Leafs 27th in PP % since Nov 30

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Talent isn't the issue. they don't move enough, and they use the same plays too much.

you have to draw guys by moving with the puck. you have to put yourself in a position where you're really using the extra man you have on the ice, forcing the opponent eventually into a 2 on 1 situation and/or a good chance on goal.

overall, we're too static.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Leafs do not have a threat of scoring from a distance. Hence teams simply clog the front of the net and block Leaf passes. Has any PKer hobbled off the ice after blocking a Rielly, Marner, Gardiner, or Nylander muffin shot ?

Reactions: dsred

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
We need to stop deferring to Mitch as well. Matthews and Reilly are also capable of gaining the zone effectively, this constant pre-occupation with ensuring we get the puck back to Marner throws off our rhythm sometimes. Yes Marner should take the puck in, but if it isn't there, just let the other studs bring it in, they know what they're doing too. Too much deference to Marner on the PP.

Reactions: Sypher04

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
I’d like to see more plays from behind the net to the front. I think it was Ryan Stimson that’s fine some research on it and a completed passed from behind the net increases sh% a crazy amount because defenders have to face the net to block the pass, and then turn around to block the shot

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Its nothing to do with the setup, skill level, other teams "figuring us out", one timers or lack thereof or anything else like that.

Their playing lazy, no intensity, no effort at all. It's kind of remarkable really, even the guy with the puck just coasts around. One of the big guys needs to take a seat on the pp for a few games to try and wake them up.

Reactions: dsred

Melo Meds

Jul 30, 2018
Hard to win in the playoffs with an ice cold PP. With games being so close it can be a difference maker

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Leafs do not have a threat of scoring from a distance. Hence teams simply clog the front of the net and block Leaf passes. Has any PKer hobbled off the ice after blocking a Rielly, Marner, Gardiner, or Nylander muffin shot ?
Fyi clogging up the front of the net neutralizes the point shot too and yes I've seen players limpnoff the ice from blocking shots from one of our defensemen, maybe it doesn't happen every shift, but that's good as that means our D are getting the pucks through or not forcing it.
Nothing worse than when your shot is blocked and you're standing flat footed and the puck bounces behind you and the opposition now has 2 steps on you for the breakaway.
The heavy one timer is not as useful as it once was with the way players block shots now.
Reverse questions; how many bombs did Weber take last night and how many of our players hobbled off from his shot?

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
It's not really a personnel issue, it's a systems issue. We give the puck to zone entry wizards, and they have to go through a wall to get in. Nobody helps open up seams. A lot of teams are predictable in how they want to move the puck in and who does it, but most teams don't just chill out at the blue line waiting for that guy to do something.

Once we are set up, we do better. Don't get much scoring, but the chances are there. But we are still very stationary, very predictable, and as I've said before, our schemes seem to be to force very difficult plays and hope that the superior technical ability of our guys wins through.

I kind of liked Muzzin on our PP. He's not the most creative player, or the best puck handler, but he moves the puck on one touch and his passes were hard and on tape. Just the speed in which he made plays twice opened up room for Nylander to walk in with the short side open for a snipe.

Hard to win in the playoffs with an ice cold PP. With games being so close it can be a difference maker
That's an interesting thing. I've heard so many times how even strength is more important than PP in the playoffs when the penalties are harder to get, but every winner in recent history has had a smoking hot PP. I think most of the runner-ups too.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto

yeah this has been largely missing from their 5 on 5 arsenal as well.

without a serious point threat to keep defenders honest, they can often ignore the high guy and concentrate on stopping the Leafs cross ice plays.

the other thing is, teams know our tendencies as well, and one of those is a reliance on the softer shot/deflection play which we overuse IMO.

Muzzin can definitely shoot it. it's a start.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
The important thing is versatility. if all you do is the silent wrister it's not as effective, as we see from the results.

No idea what you're talking about with your first point, but having a point threat would definitely give the Leafs more room to operate. I don't see how you can argue that.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
If you watch Washington or Boston, their big shooters are getting open looks.

The fact that Marner has a below average shot and is pretty much one dimensional allows the D to collapse and not be as spread out.

I would try getting JT Marner and Matthews in a cycle and put Goat in front of the net to screen.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
They've pretty much relied on Marner's pass towards the net in hopes for a deflection the entire year.

I think Kadri is completely redundant on the PP. Perhaps we should bring in Nylander on the 1st unit.

mallory67

Jul 2, 2015
North Carolina
Talent isn't the issue. they don't move enough, and they use the same plays too much.

you have to draw guys by moving with the puck. you have to put yourself in a position where you're really using the extra man you have on the ice, forcing the opponent eventually into a 2 on 1 situation and/or a good chance on goal.

overall, we're too static.

Bingo. They are very predictably feeding the right side. Give it to Marner and hope for a miracle pass.
They need to get all 5 guys involved and move that puck at high speed.
Let Matthews handle it a bit more.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
When the hell is the PP getting tuned up in practice.

Last year Andersen called out the team when they were ****ing around...two big pieces were moved out in Bozak and JVR.

What the hell is going on?

Frustrating to watch. Everyone is scared to skate the puck in. Thats a coaching demand and thats the bottom line. Its terrible and its the coaching demands causing it and its on the coaching. ;)

Rogue

Jun 21, 2017
Which assistant coach is in charge of the PP?
I think it's time for a change!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad