Confirmed with Link: Leafs acquire Brennan Menell for a cond. 7th rd pick in 2022 [Upd 8/1: signed 1 yr/2 way contract]

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
AHL fodder for now ..
marlies more deals like this , their defense was extremly pathetic last year. lets be honest their forwards and goaltending sucks too lol

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
So this is very interesting to me because during Chris Johnston's recent appearance on SDP he mildly scoffed at the idea of Dermott getting traded.

It sounds to me like the current plan is to slot Dermott into Bogosian's slot and have Sandin takeover LD3 full time. Meaning you probably have Menell as the 7th D because he's not waiver exempt and I have to assume he'd get claimed. Also I doubt they're scratching Dermott if they just paid him 1.5x2. As much as Sandin-Menell sounds like a lot of fun.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
So this is very interesting to me because during Chris Johnston's recent appearance on SDP he mildly scoffed at the idea of Dermott getting traded.

It sounds to me like the current plan is to slot Dermott into Bogosian's slot and have Sandin takeover LD3 full time. Meaning you probably have Menell as the 7th D because he's not waiver exempt and I have to assume he'd get claimed. Also I doubt they're scratching Dermott if they just paid him 1.5x2. As much as Sandin-Menell sounds like a lot of fun.
Oh ok. Interesting thought. I don’t know this guy but if he is good enough for 7th thats great.

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015

Menell isn't waiver exempt, but sandin is. Sandin likely won't be on the team unless he outperforms someone in the top 4. Beating out dermott should not be the benchmark to make the team.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Doesn’t a 2 way deal mean he doesn’t have to pass through waivers? Or does it just mean different salaries and waivers has its own rules?
The latter. He just gets paid at a lower salary in the AHL, but if you send him down another team could claim him.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015

Johnson scoffs at anything that would require Dubas lifting a finger. You couldn't find a bigger Dubas shill if you tried.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

he also said the leafs were going to acquire a big name big potential player who didn’t play in the playoffs.

and that Matthews was going to be captain. He isn’t anywhere near infallible

Reactions: sxvnert

TDotMassive

Jul 13, 2018
6ix
This Menell fellow sound like the Leafs are trying to find this years KHL's version of Mikko Lehtonen.

& recent signing Kirill Semyonov the new Alexander Barabanov.
Except those players didn't have multiple AHL seasons under them...

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
I’d imagine the waivers risk is moderate with this player and this contract.
He’s got a chance to compete for 6/7.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->