Prospect Info: Leafs 2018 3rd Rd Draft Pick (#76 OA via STL) - Semyon Der-Arguchintsev (5'10", 159 lbs, C, OHL)

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
He could honestly be the 2018 Connor Brown. He was the exact same way. Very young looking, skinny, small, and possibly under-looked because he was on one the worst teams in the OHL.

Peterborough's 2018 3rd overall pick Will Cuylle kinda screwed them over by telling them he was going to play in the US next season, which sucks for SDA because he was likely going to be his linemate in the fall, so it'll be interesting to see how he continues to develop.

Edit: reading more about the Cuylle situation, it seems that he actually told teams before the draft that he was planning on playing NCAA but Peterborough still took him anyway. Yikes, that's on management then

Last edited:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I don't understand how people look at a prospect and say "No, the one thing holding him back is only the most easily fixed attribute a prospect can have, so this guy is a bust already."

It’s two things;

1. They liked Hunter and are made at Dubas because they think Dubas caused him to leave, so of course they’ll bash all of Dubas’ Picks.

2. They believe they are draft guru’s and will be negative about all the picks and act like their opinion is superior.

It’s not surprising it’s the same couple or posters claiming everyone are bad picks and busts while everyone else is like “hey, some interesting tools here, we’ll see how he works out”

jwalk

Mar 25, 2006
AJAX
I love this pick for a late 3rd rounder !

SDA put up really good numbers in the second half of the year and he still hasn't matured yet physically against a league of players who are much more physically mature.. He still looks like a little kid.
If he continues on this track next season as he matures physically he will become a high end offensive player.
Had he been born a few days later my guess is that he would've been a high first round pick in the 2019 draft.
An excellent gamble by Dubas . I have to laugh when I read some of the knee jerk comments from people who have never seen the kid play who base their judgment on 30 seconds worth of reading on a blog. I just don't get it.

The other thing I don't get is the bickering on these boards between people who are pro Hunter or pro Dubas .

Aren't we all ( or most of us ) here supposed to be Leaf fans ?

I think it's very likely that history will show that Hunter did a very good job when he was running the drafts for the Leafs. ( It will be a few years yet before the final verdict is in ) And if this draft is any indication I think that Dubas will likely enjoy the same fate.

IMHO both are very good hockey men who have differing strategies.

For example, take the choice between drafting a undersized player high skill like Holliwell versus a big project kid Greenway in the middle rounds.
Neither strategy is "wrong " as the haters would have you believe. Both have their pros and cons ( and the likelihood of either strategy being successful is not high ) but neither is "wrong " even with the game evolving into a more high skilled speed game. People need to take their blinders off and be more objective.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
He could honestly be the 2018 Connor Brown. He was the exact same way. Very young looking, skinny, small, and possibly under-looked because he was on one the worst teams in the OHL.

Peterborough's 2018 3rd overall pick Will Cuylle kinda screwed them over by telling them he was going to play in the US next season, which sucks for SDA because he was likely going to be his linemate in the fall, so it'll be interesting to see how he continues to develop.

Edit: reading more about the Cuylle situation, it seems that he actually told teams before the draft that he was planning on playing NCAA but Peterborough still took him anyway. Yikes, that's on management then

As of right now... I would imagine that his fellow russian and bestfriend Pavel Gogolev (30G last season) will be SDA's LW next season... as of right now I would imagine Adam Timleck (20 yo overeager) will be his RW.

As for Cuylle... that situation is a mess. His rights will likely be dealt once training camps open for a boatload of draft picks. Hopefully those picks are used to help improve next years team to build around SDA.

Not this season coming but next is the Petes "all in" season as most of our players will be 19.

Reactions: Crysis

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
SDA is the type of player you want to choose in the 3rd round. High boom/bust potential.

I love it that he looks to be super happy to be chosen by the Leafs. Hoping for a huge year from him.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
SDA is the type of player you want to choose in the 3rd round. High boom/bust potential.

I love it that he looks to be super happy to be chosen by the Leafs. Hoping for a huge year from him.

This pick is most likely of all the picks to make Dubas look like a super genius. Trading back being the cincher.

jwalk

Mar 25, 2006
AJAX
This pick is most likely of all the picks to make Dubas look like a super genius. Trading back being the cincher.

I agree. This could turn out to be a great pick. In the 2 years he's been in the league he's already made a huge leap forward. If he can finally hit puberty ( lol ) and continue improving at this rate this could be an absolute steal. Made even better for Dubas by the fact it was made with the additional trade down pick.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
He is so young there is also a chance he shoots up a bit taller too.

Really like what I see from this guy. Put on some muscle with a pro organization and end up 5’10 190~ strong on the puck he can end up a very good c for us. Skill is one of the most important things he has a lot of it

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
I think he’ll have to move to wing eventually.

He went about where his prospect value suggests he should.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I guess this is how teams plausibly end up with a guy like Artemi Panarin. Just draft super immature smart skill guys with the hopes X, Y, Z come together in a few years and you have a pleasant surprise. The strategy hasn't totally paid off with guys like Bracco, Dzierkals or Timashov yet but it is a percentages game. Sounds a bit like a Kyle Wellwood.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
The birthday is really exciting for me. He should really be in next year's draft, he is that young. Smart and elite vision. He has time to get stronger. Big fan of this pick.

Reactions: NoTouchIcing

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto
Probably one of my favorite picks in our draft. Wasn't high on our draft overall, but great risk/reward here in the 3rd round.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Didn't our 2nd round pick sit 170th or something in the rankings? The more I read about him, the more interesting the pick gets.

Sean durzi? Lowest rank I found for him is 57th. Or do you mean korshkov? I think he may of been ranked way down the list when we took him

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
I remember watching him against Hamilton last year. He was tiny. But his hands were great. I actually asked another pete parent about him after the game. At the time, I thought he was going to be stud when he put on some muscle. Forgot about him TIL yesterday. Just plant him in some fertilizer for a few years Hands are there

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
As of right now... I would imagine that his fellow russian and bestfriend Pavel Gogolev (30G last season) will be SDA's LW next season... as of right now I would imagine Adam Timleck (20 yo overeager) will be his RW.

As for Cuylle... that situation is a mess. His rights will likely be dealt once training camps open for a boatload of draft picks. Hopefully those picks are used to help improve next years team to build around SDA.

Not this season coming but next is the Petes "all in" season as most of our players will be 19.
Hopefully he can convince his best friend to attend Leafs camp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->