Confirmed with Link: Leafs acquire Brennan Menell for a cond. 7th rd pick in 2022 [Upd 8/1: signed 1 yr/2 way contract]

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
DOBBER: We should also talk about another defenceman in Brennan Menell. He was traded from Minnesota to Toronto for a conditional 7th, or else nothing. This one could hurt the Wild.
As a 21-year-old in the AHL in 2018-19, the 5'10 Menell led the Iowa Wild defecemen in production (44 points) by a mile (next-closest at 24). As a 21-year-old, he tied Jake Bean in points/game in the AHL. He followed that up by finishing the 2019-20 season with 47 points in 57 games, virtually an identical point pace to Bean, and they also had near-identical shot rates per game – 2.33 for Mennen and 2.41 for Bean. He then went to the KHL and blew the doors off as a 23-year-old, finishing second in scoring in the league among rearguards.

So, we have a guy who performed similarly to Jake Bean in the AHL, ran circles in the KHL, and is only one year older than Bean at age 24. Why, exactly, is Minnesota getting rid of him for nothing?
This has big potential for the Leafs. Maybe Menell flames out into nothing; we have seen lots of players light up the AHL and KHL but not be able to translate it to the NHL. All the same, this seems like a great bet by Toronto, as guys who produce well across a variety of leagues at a young age tend to keep up that trend in the NHL. Not all the time, but for a 7th-round pick, it's very much worth finding out. The Leafs also have a spot on the right side of their blue line that is open should Menell play his way there out of camp. He is worth a flier in deeper leagues and I would be adding him in dynasty leagues right now. He could be a year away from being the PP1 QB for Toronto.

Most Wild fans have no clue. Guerin ego tripped a valuable prospect out of town for no assets so he could sign other random career AHL defensemen to similar contracts.

Reactions: GrizzGreen

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
I see they've added the conditions of this trade. A 7th if Menell plays 30 games for the Leafs in 2021-22.

GrizzGreen

Oct 16, 2017
Laguna
Interested to hear your thoughts on the player himself. What can we expect out of him?
Hard worker with a lot of offensive talent and some edge. Hasn't really had enough sample size to know how that'll translate at the NHL level but he's stepped into his role with ease and improved year over year.

Think Krug style player with more of a potential to really be a powerplay QB

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
Guerin made a smart move, soon as agents perceive an GM being a turd, ain't good for the franchise at all.

Kudos to Dubas for all his moves. Maybe I am a homer and a sucker for the blue and white, but I feel better about the team right now.

He also made some good Marlie moves, I dunno about you guys, but I like having a very competitive team in the AHL.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
So let’s say Dubas gets this guy to sign for a couple of years. We won’t lose him to Group 6 UFA next year. Also if he shows up in camp and plays well why not throw him up with Muzzin, drop Holl down to the 3rd pairing with Dermott or Sandin. Give the guy some PP minutes to show he is ready for the show. At least try it in preseason.

Reactions: geo25

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Perfect example of how any assets you could have gotten from the Hyman sign-and-trade could amount to something on your roster.
An example of what we could but likely wouldn't have got. Besides, you can obviously find undrafted players like him.

harvestglen

Oct 29, 2013
An example of what we could but likely wouldn't have got. Besides, you can obviously find undrafted players like him.
I wasn't even talking about the odds of a draft pick so much as the additional trade capital, however modest. Though while even while we're at it, even just the chance at a pick is a benefit to the alternative. I actually like what the team has been doing at the draft post-Hunter for the most part too.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
A two way deal as well showing that he I at least willing to play/start with the Marlies.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
His numbers since entering the AHL have been very strong (his WHL numbers were strong too). I think he's a guy who could find a spot on this team and perhaps make others expendable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad