Prospect Info: Leafs 2018 3rd Rd Draft Pick (#76 OA via STL) - Semyon Der-Arguchintsev (5'10", 159 lbs, C, OHL)

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
Looks like Dubas is still filling out the roster for the Marlies with these smallish players. Size matters in the playoffs.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
A playmaking center that was great in the 2nd half. Skating agility is good but has to improve strength and speed.

The youngest player in the draft, so the projection seems like it might be there if he puts in the work.

Pronman had him ranked 25th.

Reactions: Popeye7735
Mar 12, 2009

That guy is one of the worst draft day posters lol. Everyone sucks, and here he claims its a wasted pick and then admits he hasn't seen him. I'm not a huge fan of the pick this early, but those comments are laughable. Hes a smart skilled player.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Looks like Dubas is still filling out the roster for the Marlies with these smallish players. Size matters in the playoffs.
Dubas seemed to do a fine job this year.

I'm actually very pleased with the job he has done with the Marlies.

What a dumb post.

PromoterDave

Apr 22, 2016
Toronto
SDA looks pretty skilled. Love this pick. We should've drafted his russian winger in the 7th round. Gogolev scored 30 goals this year

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Future Considerations Scouting report says he's weak and not fast enough to compensate.

..."he’s easily knocked down. He doesn’t skate well enough to make up for that deficiency"

If he doesn't muscle up it's a wasted pick.

Aka Dubas is a genius

Lisa Needs Braces

Apr 7, 2004
His English is excellent. And also you can tell he's genuinely thrilled to be drafted by the Leafs.

Could be a huge boom pick. Great to have him on board regardless

Reactions: Northernguy10

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Might've been taken too early but I remember some people here saying they'd like him in the 3rd so. Youngest player with great skill but undersized and needs work on his skating is perfectly fine by me. High risk, high reward is exactly what we should be going for in the 3rd and beyond.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
He's friends with Zaitsev, so that can't hurt.
April 2016 he's listed as 5'7" 136 pounds. Now he's listed as 5'10" and 159 pounds. That's a gain of 23 pounds. Currently 16 lbs under Marner's current listed weight.
He doesn't turn 18 in over 100 days from now. I was a late bloomer and really couldn't put any 'man' weight on until after turning 18. Grew a few inches after highschool. And a
friend of mine nearly grew a foot from when he was 17. As a 3rd round pick, if this is all you're gambling on, that's a well worth risk to take.

Reactions: Northernguy10

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

We got s bunch of big boys the past couple drafts, unfortunately it doesn’t look like many of them will make the cut.

Here’s hoping this approach leads to a few mire options

Reactions: stickty111

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
Love this pick. Screw drafting to get a 4th line winger that you can pick up as a FA, swing for the fences!!!
Not sure who rules the roost and makes the calls, whether it is Dubas or the scouts, but someone gets it!

Reactions: crump

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I remember Yzerman playing for the Petes. Some folks thought he wouldn't be NHL because of his size, Believe he drafted in 1983 when the league was full of "heavies". Drafted # 4 by the Wings, that turned out well.
Maybe SDA tuns into a Yzerman..... OK, a Bozak would be quite good enough.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Nice try at being relevant by quoting me in your post.

Jealously isn't a good look

Nice try at being relevent by pretending your the greatest thing since sliced bread.
If your saying I am jealous of someone with "Rielly is a third pairing d man" posts, you have more then a few issues.

Condescension isnt a good look.

Reactions: S2S

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
He went to the same hockey school as Gabe Vilardi few years back. CIHA is quickly developing a rep as a good feeder for the OHL.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
Love this pick. Screw drafting to get a 4th line winger that you can pick up as a FA, swing for the fences!!!
Not sure who rules the roost and makes the calls, whether it is Dubas or the scouts, but someone gets it!

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Future Considerations Scouting report says he's weak and not fast enough to compensate.

..."he’s easily knocked down. He doesn’t skate well enough to make up for that deficiency"

If he doesn't muscle up it's a wasted pick.
So just think how good he'll be when he gets some strength?!

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Getting stronger and heavier is literally the easiest thing to fix in a player. Gym and eating habits are not exactly hard to fix in players that want to become pro players. Some are physically gifted more than others but you don't have to be 250lbs to be a strong player.

SDA was the 2nd line center behind Korostelev (remember him?) and every Petes fan I've talked to or read about says SDA was by far a much better player. The problem was that the Petes had a very bad team and SDA had no one to pass to. Basically, it was like watching Marner playing with Moore and Martin.

People want to draft steals and high ceiling players in the mid/late rounds, this is a prospect that is that. He was a day away from being a 2019 draft pick and it's very possible he would have ended up as a 2019 first rounder if he progresses as well as he did.

Reactions: bonjovi0308

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Heard some noise about this kid later in the season, glad we took a chance on him. So young it's impossible to project his full growth as he's going to grow still. Like everyone in this draft, he's got some things to work on, but what he's got between the ears is already pretty damned good. One of my favourite picks in this draft by the Leafs. See how he looks in 3 years.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
Not a medical person but, IIRC, the only way to know for sure if there is growth to come is to xray the growth plates in the limbs. But I have been told that the probability is greater if the young man looks immature facially etc. SDA certainly qualifies there. He looks like the grade 9 kid who was hired to clean the dressing room. Sort of a young Kyle Dubas! (Some redundancy there.)

But even if he doesn’t gain height, he can certainly increase muscle mass with some hard work in the gym. He also looks as if he needs to work on top end speed but other posters will know more about that.

Interesting roll of the dice on a very skilled and very young player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad