Leafs 4th. pick, 156th. overall is: Connor Brown - Forward RW

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
-72 this year haha. Do not be scared about that, he was on the Erie Otters. Mckegg was a -35 or something on them after 35 or so games before he got traded to London. Erie really really sucked this year.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
From OHLProspects: http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/

45. Connor Brown - F - Erie Otters
Brown put up a ton of points this year and was really one of Erie's only bright spots offensively. Yet, I found myself having a tough time getting a read on him. There were a couple of things I noticed though. For one, his skating needs to improve. It seemed like he lacked that overall explosiveness in his game. Secondly, as you can assume with a -72 rating, his play away from the puck needs improving. I found him to be too prone to standing around watching things unfold. Which is interesting considering his brother was former Spitfire and General Jeff Brown, who was probably the exact opposite as a player. What Brown does possess is offensive skill. He's kind of one of those guys who you don't really notice until he jumps on a loose puck and puts one in the back of the net. This definitely points to his hockey sense being a strength. Playing in his first year in the league, what he did offensively was quite impressive. Everything else about his game is very raw, but with good coaching and dedication away from the rink on strength training, could make him a very interesting gamble.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
Erie had 169 goals for, 338 against. Literally twice as many against as for. Brown was in on 23% of their goals, not bad.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/juniorho...or-brown-erie-otters?urn=juniorhockey,wp11055

2. Whom in the NHL do you watch closely and think, "I need to play like him to get to The Show" or "I see what he did there, I need to do that?"

"Definitely a guy like [Philadelphia Flyers centre] Claude Giroux. Obviously, he's on another level from me right now. I like to model after [Chicago Blackhawks star] Patrick Kane. We're both similar sizes. I like to model my game after them but I also have to be more defensive-minded, because obviously those guys are ridiculous offensively."

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Can anyone explain his GBR links? Born in London according to NHL.com? Could he actually play for Great Britain or is it just a place he was born?

Heatleys Eye

Feb 23, 2010
4. Your parents are each in the University of Western Ontario's sports hall of fame (father Dan for hockey; mother Anne for cross-country and athletics). What did each parent in particular give you, as a competitor?

"My dad played high-level hockey. He tried out for the Winnipeg Jets after he played at Western and then went over to Europe. He was really competitive and a skill player. My mom, she gave me a lot of my competitiveness and my good endurance."

Having that pedigree of two parents like that is always a plus - they will helpful in his development in addition to both teams obviously...Ftorek is a good coach for him to have down there

Grandpabuzz

Oct 13, 2003
Dallas, Texas
This is the only pick I like that the Leafs made in this draft. I would of been happy if he was picked in the 2nd round. He played on a really bad team but still managed to do fairly well.

Uncle Slick

Mar 1, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Another GTHL kid.
His father Dan is a better coach than a recruiter, and that's meant as a compliment because a lot of GTHL coaches are recruiters, poaching players rather than developing players. I'm not saying that Connor played AAA because his father coached the team as Connor was a AAA player, but just not an elite one.

I think he'll be a good minor pro, he knows what to do, especially when surrounded with better, more skilled players.

My take is you can't coach speed or skill and this kid has neither of the high end elite like stuff, but he's no quitter and he'll compete giving all he's got, every shift.

I hope Connor proves me wrong.

My Sweet Shadow

Sep 5, 2008
Sioux Lookout, ON
Hopefully Erie either improves or ships Brown to a better team; it'd be nice to see what the kid could do on a good team.

Anyways, he seems like a good pick for the 5th round.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Hopefully Erie either improves or ships Brown to a better team; it'd be nice to see what the kid could do on a good team.

Anyways, he seems like a good pick for the 5th round.

Brown seems like an interesting pick. Has one year of OHL experience, where he led his terrible team in points which is a great sign. This was something many were hoping out of Sondre Olden. Given the year Erie had, I wonder how much of his coaching he took to heart? Or if he just sort of let things go one ear and out the other because the team was so horrible. There were a lot of knocks on his game aside from his overall offensive skills - seems to have smarts offensively, but not 'dynamic'.

Next season, Erie will have their top pick in Connor David playing which should instantly change their fortunes. A full year with Dane Fox (acquired from London) should help the offense and a healthy season of Adam Pelech should also be a nice addition. They also had a few quality 95s who are expected to make bigger strides next season. Naturally, they should be better - I mean, even if you try it would probably be hard to duplicate they season they had, but you never know!

Another GTHL kid.
His father Dan is a better coach than a recruiter, and that's meant as a compliment because a lot of GTHL coaches are recruiters, poaching players rather than developing players. I'm not saying that Connor played AAA because his father coached the team as Connor was a AAA player, but just not an elite one.

I think he'll be a good minor pro, he knows what to do, especially when surrounded with better, more skilled players.

My take is you can't coach speed or skill and this kid has neither of the high end elite like stuff, but he's no quitter and he'll compete giving all he's got, every shift.

I hope Connor proves me wrong.

How big are his parents? I ask because he's on the smaller side right now, but I remember his brother in Windsor being a good size at 6'0-6'1 200lbs his last year as an OA. So maybe he has some growing to do still (in terms of height).

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
Im more than satisfied with this selection. A year or two with Connor McDavid will be fantastic for his development. He produced well without any other premiere offensive player. I saw him play a while back when watching Mckegg play the Guelph Storm. To be completely honest, i didn't notice him at all. I had taken note in him as a prospect. I was checking up on Erie's season in review and im pretty sure Brown was named their top rookie.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
Im more than satisfied with this selection. A year or two with Connor McDavid will be fantastic for his development. He produced well without any other premiere offensive player. I saw him play a while back when watching Mckegg play the Guelph Storm. To be completely honest, i didn't notice him at all. I had taken note in him as a prospect. I was checking up on Erie's season in review and im pretty sure Brown was named their top rookie.

Agreed! This is a smart pick for the Leafs. Playing with a potential franchise player in McDavid in Junior can only be a good thing for this kid.

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
Another big night for brown. 2 goals, 2 assists, 4 points.
Currently:
6gp \ 6G \ 7A \ 13Pts \ +1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad