Leafs 4th. pick, 156th. overall is: Connor Brown - Forward RW

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
Can we not over hype this guy please?

Let him do his thing, then well see what he's got in the AHL.
Who's overhyping though? lol It sounds like most aren't giving him credit where its due and saying its because of other players.

TMLife*

Auston Matthews
Jun 16, 2010
Victoria, BC
thing is not only is he an overager in the OHL this year which usually gives you an advantage he's also playing with an overager aswell in Dane Fox whose currently on pace to be like the 5th player in OHL history to score 80 goals.

OMG bro read the thread, this is NOT his overage year.

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
Why do people beleive Conner Brown was left off of Team Canada at the WJC, without even an invite despite leading the OHL in scoring?

Because, as evident by Team Canada's play, Hockey Canada doesn't really know what they are doing at that stage. I don't know if he would have made the team or not, but to not even hold an evaluation camp was dumb.

Patience

Sep 8, 2013
Why do people beleive Conner Brown was left off of Team Canada at the WJC, without even an invite despite leading the OHL in scoring?

Is Max Domi still a prospect? Is Slater Koekkoek? Brendan Gaunce? Darnell Nurse?

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
im always wary of late round picks who do well, like these are incredible numbers but we have seen that before. U can get away with some flaws in ur game at the OHL level but u cant at the NHL level... seems like a boom-bust type of guy imo Verhague>Brown (but i just wanna say i have never seen either live)

Bravid Nonahan

carlylol = القسوة
Mar 22, 2009
أو&#1585
I have seen Brown play twice...once live at the rookie tourney and another time on TV. He strikes me as a very shifty player, almost like a Kris Versteeg. I think he might be able to survive in the NHL.

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
Guys, Brown is only effective because he's on a line with the second coming of Crosby. Brown won't make it to the nhl unless he has McDavid centering him his entire career.

Lets get McDavid

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Because, as evident by Team Canada's play, Hockey Canada doesn't really know what they are doing at that stage. I don't know if he would have made the team or not, but to not even hold an evaluation camp was dumb.

Its really because of the flaws within his game, his skating ability essentially at the heart of it.

Center Ice Scrum*

Aug 20, 2010
The World Wide Web
I love how people base an opinion on Brown's future without even having watched many (if any of his games). I guess this is the internet after all.

Things that are wrong in this thread:
1. Connor Brown is NOT an overager. He just turned 20 a few days ago and this is only his 3rd season in the OHL. OVERAGERS are those who are playing in 5th year of the OHL OR are at the age of 20 going into the START OF THE SEASON.

2. He does not play with McDavid. He plays with Fox and Gaunce. GAUNCE is not an all-star talent. He's projected to be a 3rd line center (ask Nucks fans if you feel the need). Dane Fox is a recently signed UFA (again by the Nucks) who is projected to be a 2-3 line tweener if he ever makes it to the show. CONNOR BROWN IS THE HEART OF THAT LINE. He's the main disher. He leads the rush up the ice almost every possession. Gaunce is the Tyler Bozak of that line, he provides the defensive presence.

3. Connor Brown's speed and agility has improved by leaps and bounds. If a player like David Clarkson can hack it out in the NHL playing a pseudo offensive role..Brown should have no issues with his speed.

4. Connor's size is/ was the biggest issue at the draft (both OHL and NHL). As a few posters here posted before, he was around 5'6, 140 lbs when he was drafted out to the O. But they drafted Brown because of his smarts and his awareness on the ice. Brown was given captaincy in his 2nd season in the O (McKegg was captain during Brown's first year). How many undersized 13th round OHL players become captains in their 2nd year?

5. For those who watch Brown play, you would note that he is a dream player from a team perspective. This kid plays a huge role on the PK, PP, last minutes, first minutes, etc. He's given the most important ice time and has full trust of the Erie coaching staff. He's not a one dimensional plug who focuses only on scoring.

6. Brown's biggest attributes besides his smarts and shifty play on the ice is his ability to shoot. This kid has a hell of a shot but doesn't use it as much because he prefers to dish it to his team-mates for higher % scoring chances.

The player that I believe Brown projects as is a much more harder working version of Kyle Wellwood. Which is a complement to him because Wellwood was one hell of a player when he was with the Leafs. His work ethic was always questioned but that won't be the issue with Brown. I think he'll make it to the NHL one day and be quite an effective player. His hard work and smarts are just too great for a player like him not to make the show.

I know Leafs nation gets a bad rap sometimes for overhyping their players and what not but honestly Brown is one of the few players that deserve recognition. This kid has flown under the radar his whole career much like Josh Leivo but it wouldn't surprise me what so ever if both these kids dominated in the Blue and White in the big leagues. Home grown talents, smart hard working kids with a chip on their shoulder to prove everyone wrong. When the Leafs staff say that they put a high premium on character, these are the kids they talk about. These kids are built to win. I guess most can't see that.

You know Dave Bolland was a 50+ goal/ 100+ point scorer in juniors? Now 90% of the fanbase is waiting for him to return like he's the saviour. Bolland isn't fast or "big" but he's smart and tough as nails. He's an effective player in the NHL and far from being a leader in points. Sometimes it's nice to have expectations of players no matter what round they were drafted. Leivo, Brown, D'Amigo, Percy, Rielly, Gardiner are the future of this franchise.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Solid write up. Thanks for posting. I'd add Andreas Johnson and Carter Verhaeghe to the list of kids who project as the future of our franchise though :P

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Is Max Domi still a prospect? Is Slater Koekkoek? Brendan Gaunce? Darnell Nurse?

all those plus matt fin .......i really think sutter thought he was gonna get reilly ....hockey canada shouldve had a mini camp .....or dont do an oreintation camp at all and select the best players as of december .....koekoek may have been the most dominant junior aged defenseman in canada at the time of the tourney .....and nurse wouldve been at worst the number 5 guy and top penaly killer

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Brown's stats are very intriguing, averaging over 2 points per game. Can't recall a Leafs prospect in the past 2 decades that has done this since Ernie Godden.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
I love how people base an opinion on Brown's future without even having watched many (if any of his games). I guess this is the internet after all.

Things that are wrong in this thread:
1. Connor Brown is NOT an overager. He just turned 20 a few days ago and this is only his 3rd season in the OHL. OVERAGERS are those who are playing in 5th year of the OHL OR are at the age of 20 going into the START OF THE SEASON.

2. He does not play with McDavid. He plays with Fox and Gaunce. GAUNCE is not an all-star talent. He's projected to be a 3rd line center (ask Nucks fans if you feel the need). Dane Fox is a recently signed UFA (again by the Nucks) who is projected to be a 2-3 line tweener if he ever makes it to the show. CONNOR BROWN IS THE HEART OF THAT LINE. He's the main disher. He leads the rush up the ice almost every possession. Gaunce is the Tyler Bozak of that line, he provides the defensive presence.

3. Connor Brown's speed and agility has improved by leaps and bounds. If a player like David Clarkson can hack it out in the NHL playing a pseudo offensive role..Brown should have no issues with his speed.

4. Connor's size is/ was the biggest issue at the draft (both OHL and NHL). As a few posters here posted before, he was around 5'6, 140 lbs when he was drafted out to the O. But they drafted Brown because of his smarts and his awareness on the ice. Brown was given captaincy in his 2nd season in the O (McKegg was captain during Brown's first year). How many undersized 13th round OHL players become captains in their 2nd year?

5. For those who watch Brown play, you would note that he is a dream player from a team perspective. This kid plays a huge role on the PK, PP, last minutes, first minutes, etc. He's given the most important ice time and has full trust of the Erie coaching staff. He's not a one dimensional plug who focuses only on scoring.

6. Brown's biggest attributes besides his smarts and shifty play on the ice is his ability to shoot. This kid has a hell of a shot but doesn't use it as much because he prefers to dish it to his team-mates for higher % scoring chances.

The player that I believe Brown projects as is a much more harder working version of Kyle Wellwood. Which is a complement to him because Wellwood was one hell of a player when he was with the Leafs. His work ethic was always questioned but that won't be the issue with Brown. I think he'll make it to the NHL one day and be quite an effective player. His hard work and smarts are just too great for a player like him not to make the show.

I know Leafs nation gets a bad rap sometimes for overhyping their players and what not but honestly Brown is one of the few players that deserve recognition. This kid has flown under the radar his whole career much like Josh Leivo but it wouldn't surprise me what so ever if both these kids dominated in the Blue and White in the big leagues. Home grown talents, smart hard working kids with a chip on their shoulder to prove everyone wrong. When the Leafs staff say that they put a high premium on character, these are the kids they talk about. These kids are built to win. I guess most can't see that.

You know Dave Bolland was a 50+ goal/ 100+ point scorer in juniors? Now 90% of the fanbase is waiting for him to return like he's the saviour. Bolland isn't fast or "big" but he's smart and tough as nails. He's an effective player in the NHL and far from being a leader in points. Sometimes it's nice to have expectations of players no matter what round they were drafted. Leivo, Brown, D'Amigo, Percy, Rielly, Gardiner are the future of this franchise.
Hmm interesting. Someone who watches junior hockey before posting about it.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
-
Brown's stats are very intriguing, averaging over 2 points per game. Can't recall a Leafs prospect in the past 2 decades that has done this since Ernie Godden.

I've made that comparison myself earlier in the thread. I remember following Godden tear up the OHL back in the 1980's just like Brown is now. The difference between Godden and Brown was however that Ernie was a pest and agitator and not afraid to get his nose dirty .. He often recorded over 100 pims in the CHL and AHL. It was this component that I thought gave him a chance at the NHL level despite his skating and size.

However the last Leaf prospect is likely Vincent Damphousse who did it with Laval in 1985-86 with 155 points in 69 games to average 2 points per game in the CHL. But he was selected #6 overall in his draft year.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad