Confirmed with Link: Leafs acquire Brennan Menell for a cond. 7th rd pick in 2022 [Upd 8/1: signed 1 yr/2 way contract]

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
dude only signed in KHL due to circumstance (AHL shutdowns)

it's not like he's drawn to play there or determined to stay there.

he wanted a 1 way, Minnesota offered 2-way. If Leafs give 1-way he'll likely sign.

This is probably right (or I'm hoping it is) -- it was about the money. Huge difference between ~$70,000 in the AHL and ~$700,000 one-way NHL deal.

Another example of the Leafs putting their resources to good use when other teams have to be a little more cautious.

Also, I don't think this says anything about what they think of Liljegren: getting a near ppg rhd at the AHL/KHL level for a 7th is an offer you really don't turn down.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Never heard of him.
Any chance he's the best player not currently in the NHL?
it's quite most assuredly possible

He's now a Leaf afterall

5'11" 180 he might be the compact version of Erik Karlsson

a late bloomer who has lot's of O, some D, but his physical skills(skating shooting) all say NHL

from a few years back

Down on the Farm: Menell continues making strides in Iowa
Menell is now part of Iowa's top defensive pairing, playing alongside either veteran Matt Bartkowski or Louie Belpedio, another young Wild defenseman showing promise this season. Menell's production from the blueline has helped make the Wild power play one of the most effective in the AHL. He already has the club record for most assists in a season by an Iowa defenseman and is closing in on the most points in a season for a blueliner.

Menell, now in his second full season with Iowa, has caught a lot of eyes from the scouting row at Wells Fargo Arena as he has developed from a promising, but unproven, 20-year-old rookie last year into a key part of the Wild's roster. Not only does he log minutes on the top power-play unit, but he's also been an effective penalty killer.

"He was a young kid at 20 who no one expected to be there and he handled it quite well," said David Cunniff, Iowa's associate coach who works with the club's defensemen and coordinates the power play. "He is one of those guys who just kept on passing every test he has had. It began at the first development camp last year and it has just continued."

who knows, certainly will add something to the Marlies, tough hill to climb if he wants to play with the Leafs

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
it's quite most assuredly possible

He's now a Leaf afterall

5'11" 180 he might be the compact version of Erik Karlsson

a late bloomer who has lot's of O, some D, but his physical skills(skating shooting) all say NHL

from a few years back

Down on the Farm: Menell continues making strides in Iowa

who knows, certainly will add something to the Marlies, tough hill to climb if he wants to play with the Leafs
I think it's expected he'll be a Leaf this season.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Leafs get their goalie in Mrazek, say goodbye to Hyman, Andersen as NHL free agency opens | Toronto Sun

Also on Wednesday as the busy day got underway, the Leafs acquired the rights to defenceman Brennan Menell from the Minnesota Wild with a conditional seventh-round pick in 2022 going the other way. If Menell plays in 30 games for the Leafs in 2021-22, the pick will be transferred to the Wild.

Menell, 24, spent the 2020-21 season with Minsk Dynamo of the KHL, recording 38 points (five goals and 33) in 47 games. Menell played in five games with the Wild two seasons ago.

In 2016-17, in his final season in the Western Hockey League, Menell had 71 points in 70 games.

Reactions: Rocker13

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I think it's expected he'll be a Leaf this season.
not so sure

unless there are some moves made in which the Leafs lose one of the top 6, I really don't know enough about the guy to believe he'll step in front of Dermott and/or Sandin to get playing time on a regular basis. I mean all kidding aside, I hope by some miracle he's all-star material that can step seamlessly into the 1st pair with Brodie and improve it radically, but as for now I'm really hoping Rielly get's his mojo back, and this kid gets a fair shot here, because it sounds like he didn't get a fair shake with Minny.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
What's the story behind him not just re-signing with the Wild? The Wild who have 4 NHL defensemen under contract.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Tell me you don't believe in Liljegren without telling me you don't believe in Liljegren
Actually i see it wa quite to opposite. Instead of signing a guy who is penned into the bottom pairing like a Bogo or any of the other guys getting paid today Dubas brought in a guy overdue for a shot, but not someone who’s owed anything.

Reactions: Doc300c

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Googling Menell I found a story from back when he was with the Vancouver Giants dated November 2015 referring to him walking out of the team citing a loss of passion for hockey: Vancouver Giants continue to be in turmoil as two more players leave the team

He clearly returned soon after as he played 69 WHL games that season.

Regardless of the team or player, I wish every player gets the best out of their abilities and becomes the best player he can be.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
What's the story behind him not just re-signing with the Wild? The Wild who have 4 NHL defensemen under contract.
When the nhl/AHL put together the outline for this past season and the AHL didn’t look like it would get going he decided to sign in the KHL for pro athlete money and playing time vs bag skating on the taxi squad all season for what equates to plumbers money (Guerin tried to squeeze him with a 2 way deal and there wasn’t an AHL season to look forward to at the time)

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
When the nhl/AHL put together the outline for this past season and the AHL didn’t look like it would get going he decided to sign in the KHL for pro athlete money and playing time vs bag skating on the taxi squad all season for what equates to plumbers money (Guerin tried to squeeze him with a 2 way deal and there wasn’t an AHL season to look forward to at the time)

That doesn't explain why he hasn't signed to play for the Wild this season. I seriously doubt he gets a 1-way deal from the Leafs.

Beyonder91

RASMUS
Oct 13, 2006
Toronto
This is probably right (or I'm hoping it is) -- it was about the money. Huge difference between ~$70,000 in the AHL and ~$700,000 one-way NHL deal.

Another example of the Leafs putting their resources to good use when other teams have to be a little more cautious.

Also, I don't think this says anything about what they think of Liljegren: getting a near ppg rhd at the AHL/KHL level for a 7th is an offer you really don't turn down.

It was about him actually being able to play.
AHL season was up in the air and Wild were full on D. He didn't want to be on a taxi squad.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
That doesn't explain why he hasn't signed to play for the Wild this season. I seriously doubt he gets a 1-way deal from the Leafs.
Because when he left minny for the K he hurt Guerin’s feelings…..
why does it matter to Toronto if he’s on a one or two way deal? They’re not a budget team like the wild & others. If it’s a one way he’s more likely to clear waivers and there’s literally no difference as far as cap construction, only in the paycheck he cashes

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
DOBBER: We should also talk about another defenceman in Brennan Menell. He was traded from Minnesota to Toronto for a conditional 7th, or else nothing. This one could hurt the Wild.
As a 21-year-old in the AHL in 2018-19, the 5'10 Menell led the Iowa Wild defecemen in production (44 points) by a mile (next-closest at 24). As a 21-year-old, he tied Jake Bean in points/game in the AHL. He followed that up by finishing the 2019-20 season with 47 points in 57 games, virtually an identical point pace to Bean, and they also had near-identical shot rates per game – 2.33 for Mennen and 2.41 for Bean. He then went to the KHL and blew the doors off as a 23-year-old, finishing second in scoring in the league among rearguards.

So, we have a guy who performed similarly to Jake Bean in the AHL, ran circles in the KHL, and is only one year older than Bean at age 24. Why, exactly, is Minnesota getting rid of him for nothing?
This has big potential for the Leafs. Maybe Menell flames out into nothing; we have seen lots of players light up the AHL and KHL but not be able to translate it to the NHL. All the same, this seems like a great bet by Toronto, as guys who produce well across a variety of leagues at a young age tend to keep up that trend in the NHL. Not all the time, but for a 7th-round pick, it's very much worth finding out. The Leafs also have a spot on the right side of their blue line that is open should Menell play his way there out of camp. He is worth a flier in deeper leagues and I would be adding him in dynasty leagues right now. He could be a year away from being the PP1 QB for Toronto.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I was thinking this year's Lehtonen. Hopefully he is better than both.
well Ozhiganov had 9 points in 42 games before coming over, which is a pretty big step down from Mennell having 38 in 47. Lehtonen was better in the KHL, but he's older and had no track record of playing in NA

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I knew this name sounded familiar but I couldn't place it at first.

Brennan Menell played for the Vancouver Giants of the WHL and against my Kelowna Rockets but that was 5 or more years ago now.

He was never drafted in the entry draft and passed over 3 times so I don't have any recollection of his play only the name recognition.

Glad its only a conditional pick and if Menell doesn't dress for 20 Leaf games next year it doesn't cost the Leafs anything.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Interesting deal. It gives competition to the younger D man. The reward could be decent
Sign maybe a veteran #7 and we are set on defence

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad