Confirmed with Link: Leafs Acquire a 5th pick and retain Lehner’s salary

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Wings fan in peace! I am puzzled by this move! Why would Toronto retain salary for only a 5th round pick, it doesn't make sense to me! Was this a slight favour for them taking Clarkson's contract or something, just seems weird!

Its a free pick for under 200k in real dollars.

If the Leafs were allowed to outright buy picks from other teams for cash the Leafs would likely so it all the time

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Wings fan in peace! I am puzzled by this move! Why would Toronto retain salary for only a 5th round pick, it doesn't make sense to me! Was this a slight favour for them taking Clarkson's contract or something, just seems weird!
You've got some good answers already, but basically this doesn't impact the Leafs cap because of our LTIR structure, so we bought a fifth rounder. Given the salary structure and the fact it doesn't cost much doesn't warrant much more than a depth pick.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Toronto trades some cap space for a 5th. HF Leafs fans complain.

Buffalo trades Scandella for a 4th, only to watch him get traded later for a 2nd and a 4th. No one bats an eye.

Center of the hockey universe.

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
Just add another player to the list who is no longer a Leaf

Horton 5.3M
Clarkson 5.25M
Kessel 1.2M,1.2M,1.2M
Lehner 1.1M

xxOCZMSxx

Jan 20, 2015
Oh, it lives!

RpEEtkd.png
I’ve never seen this before.
Adding a draft pick could continue this thing for generations to come!

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
Toronto trades some cap space for a 5th. HF Leafs fans complain.

Buffalo trades Scandella for a 4th, only to watch him get traded later for a 2nd and a 4th. No one bats an eye.

Center of the hockey universe.

So you have no idea why the Scandella difference was what it was?

They had to move him. And wanted to move his whole salary, early in the season. The Canadiens were likely the only team willing to take on his salary, and thus they only got a 4th rounder.

What Canadiens did was trade him LATER in the season, and RETAIN part of his salary.

Thus Scandella cost St Louis much more than a 4th rounder. But he also costs much, much less cap space + real money. Montreal lost money + cap space, but gained a 2nd.

Overpriced players always bring in a bigger price later in the season, when their cap hit will be smaller for the acquiring team.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
So you have no idea why the Scandella difference was what it was?

They had to move him. And wanted to move his whole salary, early in the season. The Canadiens were likely the only team willing to take on his salary, and thus they only got a 4th rounder.

What Canadiens did was trade him LATER in the season, and RETAIN part of his salary.

Thus Scandella cost St Louis much more than a 4th rounder. But he also costs much, much less cap space + real money. Montreal lost money + cap space, but gained a 2nd.

Overpriced players always bring in a bigger price later in the season, when their cap hit will be smaller for the acquiring team.

It was a single month later. It was a measly 20 games with Montreal.

And MTL retained 2 million. You think that is worth a 2nd rounder? Toronto got a 5th for retaining 1.1 on Lehner. So I don't buy that the retention made that big a difference

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
It was a single month later. It was a measly 20 games with Montreal.

And MTL retained 2 million. You think that is worth a 2nd rounder? Toronto got a 5th for retaining 1.1 on Lehner. So I don't buy that the retention made that big a difference

Toronto did not take on Lehner's salary in order to gain picks or prospects, they did it to block Carolina from getting Lehner. The prospect they sent away was enough to get that pick

They basically increased the price some West team was able to pay, thus preventing Carolina's offer from being enough to acquire him.

Scandella was part of the Canadiens for 47 days, which is exactly 25,27% of the 186-day salary-cap-season.

St Louis pays his salary for the remainer of the season, 48 days if he stays healthy

Thus the Canadiens cut Scandella's remaining cap hit by 49,47% by keeping him for 47 days, and they retained a further 50% of his salary, thus cutting his personal remaining cap hit for the Blues by 74,73%. The Blues have 0,02M$ left of their cap, which means they could have taken on only a maximum of 52% of the remaining Scandella cap hit at the time of the trade. Thus they would have not been able to do the trade without Mtl retaining 50% of his salary.

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
It's not a big deal or anything, but...Lehner is pretty much as good as Freddie, and he cost Vegas less than Campbell cost us.

But nice to get a 5th, hope we can do big things with it.

In retrospect, do all those liking this trade still like the trade? Are you as excited about the upcoming 5th rounder as Vegas is about their new playoff goalie?

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Well at least for a short time we do have a pretty good goaltender on our cap :laugh:.

It's fine. A pretty minor and unimportant move. But hey, it is something.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
It's not a big deal or anything, but...Lehner is pretty much as good as Freddie, and he cost Vegas less than Campbell cost us.

But nice to get a 5th, hope we can do big things with it.

Lehner was a half-year rental, Campbell had 2.5 years left.

If we trade Andersen at the TDL next year, this is probably what we can expect in return. If we trade him before the start of the season, we are likely looking at 2 2nds or even a late 1st in return.

Also, it cost Vegas a lot more than it cost us to acquire Campbell. We got Campbell and Clifford at 50% for 2 3rds and Moore. It cost Subban, Demin, a 2nd and a 5th to get Lehner. The 2nd is about as valuable as the 2 3rds, and Subban, Demin and a 5th > Moore.

Reactions: acrobaticgoalie

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
In retrospect, do all those liking this trade still like the trade? Are you as excited about the upcoming 5th rounder as Vegas is about their new playoff goalie?

I'm sorry but what was the uh, what was the alternative here? This is a trade we were only ever nominally a part of

This is like your buddy throwing you a fiver for a lift to work and then being mad he's enjoying his own paycheck. That's not something you were ever entitled to

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
I was thinking more like if we kept Lehner + Campbell for the rest of the year (or longer) we might have gone further against Columbus plus had a couple 2nds from trading Anderson last TDL, if he agreed.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I was thinking more like if we kept Lehner + Campbell for the rest of the year (or longer) we might have gone further against Columbus plus had a couple 2nds from trading Anderson last TDL.
Again - you have no idea what you're talking about. We didn't trade for Lehner and then flip him for a 5th. Is that actually what you think happened?

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
Again - you have no idea what you're talking about. We didn't trade for Lehner and then flip him for a 5th. Is that actually what you think happened?

I know it was a 3-way deal and complex but I guess I better do more reading if you are certain there was never a chance for Lehner to play a game for the Leafs.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Its a free pick for under 200k in real dollars.

If the Leafs were allowed to outright buy picks from other teams for cash the Leafs would likely so it all the time
Won’t that be something if the NHL allow transfer fees for players and draft picks. Franchises who is struggling with finance might actually welcome that.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Lou would have simply created Lehner island, and the league would have no choice but to let Lehner stay with the Leafs. He also would've picked up a 5th round pick for his troubles

Reactions: Morgs and 7even

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad