Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Lebda trade tree lives on
Oh, it lives!

RpEEtkd.png

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
What....huh? Clarification please....

Lehner was traded for a 2nd, a nothing prospect, and a 3-rd rate backup goalie. Campbell cost more.

But fair enough, Campbell came with more control.

Reactions: kb

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Moore for a Clifford rental seems like a wash, leaving us with a 2nd+ 2/3 for Campbell.

Anyway, I don't want to belabor the point - I'm happy with Campbell as the backup and Lehner didn't make sense for us anyway.
I hear you. I like Campbell and Cliffy, they do more for the Leafs than Moore.

Reactions: Cobra777

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Farfetched idea.

So what's the alternatives?

Lost for ideas?
No awareness of the state of his team?
Truly believes in this group (basically meaning he isn't aware)?
Stubborn and wants to go down with the ship?

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
So what's the alternatives?

Lost for ideas?
No awareness of the state of his team?
Truly believes in this group (basically meaning he isn't aware)?
Stubborn and wants to go down with the ship?
Clearly, not the sophistry you are presenting. He is the GM and makes his own decisions. He does this regardless of our opinions on the matter like all GMs.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Clearly, not the sophistry you are presenting. He is the GM and makes his own decisions. He does this regardless of our opinions on the matter like all GMs.

He won't even make it to 2021. Rest assured.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
We are discussing organizational transactions and the use of outside of the box thinking to generate assets out of cash and cap, so it's not "free."
It did not cost the organization any hockey assets and it didn't have any negative organizational impact. From a fan perspective, it was free.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Wings fan in peace! I am puzzled by this move! Why would Toronto retain salary for only a 5th round pick, it doesn't make sense to me! Was this a slight favour for them taking Clarkson's contract or something, just seems weird!

Rogue Leader

Oct 12, 2019
Corellia
I know all this! However, why bother with such small stuff when the team NEEDS a MAJOR SHAKEUP!

Trading an underperforming, expensive player should have been the focus, not shuffling around cap space for 5th round picks.

A message to the players should have been fired across their lazy ass ship bow! Trade for Lehner, not a part of his stupid cap hit!

Andersen needs to be a solid 10 to 15 games in a row, not 1 good game, 1 bad game etc. Trade his ass for not being consistently good with 1 bad game ONCE IN A WHILE!

This team is underperforming while collecting premium salaries! Embarrassing performance after embarrassing performance and NOTHING CHANGES.

Free 5th round picks are nice when there aren't other MAJOR ISSUES TO ADDRESS.

JMHO.
Exactly this! So disappointed!

Icejoker

Sep 14, 2015
So they gave up a third round pick for a fifth and pay 1.1 M to Vegas to take Lehner ?

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
What exactly is your issue with a free 5th round pick?
Nothing wrong with it. In fact I'm sure there would be a lot of people here really upset that they didnt pay Marner 1.1mm less to get a whole 5th round pick to get us to a cup. That freed up capspace would have made all the difference at the beginning of the season.:sarcasm:

Reactions: Stamkos4life

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Wings fan in peace! I am puzzled by this move! Why would Toronto retain salary for only a 5th round pick, it doesn't make sense to me! Was this a slight favour for them taking Clarkson's contract or something, just seems weird!

I honestly see it as a goodwill gesture between GM’s and hopefully laying the groundwork for a bigger trade during the off-season.

Say what you will, but Dubas definitely has the networking thing down cold and that is how I see this move, courtesy between colleagues.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
The oiler's won the trade deadline day. And i hear edmonton is lovely this time of year.

The Oil may have done very well. It's nice to have a few obvious holes to fill and some relatively cheap options. Green or Athanasiou wouldnt have helped the Leafs. But the Oilers could go out in the first and those assets are mostly flushed so winning or not cant be decided now.

The west is so wide open it was smart to do the spending, same as Vegas. If the Blues get bumped off it's a nice path to the finals. I have to question the investment some of the eastern clubs made this year because Tampa, Boston, Washington are an ugly group of dance partners. Kind of like the Leafs own rental of JVR a couple of years ago. Deadline deals seem to fail 4 out of 5 times and that includes own rentals.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad