Confirmed with Link: Leafs acquire Brennan Menell for a cond. 7th rd pick in 2022 [Upd 8/1: signed 1 yr/2 way contract]

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
Is this a T.J Brennan type of move? No pun intended. Is he just gonna be a guy who lights up the AHL?

Possibly, but he's a guy who clearly deserves an NHL shot to see if he can stick and he wasn't going to get it in Minnesota ahead of Spurgeon, Dumba, and now Goligoski.

Reactions: Menzinger

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Possibly, but he's a guy who clearly deserves an NHL shot to see if he can stick and he wasn't going to get it in Minnesota ahead of Spurgeon, Dumba, and now Goligoski.
Hard to see who he'd replace in the Leafs top 6 blue liners right. I'm guessing hes the first call up given his experience.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Does he need waivers to go to the Marlies?

I see yes and I see no in the posts so far.

kb

Aug 28, 2009

Yes, he will need to pass through waivers. Hopefully the $400k minor league salary will pose a bit of a deterrent to being claimed.....

But if not, it was a freebie.

Reactions: The Iceman

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
On a two way deal he doesn’t have to clear waiver. Outstanding job by Dubas.
2-way vs 1-way is irrelevant for waivers. A 2-way deal just means you make a different salary in the minors than in the NHL, 1-way means you make the same salary irrespective of whether you are in the NHL or AHL.

Waiver eligibility is determined by age and service time

cgc83

30-HELENS-AGREE
Jul 8, 2018
most likely seals the fate of Liljegren not playing in the line up next season

United35

Jan 16, 2021
2-way vs 1-way is irrelevant for waivers. A 2-way deal just means you make a different salary in the minors than in the NHL, 1-way means you make the same salary irrespective of whether you are in the NHL or AHL.

Waiver eligibility is determined by age and service time

learn something new everyday. Thank you.

United35

Jan 16, 2021

sorry my bad, apparently he would have to clear waivers if sent down. I had always thought a two way deal meant they could be sent up and down without the potential for being claimed

Reactions: The Iceman

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
If they wanted to block Liljegren they could have done a lot better than Brennan Menell.
Agreed.
They are giving liljigren a shot to win a spot.
If he can’t beat out Mennel, he will never make it in Toronto. Probably gets dealt for a mid round pick if he loses the battle in camp.

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018
Oh noooo not another 7th round pick that might become the next Zetterberg.
Good point but we also know a 6th is valued less than nothing.
Zetterberg was drafted way late.
Luc Robattile.
Datsuyk.
No doubt a bunch of very good players drafted late.
This kid may be great but if you aren’t in the NHL by 24 , you probably never will be.
Keep the pick and let your brilliant mgt group make a pick.
Or add the pick with a bad player like Engvall and hope to get a fourth.
Use the fourth and another bed player like Holl and try for a second.
What you should not do is lose a player for nothing when you could have gotten a sixth.
Makes no sense.

Mckay

I find your lack of gravy disturbing.
Mar 5, 2014
Canada
Good point but we also know a 6th is valued less than nothing.
Zetterberg was drafted way late.
Luc Robattile.
Datsuyk.
No doubt a bunch of very good players drafted late.
This kid may be great but if you aren’t in the NHL by 24 , you probably never will be.
Keep the pick and let your brilliant mgt group make a pick.
Or add the pick with a bad player like Engvall and hope to get a fourth.
Use the fourth and another bed player like Holl and try for a second.
What you should not do is lose a player for nothing when you could have gotten a sixth.
Makes no sense.

For the millionth time. It's not for nothing. It shows Holland and other GMs that you can't be strong armed into taking less than you think you should get.

Man, people whined when Dubas caved and gave Marner maybe ~2 million too much, but now they are whining that he DIDN'T cave and take too little.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Free wallet to me. Positive growth every year like clockwork. I really want to see this guy in camp because his pro numbers are impressive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->