Leafs 27th in PP % since Nov 30

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
If you look at the top PP teams, they all have multiple shooters. The Leafs have two of the best, JT and AM, but only AM is in a position to shoot.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
They've pretty much relied on Marner's pass towards the net in hopes for a deflection the entire year.

I think Kadri is completely redundant on the PP. Perhaps we should bring in Nylander on the 1st unit.
Yeah you play your best players, something Babcock doesn’t do enough

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
The big blast from the point is one of the least effective tools on the PP. The most effective shot selection from the point nowadays is the silent one, the wrister that is aimed to get through traffic. That's something we can do well.
It depends who's blasting it. If it's Burns (he uses clappers and wristers) or Subban blasting it from the point it's pretty effective. It's still a fine tool on the PP IMO granted you have the correct personnel.

A one-timer from the circle is a terrific tool though, and it's what our PP needs. This whole madness of having everybody operate from their strong-side is just stupid, it's so easy to defend against. Why the f*** is our coaching staff still doing this?

OEL to name one.
The big one timer is a dying breed
Absolutely is not.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Their PP is atrocious but he’s certainly a weapon.
SJ utilizes Burns’ shot as a part of their PP, which any coach would.
I'm not saying it's not a weapon. I'm saying the efficiency of it has severely dropped over the years.
The way players play now have really taken a toll on the hard slap shot from the point.
Think of franson. He was effective on the pp because he got his shot through a lot. The one timer slapper takes too long and is read and neutralized easier.

Rogue

Jun 21, 2017
Jim Hiller. Babcock was yelling at him last night
Thanks my friend!
This is very good news! When you make Babcock angry - he always holds a grudge.
Like that guy (Leivo?) that he kept in the press box all year.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
The big blast from the point is one of the least effective tools on the PP. The most effective shot selection from the point nowadays is the silent one, the wrister that is aimed to get through traffic. That's something we can do well.

The reason our PP is struggling is that we have no shooting threat from the blue line. The other teams are staying in the slot area and closing all the lanes off and Marner has no options. They don't care if Rielly takes a wrist shot from the point and encourage it

Reactions: Moonman

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
The D coming up don’t possess a big shot.
But, if you have Burns or Weber your going to use that weapon at some point on the PP.
Ya, one timer is a useful weapon. However, if Leafs has the big shooter, players will just pass to him and will just chill out along the boards waiting for the shooter to shoot. The leafs PP real problems are stationary and predictable. They have no "counter-counter-PP plan.":popcorn:

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
I swear Rielly is the only offensive defenseman in the league that doesn't take slapshots or one-timers.
For Rielly to take a one-timer he would need to receive better passes from Matthews. But right now when Matthews gets the puck he goes looking for a shot, when its not there he does a behind the back pass towards Rielly and not really at him.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
For Rielly to take a one-timer he would need to receive better passes from Matthews. But right now when Matthews gets the puck he goes looking for a shot, when its not there he does a behind the back pass towards Rielly and not really at him.

Let's not pretend like Rielly is hanging out there with his stick in the air to take a slapper. It's just not part of the game plan at all when Rielly is manning the blue line.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Starting from 0:06, Babcock says: "Ok well **** me, then. I'm ****ing tired of this ****. I'm tired of this ****."

Tired of what? The powerplay is as stagnant as his lines have been, if he's calling that out he is in absolutely no position to whine.

Reactions: dsred

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
I'm actually amazed at how incompetent this team's coaches are.

It just amazes me that they try nothing new, our PP setup is the EXACT SAME and has been the EXACT SAME for something like 95% of our PPs, we did try the one tee with Matthews on the other side and almost scored, however because it didn't score the first two three times, obviously we scrap it.

Anyone with sense would do the following:
1.Move Kadri off the first PP considering he is useless out there
2.Use one to two different formations and stick with them for at least 10 pps
3.Either alternate between the two or go 3 of one (if they don't score) and then 1 of another seeing how the other one does and going from there (Matthews one tee being obvious one they cold try out), they can literally ALWAYS go back to the red hot Nov setup if all else fails, but at least TRY SOMETHING NEW
4.Replacing Kadri with either Nylander who is the obvious choice or whoever is flying that night rewarding players nightly considering Kadri has been ass the whole year
5.Leaving our first PP on for the entire 2 minutes

Absolutely mind blowing that these are NHL caliber coaches and they can't even think of the SIMPLEST adjustments they could make. Honestly having watched NHL GMs and coaches for a long time, I refuse to believe they are the Gods that some fans would make them out to be, most of them are merely 105-120 IQ ex players, many of them quite clueless and dimwitted and this example shows this.

Babcock's own rigidity and inability to make changes is mirrored by another one of our coaches and he loses his lid, does Babcock not have authority over his team? Does he not have the final decision? Can he not practice with them? Pathetic display by both of them, but ultimately even more so on Babcock considering he is supposed to be the HEAD coach and part of being a true leader is knowing when to override and take over for subordinates.

Reactions: dsred

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Ya, one timer is a useful weapon. However, if Leafs has the big shooter, players will just pass to him and will just chill out along the boards waiting for the shooter to shoot. The leafs PP real problems are stationary and predictable. They have no "counter-counter-PP plan.":popcorn:

Bang on. Aside from Marner and Tavares that’s pretty much their whole offensive approach.
I keep thinking this team could be so good and actually fun to watch if they would assert themselves physically ( not try to kill or fight a guy) and positionally.

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
Does anyone know of an easy way to see who had the primary assist on goals? Specifically on Kadri's goals the last 2 years on the power play. Were more of them primarily assisted on by Marner or Bozak?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->