Leafs 27th in PP % since Nov 30

Jackson14

Feb 23, 2013
Put Muzzin out there with Rielly and kick Kadri off.

Teams would have to respect Muzzins slapper, Rielly can do his quick wrister on net, Matthews would be a little more open for his snipes because teams respecting Muzzin, Marners slap pass thing thrown in also.

They need more options as right now it's all Marner throwing muffins on net.

Reactions: dsred and socko

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Put Muzzin out there with Rielly and kick Kadri off.

Teams would have to respect Muzzins slapper, Rielly can do his quick wrister on net, Matthews would be a little more open for his snipes because teams respecting Muzzin, Marners slap pass thing thrown in also.

They need more options as right now it's all Marner throwing muffins on net.
That's a good plan, I also think they need to move JT to the front of the net from the side of the net. JVR played in the front of the net and was far more effective than JT has been. I think JT has the skills but he needs to position himself better.

Thread The Needle

I have no strong feelings one way or the other.
Nov 28, 2016
Detroit
It's stupid that just because the team is winning games, some seriously inept personnel get incredible job security.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
t depends who's blasting it. If it's Burns (he uses clappers and wristers) or Subban blasting it from the point it's pretty effective. It's still a fine tool on the PP IMO granted you have the correct personnel.

A one-timer from the circle is a terrific tool though, and it's what our PP needs. This whole madness of having everybody operate from their strong-side is just stupid, it's so easy to defend against. Why the **** is our coaching staff still doing this?
Don't disagree at all. But those guys are pretty rare. And yeah, we really need to look at changing the way our PP operates.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Starting from 0:06, Babcock says: "Ok well **** me, then. I'm ****ing tired of this ****. I'm tired of this ****."
We all are. Fix the strategy or change the personel. Not going to fix itself. I'm open to ANY changes

Reactions: Moonman

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
0/4 tonight so far if we don't win, the PP cost us a win.

Someone getting fired soon.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Babs needs to give the team a proper motivational speech to turn this ship around.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
We all are. Fix the strategy or change the personel. Not going to fix itself. I'm open to ANY changes

PP1
LW: Marner
C: Tavares
RW: Matthews (One timer)
LD: Rielly
RD: Muzzin

PP2
LW: Kap
C: Kadri
RW: Johnsson
4F: Nylander
5F: Marner (full two minutes)

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
PP1
LW: Marner
C: Tavares
RW: Matthews (One timer)
LD: Rielly
RD: Muzzin

PP2
LW: Kap
C: Kadri
RW: Johnsson
4F: Nylander
5F: Marner (full two minutes)
you can try but Marner cant be playing the PK as well or you have lost your first line

Mar 26, 2010
This PP has reached an all new low. What the heck is going on?

Leafling

Oct 24, 2015
Here are the problems with the #1 PP unit as I see it:

1. Marner and Rielly are the only ones moving the puck, or moving in general. They're too stationary.

2. Puck movement mainly works through a triangle of Rielly, Marner, Matthews. Predictable set-ups.

3. Rielly isn't a threat to score from the point and never shoots, which allows the PK to collapse and focus primarily on guarding Matthews and Marner.

4. As Matthews is mainly the target man, PKers have merely to close him off. Marner does the best he can but ultimately can only look to pass to a covered Matthews, feed it down low to Tavares, or shoot into traffic.

5. Tavares is wasted down low. Good hands in front of the net, but needs to be in a position where he's more involved.

6. Kadri does literally nothing but stand in the middle of the ice the majority of the time.

Almost every powerplay is Rielly, Marner, and Matthews playing catch along the outside with Marner eventually trying to thread a pass through the eye of the needle to Matthews or Tavares. Matthews is always covered and Tavares is usually in too tight to do much with the puck. The second unit at least seems to have a lot more movement when they get set-up.

This!

Has been said a million times already this year. Still can't believe why they have such strict roles assigned when they all can pretty much handle the puck and shoot. It's almost like watching a replay every game.

It's funny how when occasionally the formation collapses or gets shuffled around, the unit becomes much better. There is too much skill on that unit to be constrained by designated roles.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
This is Hiller’s 5th year as the main PP coach (1 with the Red Wings, and his 4th with the Leafs). 3 of those seasons his PPs have been top 2 in the league, so clearly he’s had success in the past. But our PP is indeed crazy bad this year (other than the start of the season), especially given our MASSIVE amount of talent. If Hiller can’t figure out a way to turn it around soon (next 5-10 games), we should let him go so the guys have time to learn a new system before the playoffs.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
That's a good plan, I also think they need to move JT to the front of the net from the side of the net. JVR played in the front of the net and was far more effective than JT has been. I think JT has the skills but he needs to position himself better.

What was JT's role on the Islanders? Was he the net front guy or was he the puck distributor?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
This PP has reached an all new low. What the heck is going on?

They clearly need to stop running three centermen out on the powerplay. Just dumb it down and spread around the talent a little bit. Use Muzzin more as a point shot (which isn't a big tool) and maybe see if Hyman can be a net front guy. Cause we don't have that, just Kadri and Tavares getting in each other's way.

Reactions: KIWILEAFFAN

ElbowLander

Jan 12, 2018
Switch marner and Nylander. Makes the second unit stronger and gives you another shooter. Right now nobody respects Marner. Heck switch kadri and marner. Marner is so predictable

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I don't get it. They still look dangerous, they're still getting consistent man-advantage goal mouth scrambles. They're just not going in. You give the puck to a combination of Matthews/Kadri/Tavares within 3 feet of the crease, you'd think one of them gets it in at least a quarter of the time.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
And a .500 record since nylander came back. Or near .500. Not too good.
He's kryptonite you guys better trade him :naughty:. Seriously what has happened to team since he's arrived? Has there been any other changes?? Was the team just over achieving before? I'm kinda shocked to be honest I expect them to be much better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->