Confirmed with Link: Leafs Acquire a 5th pick and retain Lehner’s salary

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Won’t that be something if the NHL allow transfer fees for players and draft picks. Franchises who is struggling with finance might actually welcome that.

No, they would rather those rich teams pay them and give nothing in return, which is how it works right now.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
I know it was a 3-way deal and complex but I guess I better do more reading if you are certain there was never a chance for Lehner to play a game for the Leafs.

It wouldn't make sense for us to acquire Lehner without dealing Freddie...

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
No, they would rather those rich teams pay them and give nothing in return, which is how it works right now.
They are not looking at the bigger picture. The money they are receiving is just helping them to stay afloat. If there are transfer fees, they will be getting extra money.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Cap limit: ..................................................................$81,500,000

Projected Cap Hit: ....................................................$95,178,332

Estimated Salary Expenditure: ................................$113,849,167

.... retaining $1,100,000 million on Robin Lehner: Priceless.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Won’t that be something if the NHL allow transfer fees for players and draft picks. Franchises who is struggling with finance might actually welcome that.

They already have a take from the rich give to the poor system in place... Leafs pay millions every year to keep teams in the deep south a float.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
They already have a take from the rich give to the poor system in place... Leafs pay millions every year to keep teams in the deep south a float.
Our only hope is the cap gets softer. Otherwise this team is doomed. I can't see that ever happening.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Our only hope is the cap gets softer. Otherwise this team is doomed. I can't see that ever happening.

If that happens, I think we are bound to repeat the sins of our past by trying to buy our way out of a poor plan (Shanny Plan)

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
If that happens, I think we are bound to repeat the sins of our past by trying to buy our way out of a poor plan (Shanny Plan)

We don't have long until Matthews is gone. He returns to Arizona and in his first talk with the Media he likens his trip home to that of John Tavares coming back to Toronto.

Reactions: Bluelines

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
Matthews gets to be a hero and a superstar in Toronto in the winter provided amenities by a one of the most wealthy teams in the NHL that players could dream of. Then go home to Arizona in the summer and be left alone to live his life in relative anonymity. It's the best of both worlds why would he give that up to be on a budget team and forgotten in Arizona?

Reactions: The Podium and kb

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Matthews gets to be a hero and a superstar in Toronto in the winter provided amenities by a one of the most wealthy teams in the NHL that players could dream of. Then go home to Arizona in the summer and be left alone to live his life in relative anonymity. It's the best of both worlds why would he give that up to be on a budget team and forgotten in Arizona?

Seems like an end of the career type move, like a Spezza-type homecoming.

And not trying to be an asshole, but thats also holding the assumption that Arizona has a team 4 years from now. COVID hasnt been kind to teams, those operating at a deficit lost their biggest revenue stream and the US TV deal wont be what was predicted. I wouldnt be surprised if teams relocated/folded after all this. That isnt even exclusive to Arizona, I expect Carolina, Florida, Columbus, etc. to have some issues

Last edited:

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Didn't you "divorce" yourself from the Leafs? Why are you posting here? Or did you change your mind?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad