Prospect Info: Leafs 2018 3rd Rd Draft Pick (#76 OA via STL) - Semyon Der-Arguchintsev (5'10", 159 lbs, C, OHL)

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Now we didn't play Matt Martin and Mitch Marner survived. My old school thinking has to adjust. The intimidation comes from having Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Reilly, and Tavares :) on the PP.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
This guy is pretty slick. Probably an equivalent prospect to Bracco, but more competitive, less physically developed and probably a higher upside overall.

39 assists this year for a guy who was:
A) barely eligible for the Draft
B) a playmaker playing with no real high-end scorers

How anybody can actually HATE this pick is beyond me. Sure you may have preferred someone else, but this kid has legit Top 6 upside with the drive to get there.

To everyone trashing him who has probably never seen him play or know what way he shoots, here is a good thread.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
This guy is pretty slick. Probably an equivalent prospect to Bracco, but more competitive, less physically developed and probably a higher upside overall.

39 assists this year for a guy who was:
A) barely eligible for the Draft
B) a playmaker playing with no real high-end scorers

How anybody can actually HATE this pick is beyond me. Sure you may have preferred someone else, but this kid has legit Top 6 upside with the drive to get there.

To everyone trashing him who has probably never seen him play or know what way he shoots, here is a good thread.

TBH I probably would have been more fine with the pick had he been taken at 83. I still had a few guys ranked higher than him even at 83, but I had Lauko as a top 40 pick and he was taken right after, and he does have more upside than most between 83 and Hollowell. Kind of sucked, but not as bad as the Durzi or Hollowell picks IMO.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
mikeyg here with another one of his famous hot takes

More potential: draft aged bracco or draft aged SDA?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
mikeyg here with another one of his famous hot takes

More potential: draft aged bracco or draft aged SDA?
Bracco. Bracco while not explosive had elite edge work which allowed him to avoid getting hit. A better question is SDA vs a draft eligible Timoshov.

The big question with SDA, is how is he going to create separation at the next level to give him time on the puck to be the playmaker he needs to be to play in an NHL top 9. The biggest question I always have when it comes to playmakers after realizing they have good vision and high-iq is how are they going to create time on the puck at the NHL level to enable them to open passing windows to exploit. This can vary. A guy like Jack Eichel has everything. Someone like Joe Thornton or Jason Spezza use their size to be able to hold someone off. Someone like Marner uses elite edge work and good top speed, combined with his hands. Now, all those guys were top 5 picks, so expecting SDA to be like that is unfair to him. A very high-iq player at the NHL level who has trouble creating time on the puck to use his strengths is someone like Sam Reinhart, who if he had the ability to create time on the puck like the aftermentioned player would be elite. SDA has amazing hands, which helps, but hands without size or skating still doesn't get you much time at the NHL level (unless you are talking of hands like Datsyuk), as NHL defenders will just close the gap, pin you against the boards and dispossess you.

Now, the big hope is that with our player development, we can help SDA take the next step forward in regards to skating.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
The other player who comes to mind watching his vids is Nikolai Borschevsky. He's definitely got a way to go with the speed and acceleration but he's an agile skater otherwise. In some ways it looked like watching a future high pick in Midget hockey at 14/15.

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
Reminds me of Marner, obviously not in overall skill and potential. But it looks like he likes to have the puck on his stick, he finds the right guy in the right spot and doesn't rush is chances. He is patient and poised. Most likely needs to get stronger, while working on his skating, but could turn out to be a great pick at this spot.

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
By far the funniest looking jersey in the organisation..

img-2272674-f.jpg

Letters be barely fitting!

jwalk

Mar 25, 2006
AJAX
Went to see the Petes - Gennies game today at the PMC . There were 2 absolute standout NHL prospects on the ice - Studnicka for the Shwa and SDA for the Petes . SDA ‘s vision and playmaking ability is exceptional . I can understand now the comparisons with Marner when Marner was a junior player. He is brilliant with the puck .
SDA still looks like he hadn’t hit puberty yet and is much more like a kid than most players in the O . If he plays a full year I’d expect he woukd have a significant increase in assists this year even on Petes team that lacks talent .If he can continue on his development trajectory I think Leaf fans are going to be very happy with this pick .

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
Another SDA comparison might be a better conditioned and more svelte Kyle Wellwood. Wellwood was also a mid round draftee, was small, not super swift and had terrific vision. Wellwood did lead the OHL in scoring and played almost 500 NHL games so this is not at all an insult.

As an aside, I could see SDA as a top ten scorer in the OHL, with a good team and the right linemates.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
Another SDA comparison might be a better conditioned and more svelte Kyle Wellwood. Wellwood was also a mid round draftee, was small, not super swift and had terrific vision. Wellwood did lead the OHL in scoring and played almost 500 NHL games so this is not at all an insult.

As an aside, I could see SDA as a top ten scorer in the OHL, with a good team and the right linemates.
He also had good seats at the ACC. Sat in those babies a few times.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad