Friedman: Leafs "All in" for best forward they can get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
For what it's worth, playing Iafallo off the top line is also a mismatch. His cap hit for the rest of the season, at 50% retention, would only be $303,000.

Iafallo is without a doubt a top six forward for Toronto, maybe even playing with with Matthews and Marner on the top line.

Taking back Kerfoot was purely a cap dump scenario, but if he's valuable, I'll happily pass on him.

Ya I think the intention with acquiring Iafallo is to have a second Hyman. Would allow Keefe to drop Hyman back to the 3rd line where he was dominating while giving Matthews and Marner someone who plays a similar game.

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
I'd much rather iafallo, Laughton and a depth D than a guy like Hall. Someone is bound to get hurt in the playoffs.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
shouldnt they be looking for goaltending depth instead of F ?

Hyman is the hardest working guy on the team , lets reward him with bottom 6 for kyles flav of the trade deadline

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
shouldnt they be looking for goaltending depth instead of F ?

Hyman is the hardest working guy on the team , lets reward him with bottom 6 for kyles flav of the trade deadline
I'd imagine they're looking at a goalie before the deadline. And a defenseman to boot.

Ice Mammoth

Mar 14, 2021
From what I've heard about Hoffman, I don't believe the 3rd line is where he'd be best used. Also, if he isn't scoring, I've heard he's a liability. Personally, I hope he's not on Dubas' list.

I agree with you.

Hoffman in the third three is unusual.
If this is my mistake, it is no coincidence.
The calculation is very simple.
Playoff injuries are common. :(
If necessary, Hoffman can replace Marner and Nielander.
Of course, not 100% or even 70%.

Hoffman will sign a new contract this summer.
A chance to win the Stanley Cup.
We'll see how it goes?

Palmieri was my favorite at RW. Lou Lamoriello is great. Good deal.
Palmieri's value confirmed the possibility of exchanges.
Palmieri is Dubas' second mistake this season.
First mistake - Corey Perry

The Nash exchange is the right move.
This does not obviate the need for other correct actions.
Stock up on popcorn. :popcorn:

Jan 21, 2018
What I can’t believe is how much skill and players does this team need to make it out of the first round? I’m not even making a joke just need an answer

Since they haven’t made it out of the first round, they are looking to add more skill and players to help increase their odds of advancing.

I’m failing to understand why that is such a hard concept for you to believe.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
Yea a better strategy is to reward 4th liners like Komarov with 1st line minutes. Doesn’t seem like a smart way to keep your franchise center happy, but I’m not complaining :)
We have to be extra careful since we have two franchise centers....

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
I agree with you.

Hoffman in the third three is unusual.
If this is my mistake, it is no coincidence.
The calculation is very simple.
Playoff injuries are common. :(
If necessary, Hoffman can replace Marner and Nielander.
Of course, not 100% or even 70%.

Hoffman will sign a new contract this summer.
A chance to win the Stanley Cup.
We'll see how it goes?

Palmieri was my favorite at RW. Lou Lamoriello is great. Good deal.
Palmieri's value confirmed the possibility of exchanges.
Palmieri is Dubas' second mistake this season.
First mistake - Corey Perry

The Nash exchange is the right move.
This does not obviate the need for other correct actions.
Stock up on popcorn. :popcorn:
Nothing better than theater popcorn, though. Haha
I agree with you on those two points, but I think Dubas would prefer an actual left wing player. The latest I'm hearing is that we might be getting Nick Foligno. I wouldn't mind that.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Why would the Leafs do this though..? Iafallo might be an upgrade but it's not a significant one

I would do this trade for 3 reasons.

1. Iafallo has demonstrated the ability to play alongside a top player (Kopitar) and is able to handle fairly significant minutes. He slots in well with Matthews and Marner, allowing Keefe to use Zack Hyman as a line driver for the 3rd line, as well as a Swiss Army Knife, up and down the lineup.

2. Toronto is going to lose Kerfoot in the off season to trade or to Seattle in the expansion draft, regardless. I'd rather upgrade him now for a playoff run, as long as the cost is reasonable, than lose him for nothing in the off season.

3. The trade for Riley Nash clearly demonstrates a desire to play a defensive 4th line in the playoffs. That means that Kerfoot either centers the 3rd line, or is pushed to the wing. Toronto has plenty of options on the wing as it stands, but they're all of the bottom 6 variety, where as Iafallo gives them a legitimate top 6 option, something they are short of on the left side.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
You guys are idiots.

Kerfoot is one our best players right now.
He plays shutdown D, PKs, is speed, can finish, excellent passer, and, has chemistry with most of the team.

He's not getting traded. Iafallo plays with Anze Kopitar --- ofcourse his numbers are going to be inflated!

Kerfoot plays on the 4th line, with no PP minutes, and is still producing 0.5PPG.
He's' our ultimate mismatch, and, absolutely dominates other teams 4th lines.

No, we're not idiots, we just have a different opinion than you. Grow up.

Horton Hears A Woo

Sep 20, 2011
Connecticut
Since they haven’t made it out of the first round, they are looking to add more skill and players to help increase their odds of advancing.

I’m failing to understand why that is such a hard concept for you to believe.
Dude this is my first post and I asked an honest question. Let’s relax today people

Jan 21, 2018
Dude this is my first post and I asked an honest question. Let’s relax today people

I asked you an honest question in return. Why is it so hard to believe that a team that is struggling to get out of the 1st round is trying to acquire more skill and players?

I’m trying to understand why you feel that is so impossible to believe. Do you mind explaining that to me?

Ice Mammoth

Mar 14, 2021
Nothing better than theater popcorn, though. Haha
I agree with you on those two points, but I think Dubas would prefer an actual left wing player. The latest I'm hearing is that we might be getting Nick Foligno. I wouldn't mind that.

I've written a lot about Foligno, on various forum threads.
I wrote about the financial and resource potential of Toronto.

There is no need to choose.
In commentary # 379, I wrote the names of five players (@ 50% Ret):
Bernier, Schwartz, Foligno, Hoffman, Stecher.

Many other candidates.
First the goalkeeper, then the other players. This can be done.

You wrote "Nothing better than theater popcorn, though".
I agree with you. There should be a lot of popcorn. :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::)

Reactions: Beleafer34

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Patrik Laine (50%)

for

Amirov, Mikheyev, Kerfoot, conditional 2nd-ish rounder (1st if leafs somehow, someway re-sign Laine, 2nd otherwise).

Leafs flip Laine's rights in the summer.

Who says no?

I don't think Laine will be excited to re-sign in Columbus and this is Leafs' easiest path to finals they'll ever get.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Does this team look playoff ready?
Fantasy land:
Andersen and Nash shutdown till playoffs. Campbell keeps rolling

1st, prospects, Kerfoot, Engvall in play to make it happen:

Iafallo - Matthews - Marner
Galchenyuk - Tavares - Nylander
Simmonds - Laughton - Hyman
Spezza/Thornton**-Nash - Mikhayev

Rielly-Brodie
Muzzin-Holl
Dermott-Bogosian

Campbell
Andersen

**Spezza/Thornton come in and out, when in - it's more sheltered, Iafallo and Hyman cycle through the 4th line when the bench shortens at the end of games

WidgitRibbit

Mar 25, 2021
If I was Anaheim? I would be ringing Toronto and asking what they would offer for Rakell. The trade history between the two clubs is almost inevitable both clubs have each other on speed dial.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad