Great player, but he did very well for himself here, he got everything he could have wanted.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
What happens to Tavares after next season? He's been a good captain and remarkably consistent for them. I can't imagine they move on from him, but what would his price point be?
I think Tavares takes what Nylander was making to essentially keep the cap hit for the big four around the same.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
So what ECHL goalie will they be able to afford next season?

This signing only makes sense if they plan on moving Marner.

If they’re going to come back next season with the same 4 forwards just now with even less cap space… yikes.

Marner to Pittsburgh E5?

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
Overpay by $1-1.5m. An elite talent having a phenomenal year, but doesn't have the same track record as those others making this kind of money. I love Nylander, am glad he's staying, and won't try to get so deep into cap analysis that you stop enjoying having a player like him on the team, but it's ANOTHER case of two iterations of Leafs GMs blinking, but waiting too long to do so. Coming out of their ELCs there were better deals to be had for Matthews and Marner and there was a more favourable one to be had here, as well. Don't fake taking a stand if you're not willing to follow it through.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
8bnp04.jpg

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
Pasta makes 11.25M and has been superior player to him, recent signing
Aho is going to be making 9.75m from next season forwards, has been a more valuable player than Nylander throughout their career.

Yeah this contract is absolutely stupid

Ok, but the point is that in-house comparables are going to be more relevant than looking league-wide. Why would Nylander take any less?

Reactions: uncleben

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Being the best team out of 32 in any given year is a difficult task. You need all areas of your team, forwards, defence and goalies working well.

This team is an experiment in whether a team can win with 4 elite front end pieces, and a complete dumpster fire at D and G. The experiment will continue for the foreseeable future.

Think about the teams that have won the Cup the past bunch of years...

Vegas - Theodore, Pietro, etc
Avs - Makar, Toews, etc
Tampa - Hedman, Serg, Vasi
Blues - Pietro, Binnington, etc
Caps - Carlson, Holtby, etc
Pens - Letang, etc
Hawks - Keith, Seabrook, etc
Kings - Doughty, Quick, etc

Incredible the Leafs aren't seeing this pattern. Like I said, this is an experiment. An experiment in futility.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Still not "confirmed" confirmed, eh? Would be hilarious if the deal was 99% done and then fell apart for one reason or another.

I'm sure it'll get finalized by noon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad