News Article: Leafs Analysis at Centre - Kadri,Bolland,Bozak

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The 'told you so' tweets sound like responses to your constant bozak heckling, not like instigators.

Bozak has centred one of the most productive lines in hockey three years running now, and is a good pk and faceoff man to boot. He simply cannot be deserving of the obsessive barrage of hate you guys give him.

There is no rule that says you have to understand something before you can tweet or blog about it.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Probably; it's a self fulfilling prophecy that I'm kinda stuck with now, admittedly.

There's stuff I like about Bozak. He's good in the shootout, when his shot connects period it's pretty accurate, he doesn't take a lot of penalties, he appears to be a solid guy in the locker room and to fans (though he should really ignore his Twitter and forget Halloween is a thing). While his faceoff ability is grossly overstated (he paces out to an extra draw win a game above average, and less than a goal gained per season), he's still the guy on this team that you trust when you need a big draw.
I also don't blame him for taking his contract, and know that he tries his absolute best to try to live up to the expectations of his paycheque and role.

This is all stuff that I point out with frequency too, but it gets ignored because I'm "the Hates Bozak guy"

There are a lot of people who dislike him to the point of thinking he's not even an NHL level player, which is a stretch. I think he'd be a stellar third line centre that you can occasionally bump up to the second line, and would be awesome to have short term at 2-2.5M. Maybe more if you're a team that's not pushed up against the cap.

But I don't think it's deniable at this point that his line produces in spite of him, not because of him, and that his impact on Kessel's production dwindles by the year. Pretty much every time someone else has been tried next to Kessel, while the sample size is small, that player has out produced Bozak and Kessel's numbers have gone up. I don't think it's unrealstic to feel that other people should be used in that role if there's statistical evidence that there would be a benefit. Even the "he's the defensive cog" argument is starting to fade as Kessel and JVR's two way games improve and Bozak's defensive numbers seep towards the bottom half of Toronto's forwards.

I also don't think it's a coincidence that the PK improved when he became the centre of the second unit instead of the first. Not to say that he's bad, but he looks for the SHG more than McClement does which leads to more turnovers and fewer clears. I still think he has merit on the PK but he isn't a game changer.

Basically, his job is to play a high offensive role and there are other players, even internally, that seem like they'd be better at it. I think that while pointing this out can be tiresome to some, there's merit to expressing the info, especially since my audience/readership frequently changes.

The consequence, of course, is being typecast as being completely biased against a player like I am now. The reality is that I like him, I just really don't like the role he has on this team.

Personaly i'd give him more credit than even that. He seems like a perfectly average 2way 2nd line center to me, and paid fairly. He'd be a luxury as a third line C. And i can't seriously argue that he drags down his linemates, when kessel, lupes, and jvr have all managed career bests when playing on his line. Sure they'd be better with a legit first line c on their line but there's not many lines in hockey made up if three legit first liners, and for good reason.

But if your last sentence is true, and you do actually like bozak as a player...then yeah, you're not doing a good job conveying that message.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
Probably; it's a self fulfilling prophecy that I'm kinda stuck with now, admittedly.

There's stuff I like about Bozak. He's good in the shootout, when his shot connects period it's pretty accurate, he doesn't take a lot of penalties, he appears to be a solid guy in the locker room and to fans (though he should really ignore his Twitter and forget Halloween is a thing). While his faceoff ability is grossly overstated (he paces out to an extra draw win a game above average, and less than a goal gained per season), he's still the guy on this team that you trust when you need a big draw.
I also don't blame him for taking his contract, and know that he tries his absolute best to try to live up to the expectations of his paycheque and role.

This is all stuff that I point out with frequency too, but it gets ignored because I'm "the Hates Bozak guy"

There are a lot of people who dislike him to the point of thinking he's not even an NHL level player, which is a stretch. I think he'd be a stellar third line centre that you can occasionally bump up to the second line, and would be awesome to have short term at 2-2.5M. Maybe more if you're a team that's not pushed up against the cap.

But I don't think it's deniable at this point that his line produces in spite of him, not because of him, and that his impact on Kessel's production dwindles by the year. Pretty much every time someone else has been tried next to Kessel, while the sample size is small, that player has out produced Bozak and Kessel's numbers have gone up. I don't think it's unrealstic to feel that other people should be used in that role if there's statistical evidence that there would be a benefit. Even the "he's the defensive cog" argument is starting to fade as Kessel and JVR's two way games improve and Bozak's defensive numbers seep towards the bottom half of Toronto's forwards.

I also don't think it's a coincidence that the PK improved when he became the centre of the second unit instead of the first. Not to say that he's bad, but he looks for the SHG more than McClement does which leads to more turnovers and fewer clears. I still think he has merit on the PK but he isn't a game changer.

Basically, his job is to play a high offensive role and there are other players, even internally, that seem like they'd be better at it. I think that while pointing this out can be tiresome to some, there's merit to expressing the info, especially since my audience/readership frequently changes.

The consequence, of course, is being typecast as being completely biased against a player like I am now. The reality is that I like him, I just really don't like the role he has on this team.

I have the exact same stance on Bozak

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

I want to see proof that he could be a stellar 3c. I highly doubt he can hack it. Maybe I am wrong I don't think he can.

Crispy Crust

Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
I want to see proof that he could be a stellar 3c. I highly doubt he can hack it. Maybe I am wrong I don't think he can.

I don't think he would even make a quality 3C. He might have the offensive production for it, but his defense in 5vs5 situations would most likely negate what ever positive impact he brings to the table offensively.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto

lol at people thinking bozak isn't good enough to play as a third line centre.

bozak is a good player. he can play. he can put the puck in the net. good at getting the puck to kessel. good at faceoffs. good on the PK. good on the shootout.

is he an elite goal scorer or playmaker? no.

can he score goals and set up nice plays? of course.

to be honest, i think he's done a hell of a job being thrown in to the number 1 centre role on this team over the last few years.

I think we've got 4 good centres. I would say that Kadri is most likely the best of the 4 of them... but the other 3 are all good too.

Our top 9 is so strong, I don't really care who plays as a #1, #2 or #3. If Bozak is on the first line, second line, or third line... it doesn't really bother me. I have confidence in all 4 of our centres to play well in whatever role they're in.

So if you want to argue that bozak should get less ice time, no PP time, and to put him on the 2nd or 3rd line.. that's fine. I too would like to see Kadri on our top line a little longer to see how it works out. But to claim that Bozak shouldn't even be a #3 centre is a huge stretch and I think it's pretty ridiculous to think that low of him. The guy has played on the top line for years against the best players in the league and hasn't looked too out of place. I think he would do great in a 3rd line role with PK duties.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
No, this is a huge stretch:

"bozak is a good player. he can play. he can put the puck in the net. good at getting the puck to kessel. good at faceoffs. good on the PK. good on the shootout."

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Brilliant Article. Its amazing how people can keep their eyes closed when the truth in literally right in front of them. Open your eyes people.

The truth that is literally right in front of us is that with Bozak as their #1 center the Leafs are currently 4th in the league in goals scored, were 6th in the league in goals scored last season, and were 10th in the league in goals scored the season before.

It is amazing how people like you keep ignoring those facts. But I guess evidence only matters when it supports your agenda eh?

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
The truth that is literally right in front of us is that with Bozak as their #1 center the Leafs are currently 4th in the league in goals scored, were 6th in the league in goals scored last season, and were 10th in the league in goals scored the season before.

It is amazing how people like you keep ignoring those facts. But I guess evidence only matters when it supports your agenda eh?

See, people say he's good defensively, and good with the puck. The evidence supports the opposite. Also, what are his numbers on those high scoring teams? It's already been proven that his contribution to the offense generated is very minimal.

In reality, the evidence does support moving him off that line.

Dr Turk

Jul 4, 2008
Toronto
See, people say he's good defensively, and good with the puck. The evidence supports the opposite. Also, what are his numbers on those high scoring teams? It's already been proven that his contribution to the offense generated is very minimal.

In reality, the evidence does support moving him off that line.

What? The evidence says that the Leafs offense has been incredibly successful with Bozak on the top line. Why are you people so insistent on fixing something that isn't broken?

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
Kadri's stats in just 3 games on the new top line:

2G, 3A, 5 Points and a +5

Bozak's stats in 11 games on the top line:

3G, 3A, 6 Points and a +5

No brainer who stays on the 1st line when Bozak's back...

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012

Agreed, although I don't hate Bozie, I just really wanna try him on the 2nd line with Kadri on the first.

Let's give kessel a true playmaker and see how good they can play.

MajorityRules*

Yeah, too bad Carlyle is smart enough to spread the offence out. Bozak will be back on the Kessel/JVR line as soon as he's back. I guarantee it.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
Yeah, too bad Carlyle is smart enough to spread the offence out. Bozak will be back on the Kessel/JVR line as soon as he's back. I guarantee it.

Bozak is out for roughly another 3 weeks. Kadri's chance to solidify his spot on the 1st line. If things are rolling smoothly for a few weeks and the teams winning, Carlyle would be crazy to demote Kadri to the 2nd line.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

it's more important that the team does well than just one line.

stacking a top line is not always the best strategy for a team.

though, it might be.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Bozak is out for roughly another 3 weeks. Kadri's chance to solidify his spot on the 1st line. If things are rolling smoothly for a few weeks and the teams winning, Carlyle would be crazy to demote Kadri to the 2nd line.

What is your source on that?

EDIT: Never mind. I saw the post in the other thread.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
Brilliant Article. Its amazing how people can keep their eyes closed when the truth in literally right in front of them. Open your eyes people.

Bozak should be in the NHL just not in the 1st line. Try reading the article and you'll understand why.

I know I'll probably get bashed for this but it's amazing to me how these nobody bloggers just totally disrespect a NHL player, calling him "terrible" and "awful", yet he obviously plays a role on this team or Carlyle wouldn't play him.

Not only that, it's by some criteria the blogger "generally assumed" could accurately represent how awful Bozak is.

I'm not saying Bozak fits the stereotypical #1C role, I would love to see Eric Staal or whomever between JVR and Kessel but that's not going to happen. If Kadri is able to keep this up maybe we've got our #1C I don't know.

@Diatomic I bolded and up the size of the part of his post you seemed to not read. (Ironic seeing how you preach to him that HE should read the article.)

I am with Ramsay on this one. Yeah we get it Bozak is not a #1C and in an ideal world he would not be on that line and with any luck Kadri will seize this chance and prove to RC why he should be in that position but the fact of the matter is Bozak or not Phil and JVR have shown to produce with him on that line. Does Bozak make a difference? Maybe, Maybe not but the fact of the matter is we are not getting a Eric Staal or a Toews so we kind of have to make the best of what we have and deal with it.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Bolland doesn't appear to have ever been a good face-off man.

I don't think he's had a year over 49%, and probably has about a 47.5% average.

Kruger looks to have replaced him, with a 50% and 2 million in cap savings.

/*
So how did the Hawks draft centers?

Oh, I see, development. drafted in 2009, and developed.

Center -- shoots L
Born May 27 1990 -- Stockholm, Sweden
[23 yrs. ago]
Height 6.00 -- Weight 181 [183 cm/82 kg]

Drafted by Chicago Blackhawks
- round 5 #149 overall 2009 NHL Entry Draft

Wasn't 2009 Burke's no-Euro draft?
*/

Leafs sit 27th. in face-offs.

Do the Leafs have any prospects, anywhere, with a good face-off percentage that they could emergency recall?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Leafs sit 27th. in face-offs.

Do the Leafs have any prospects, anywhere, with a good face-off percentage that they could emergency recall?

Leafs also sit 29th in puck possession/ shot differential totals and I wonder if there is any correlation between face-offs won\lost and gaining puck possession? ;)

I suppose "Strength down the middle" really has merit and not just a fancy catch phrase, and part of that is FO % totals and puck possession time as a result.

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Grabo now at 13 points in 14 games. Y'know, just sayin.

& Washington is getting that for $3 mil and not $5.5 mil like Leafs were scheduled to pay him, which takes away an additional $2.5 mil in team cap space.

It was never about Grabs it was his salary and cap hit that forced his removal.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
& Washington is getting that for $3 mil and not $5.5 mil like Leafs were scheduled to pay him, which takes away an additional $2.5 mil in team cap space.

What exactly is Clarkson bringing us? PK time?

Wheels

Aug 22, 2004

If we're comparing apples to apples, the difference is between Grabo's $5.5 and Bozak's $4.2, since I think we all agree it was one or the other between those two given that Bolland was acquired on draft day before Grabo was bought out or Bozak was re-signed.

So the difference is really $1.3 M in cap space to have a superior player at a crucial position. Plus we could have bought out Liles and saved a substantial amount of cap room that way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad