Leafs 4th. pick, 156th. overall is: Connor Brown - Forward RW

robdicks

Aug 10, 2008
Welland ON
Year four production in juniors is irrelevant. He's playing against competition 2-3 years younger.

Agreed. Used to have seasons with the IceDogs. Watched Luca Caputi play when everyone thought he was Crosby's future winger. A 111 point, 51 goal season will do that for ya.

Guys like this happen every year. Junior is easier as you get older, and production goes up. Brown is playing with Connor McDavid.

With that being said, production isn't a bad thing. Just because there is a laundry list of guys who did nothing after their incredibly OHL season, doesn't mean Connor Brown can't be a solid pro. I just wish the fans on this website would lower their expectations.

sniper81

Oct 30, 2009
toronto
Agreed. Used to have seasons with the IceDogs. Watched Luca Caputi play when everyone thought he was Crosby's future winger. A 111 point, 51 goal season will do that for ya.

Guys like this happen every year. Junior is easier as you get older, and production goes up. Brown is playing with Connor McDavid.

With that being said, production isn't a bad thing. Just because there is a laundry list of guys who did nothing after their incredibly OHL season, doesn't mean Connor Brown can't be a solid pro. I just wish the fans on this website would lower their expectations.
He hasn't played with mcdavid since they traded for Gaunce, plays with him on the power play only.

ScJeff

Jun 15, 2010
He hasn't played with mcdavid since they traded for Gaunce, plays with him on the power play only.

Even before then he has primarily played with Dane Fox and Andre Burakovsky. McDavid has only played with him much on the PP and rarely on ES shifts.

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
you know there is no rule against the leafs finding a hidden gem.. it does happen from time to time.. a late round superstar

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
you know there is no rule against the leafs finding a hidden gem.. it does happen from time to time.. a late round superstar

definitely overdue for one. However I'm gonna keep a calm approach to this I'll see how performs in the AHL before anything I hope to god he succeeds because we definitely needs it.

robdicks

Aug 10, 2008
Welland ON

Even before then he has primarily played with Dane Fox and Andre Burakovsky. McDavid has only played with him much on the PP and rarely on ES shifts.

Well I'm not going to pretend to know much about the kid aside from statistics. I've never seen him play. I know it's possible that the Leafs found a late round superstar and that would be outstanding obviously.

However, Luca Caputi played with Michael Swift and Andrew Merret. Two guys that a lot of people on here probably have never heard of.

I'm not going to get excited until I see him play with men. I think people on here should do the same. Lord knows Toronto is a tough enough market to play in as is.

Hero

Uncle Leo
Jul 2, 2009
heropuck.wordpress.com
2.05 ppg. Doing well.

Again, only 4 players in the NHL weigh less than him. Need's to add 25lbs with out throwing off his game if he wants to make the NHL.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
In 1980-81 Godden lead the OHL in goals and finished 2nd in points and was a former Leaf draft.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/top_league.php?lid=ohl1989&sid=1981&leaguenm=OHL

As someone that has seen both these players play as OHLers one can draw similarities as Brown reminds me of Godden.
....It's over 30 years ago, I think the similarities are rather moot at this point. Times changed big time and seeing as you're saying you seen both, you should know that. Comparing something from 30 years ago to today is just silly.

Its because Connor Brown had barely an impact in his draft year, or the season after that, and then suddenly he's doing well. Dominating in your draft year+2 isn't uncommon. He's also on a line with "The Next One" so that diminishes his contributions a little bit.

He's basically Toronto's Marc Stone. Overhyped scoring junior player who will ultimately be a blip on the radar. He could also be Greg McKegg 2.0 if you are unfamiliar with what Sen's fans went through like a year and a half ago.
Connor Brown has been consistent at getting over 25 goals though. The season after he was drafted he had 69 points in 63 games, that isn't that bad. I hve yet to see people overhype him at all. People are saying he's playing well, not saying he's the 2nd coming of Gretzky. There are just too many people out there already shutting this guy down. Its absurd. Brett McLean had 100 points in his draft year, is he lighting up the NHL? There are exceptions to every rule but theres no sense in just shutting down a guy for no reason

mikebel111*

Its because Connor Brown had barely an impact in his draft year, or the season after that, and then suddenly he's doing well. Dominating in your draft year+2 isn't uncommon. He's also on a line with "The Next One" so that diminishes his contributions a little bit.

He's basically Toronto's Marc Stone. Overhyped scoring junior player who will ultimately be a blip on the radar. He could also be Greg McKegg 2.0 if you are unfamiliar with what Sen's fans went through like a year and a half ago.

He isnt on a line with Mcdavid. Even last season. Coach split them up and he still produced. This year is no different

mikebel111*

His skill is great but has an amazing work ethic and attitude. One of the things that will help him in the future in order to get to the NHL

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
....It's over 30 years ago, I think the similarities are rather moot at this point. Times changed big time and seeing as you're saying you seen both, you should know that. Comparing something from 30 years ago to today is just silly.

Connor Brown has been consistent at getting over 25 goals though. The season after he was drafted he had 69 points in 63 games, that isn't that bad. I hve yet to see people overhype him at all. People are saying he's playing well, not saying he's the 2nd coming of Gretzky. There are just too many people out there already shutting this guy down. Its absurd. Brett McLean had 100 points in his draft year, is he lighting up the NHL? There are exceptions to every rule but theres no sense in just shutting down a guy for no reason

i still see ernie godden driving truck in windsor ......i think with todays rules he couldve played in the NHL ...but his problem was he took on even tough guys ....he actually reminded me a bit of kadri hislast year i london ...a real SOB to play against ......godden only knew one way to the net .....straight .......87 goals came the hard way ....conor brown is a project ......like robbie brown was ......if he skates well enuff to keep up he ll play .....if his skating is limited he ll be a minor leaguer

WeWantACup

Oct 15, 2011
Toronto
www.wewantacup.com
Where Connor Brown is at and where he really fits

Scott Wheeler
01/15/2014
Every once and awhile, there’s an anomaly in junior hockey, as a player nobody might have expected to dominate does so in dramatic fashion, a late pick or undrafted player grabbing their respective CHL league by the horns and not looking back.

read more, click here

connor_brown%202.jpg

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Those late round steals usually need to jump through a few hurdles before we really know what they are. For Brown, the OHL stats compiling is a great first step but he was drafted two years ago, so it's not that amazing.

What he'll need to do is grab a hold of a top six scoring job in the AHL next season, keep producing (like Greg McKegg hasn't) and start earning those call-ups in a year and a half or two.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Who is that guy that flanked Crosby in junior and put up amazing stats?

Oh yeah everyone forgot his name.

I'll wait to see if Brown can even score in the AHL before getting excited about him.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
Those late round steals usually need to jump through a few hurdles before we really know what they are. For Brown, the OHL stats compiling is a great first step but he was drafted two years ago, so it's not that amazing.

What he'll need to do is grab a hold of a top six scoring job in the AHL next season, keep producing (like Greg McKegg hasn't) and start earning those call-ups in a year and a half or two.
His draft year stats aren't that awful though. He's put up better numbers in his draft year than some of the guys that went in the first round. I know you can't really compare, seeing as there are multiple ways to compare players but the numbers aren't bad

Brown(156th) - 25 goals , 28 assists 53 points in 68 games
Faksa(13th) - 29 goals , 38 assists , 67 points in 62 games
Wilson(16th) - 9 goals , 18 assists, 27 points in 49 games
Laughton(20th) - 21 goals, 32 assists, 53 points in 64 games
Gaunce(26th) - 28 goals , 40 assists , 68 points in 68 games

Not comparing skill or potential because IDK but point wise, he's not that bad for a 6th rounder

sniper81

Oct 30, 2009
toronto

I'll wait to see if Brown can even score in the AHL before getting excited about him.

Again, he's not on mcdavids line. Power play is the only time they are on the ice together

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Dany Roussin was Crosby's winger in QMJHL.

Brown is having a great year statistically, but he is 20 and not very big nor that strong a skater and he does play with a potential generational talent in McDavid.

Time will tell if he amounts to anything, but the NHL is all about skating ability nowadays and its not a strength of Brown unfortunately.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Geez, for a moment there I thought had made a really good late round selection.

Thanks for bringing me back down to earth guys.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Geez, for a moment there I thought had made a really good late round selection.

Thanks for bringing me back down to earth guys.

All optimism must be immediately squashed. It's in the Realists handbook.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
What's the league wide % of 6th rounders making the NHL < 5% ?

What is the league wide % of 6th rounder making an impact at the NHL level < 1%?

Anyone playing the odds here? Set the optimism meter accordingly.

Is always exciting to have high scoring junior players as it keeps hope alive. But did anyone notice that the highest scoring player in the OHL was not even invited to tryout for Canada at the WJC?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad