Leafs 27th in PP % since Nov 30

Mattavarner

Apr 17, 2014
Why is it relevant to use a selective sample size?

In the last minute I flipped a coin once and it came up heads. So coins only come up heads.... HOLY **** THE LAWS OF STATISTICS ARE BROKEN THE WORLD IS ENDING AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!!!!

:sarcasm:

But seriously. The Penguins just recently were on an even worse run on the PP. A couple years ago the Caps had a terrible PP.

This **** happens.

The amount of skill we have on the ice will eventually win out over the bad bounces, lucky blocks, and timely saves.

Have you been watching? Bad bounces, lucky blocks, or timely saves are one thing. Half the time we can't even generate a shot let alone get a bounce.

Its the same predictable crap, only dangerous person on PP1 is Marner as the entire thing goes through him, same thing with PP2 and Nylander. Not to mention the same stupid drop pass entry that every team can see coming from a mile away that without fail ends with 8 guys standing at the blue line while 1 guy carries the puck and has nowhere to go

Like seeing Babcock finally go at it with Hiller on the bench today, whoever runs our power play needs to be fired

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Keep telling u guys, need 44 off the pp in favor of a shooter who can get the puck through. 44 is also terrible at keeping pucks in. Hes been ineffective on the pp for months now. Need more pucks to the net to get jt a chance down low

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Have you been watching? Bad bounces, lucky blocks, or timely saves are one thing. Half the time we can't even generate a shot let alone get a bounce.

Its the same predictable crap, only dangerous person on PP1 is Marner as the entire thing goes through him, same thing with PP2 and Nylander. Not to mention the same stupid drop pass entry that every team can see coming from a mile away that without fail ends with 8 guys standing at the blue line while 1 guy carries the puck and has nowhere to go

Like seeing Babcock finally go at it with Hiller on the bench today, whoever runs our power play needs to be fired

They were fine, more than fine, last season so what's wrong this season?

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Keep telling u guys, need 44 off the pp in favor of a shooter who can get the puck through. 44 is also terrible at keeping pucks in. Hes been ineffective on the pp for months now. Need more pucks to the net to get jt a chance down low

I dunno...I think anyone would find it hard to keep the puck in.

That formation is literally designed for the other team to easily clear the puck.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
44 isn't bad at all on the pp, he just shouldn't be used as the primary shooter.. or a shooter at all

Mattavarner

Apr 17, 2014
They were fine, more than fine, last season so what's wrong this season?
Powerplay units were different last season, and teams have now realized what we do and we have done nothing to adjust

Bozak JVR Kadri Marner Rielly

Matthews Nylander Marleau (Brown? Cant remember) Gardiner

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga

Anyone that uses a players number instead of their actual name clearly has an agenda and shouldn't be taken all that seriously when they talk about said player.

Reactions: NiftyMits

kfox

Dec 23, 2011
Just a coincidence that Matthews came back from injury on November 28?

he scored 4pp goals in 11 games before injury, 1pp goal in each of his first 2 games after injury.... and he's scored 2 in total since

Last edited:

kfox

Dec 23, 2011
The fix is to move Matthews to second unit, but does Bab's have the balls to do it now that Matthews has officially become The King?

Popeye7735

Jan 4, 2018
Here are the problems with the #1 PP unit as I see it:

1. Marner and Rielly are the only ones moving the puck, or moving in general. They're too stationary.

2. Puck movement mainly works through a triangle of Rielly, Marner, Matthews. Predictable set-ups.

3. Rielly isn't a threat to score from the point and never shoots, which allows the PK to collapse and focus primarily on guarding Matthews and Marner.

4. As Matthews is mainly the target man, PKers have merely to close him off. Marner does the best he can but ultimately can only look to pass to a covered Matthews, feed it down low to Tavares, or shoot into traffic.

5. Tavares is wasted down low. Good hands in front of the net, but needs to be in a position where he's more involved.

6. Kadri does literally nothing but stand in the middle of the ice the majority of the time.

Almost every powerplay is Rielly, Marner, and Matthews playing catch along the outside with Marner eventually trying to thread a pass through the eye of the needle to Matthews or Tavares. Matthews is always covered and Tavares is usually in too tight to do much with the puck. The second unit at least seems to have a lot more movement when they get set-up.
Well said; couldn't have agreed more. I'd like to add 2 more points:
1. Our zone entry is too predictable. Most of the time it is Marner carrying the puck in. I'd try Kapanan on the 1st unit and just shoot the puck in. Let him use the speed to get access of the puck. If nothing else, his speed should push the defenders back from just lining up on the blue line waiting for Marner.
2. Encourage more plays behind the net. We are wasting JT just standing in front on the net. Put the low skill guys like Kadri (who is doing virtually nothing) or Marleau in his place and spread the defence with JT making plays down low.
My 2 cents.

Reactions: Moncherry

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Hes particularly bad at it.

Hard to say if it's really Rielly's fault.

They all look horrible if you ask me. Including the magician himself (Marner).

Don't even get me started on Kadri.

It's not a powerplay designed for people to succeed. Only fail. If we finally had a good setup and Rielly brought it down then I'd feel more confident singling him out. As of now I'm going to blame the setup.

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
With the way teams are playing their Pk against us, their really isn't an easy fix for it. Team Pk setup against us call for a tight check on Tavares, shadow on Matthews with backside pressure on Kadri, high guy on Kadri who blocks Rielly shot, and a tight fourth high on the puck with stick in the centre of the ice. There really is no option for Marner to go across to Matthews unless someone messes up, or he gets lucky. It leaves him going down to Tavares who has a close check or back up to Rielly who could shoot but has to get through 3 PK, Tavares and Kadri and the goalie. When the puck goes to Matthews his shadow pushes out, the top guy moves down to Kadri, and the centre guy drops lower to Tavares, they have nothing but to go back to Rielly, or a seam that is open to Marner.

Another right handed shot is needed on that unit. Matthews should slide down lower back door area, Reilly over and the right shot up at the point on Marners side for 1 timers. I suggest Zaitsev he does have a good shot if its quick. He did well his first year on the PP but he already plays a lot. This would open the centre of the ice more and you could send Rielly into the centre when its open.

They're never going to change it though.

Popeye7735

Jan 4, 2018
The problem is not a particular player - it is the setup. Like Moncherry has correctly pointed out, there are only 3 moving bodies in our pp - Marner, Reilly and Mathews. Once the opponent clog up the passing lane between Marner and Mathews (which they all do now), the options become very limited.
In fact, I feel our pp is like 3 against 4 most of the time ......

Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
The problem is not a particular player - it is the setup. Like Moncherry has correctly pointed out, there are only 3 moving bodies in our pp - Marner, Reilly and Mathews. Once the opponent clog up the passing lane between Marner and Mathews (which they all do now), the options become very limited.
In fact, I feel our pp is like 3 against 4 most of the time ......

That's where Muzzin's shot comes into play. Take out Kadri because he doesn't bring much to the table on that unit, and have Muzzin tee off when the passing lanes are clogged. Currently there is only one threat; Muzzin's shot adds another.

Matthews - Tavares - Marner
Rielly - Muzzin

Reactions: dsred and Marmoset

Marmoset

Apr 4, 2015
GTA
That's where Muzzin's shot comes into play. Take out Kadri because he doesn't bring much to the table on that unit, and have Muzzin tee off when the passing lanes are clogged. Currently there is only one threat; Muzzin's shot adds another.

Rielly - Muzzin

I think this is the approach they should take. If not this, at least get Kadri off the unit and try someone else. I like the two defencemen approach though, with Muzzin sticking at the point and Rielly being someone who can roam around the ice.

Popeye7735

Jan 4, 2018

Rielly - Muzzin
Agreed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad