Friedman: Leafs "All in" for best forward they can get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blitz

Let's Go B-U-F-F-A-L-O!!!
Dec 14, 2009
Ontario
Legit curious question... How do the Leafs expect to generate enough cap space in 5 days to add anything? Their roster is already a man down at 22 & their projected cap is still <$150K!

The only 'moveable' guys upfront who make sense or even make a dent are Kerfoot who has 2 years left on his ugly deal - and will not be easy to dump & Hyman which seems kinda pointless just to add another comparable UFA fwd, as he's been pretty good.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Legit curious question... How do the Leafs expect to generate enough cap space in 5 days to add anything? Their roster is already a man down at 22 & their projected cap is still <$150K!

The only 'moveable' guys upfront who make sense or even make a dent are Kerfoot who has 2 years left on his ugly deal - and will not be easy to dump & Hyman which seems kinda pointless just to add another comparable UFA fwd, as he's been pretty good.

It's true. "All in" doesn't mean a lot when you have so little cap space. Sure TOR could sweeten the deal and ask for 50% salary retention. That only gets you so far, and probably not a player with a lot of impact.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012

They can and they will

Space Coyote

Oct 29, 2010
They can and they will

kyle-dubas.jpg

Reactions: xECK29x

Blaine8797

Nov 26, 2018
On Wednesday night hockey he just said this. He said all chips are on the table.

So... Who is the best forward they could get? A 3rd team could be used to make the cap work.
They are going to overpay for laughton I’ll put that on the table right now that’s who they pick up if Philly loses their next game

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010

Hyman has been amazing, Kerfoot still has positive value on his contract wouldn’t be hard to move him. Engvel is another one they could move to free cap space. They could also get the other team to retain.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018

LTIR Andersen might be possible retroactively.

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
I believe they need a LW with size and speed, who can wear down defenders in a playoff series and help open up space for that top line. Preferably one that can shoot a little too.

Brady Tkachuk would ideal (but unlikely). Nick Foligno, Miles Wood, or Adrian Kempe perhaps.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Not interested in players with term, they will mess up our expansion draft planning and end up costing us a lot extra to protect. Happy to go big game hunting on a rental though. Schwartz (if he's available to rent) or Foligno would be at the top of the list, followed by Laughton and Iafallo. Not sure about the goaltending situation, but getting someone healthy to back up Campbell might be nice depending on Andersen's status.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
And that has worked them before how in the past???....LOL.
When does Leafs GM learn.....oy-vey!.

John Tavares signing was the biggest mistake ever
and Leafs gonna do it all over again???...but this time
its the trade deadline move...
They seem to be doing really well with the Tavares signing. They signed their captain and a close to PPG player. They really are only looking for depth players. It won’t break their bank.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
I never quite understood the mentality for win "OMG WE HAVE TO WIN RIGHT NOW" while sacrificing success for a longer duration in the future even if it the Leafs.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
They are going to overpay for laughton I’ll put that on the table right now that’s who they pick up if Philly loses their next game
Dubas and his analytics group won't go for Laughton, imo. He gets results, despite lesser analytic stats.....but Dubas values those.

I see Laughton going to a team with a more "old school" GM....assuming we do move him(and we should).

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Are there recent cases where adding a top 6 fwd or top 4 dmen work?

More often than not to me it seems like it's too late in the season to develop chemistry. You are better going with lesser players and better chemistry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad