Prospect Info: Leafs 2018 2nd Rd Draft Pick - Sean Durzi (6'0 196lbs, RD , Owen Sound Attack)

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Found this nice graphic over at mapleleafsnation:

Durzi-pGPS.png

Shows era adjusted production cohorts for Durzi for those worried about his age. The oranges are the busts.

This might turn out to be a pretty good gamble.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Found this nice graphic over at mapleleafsnation:

Durzi-pGPS.png

Shows era adjusted production cohorts for Durzi for those worried about his age. The oranges are the busts.

This might turn out to be a pretty good gamble.
Its a solid pick. Not who I wanted but its still fine.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
• He averaged more than a point per game in the 2018 OHL Playoffs (4-12—16 in 11 GP) before the Attack were eliminated in the second round by the Soo Greyhounds.

Dubas when scouting his Greyhounds for Leaf picks this year would have seen Durzi get eliminated by them in this years OHL playoffs.

7 degrees of Kevin Bacon only in terms of Soo Greyhounds and Dubas connection here. :)

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Could we not have had this kid for free?

They had a very small window last off-season to sign him, so I assume he probably wasn't nearly as good as they thought he was going to be this season. You can't sign every prospect you invite to your prospect camp. Plus, it's possible Lamoriello and Hunter didn't like him.

Statistically speaking, a lot of people loved him. He did incredibly well in terms of production and puck possession.

He should be able to get good minutes with the Marlies next season.

TMLeafs17

Why so salty?
Oct 5, 2017
So yes, we could’ve had him for free. Sorry but I haven’t hated one of our drafts in like 4 years, this feeling sucks.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Saying "we could have had him for free" is the epitome of lazy hindsight. Nobody knew he'd develop like this

Very likely that Hunter and Lamoriello didn't see enough to sign. It's entirely possible Dubas felt differently. We have no idea.

It's funny how 4-5 prospects invited at last years Leafs rookie camp were drafted this draft. (I'm pretty sure anyway)

Durzi is AHL ready and we'll see how good he really is. Statistically speaking, he was one of the better defenseman that was draft eligible.

Reactions: htpwn

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
I wasn't a fan of this pick at all when we made it given that we left Addison and Wise on the board, but I think he has the highest upside of any of our picks from this weekend

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I would think this guy goes back to Owen Sound next year. Just like Hollowell likely goes back to SSM. He gets the most ice time there, and after that one year then he can take one of Holl or LoVerde's spots.

The real question is whether Sandin plays with the Marlies next year, or goes to the SHL/OHL.

HC7

May 2, 2018
I would think this guy goes back to Owen Sound next year. Just like Hollowell likely goes back to SSM. He gets the most ice time there, and after that one year then he can take one of Holl or LoVerde's spots.

The real question is whether Sandin plays with the Marlies next year, or goes to the SHL/OHL.

You've got it opposite. Durzi will likely play in the AHL, and Sandin back to the Soo. Durzi is a year older, and was the leader of the Owen Sound Attack D all season. He has the 2nd highest PPG behind Bouchard, and scored at an even higher rate in the playoffs. He doesn't really have much to prove. He out produced every D drafted from CHL last year. That includes Cal Foote, and Jusso Valimaki. He even outproduced Dermott in his +1 season. Durzi is an insane market inefficiency that Dubas and his staff jumped all over. He's probably even valued higher to the Leafs than Sandin who was drafted before him.

Sandin played behind Timmins, and still has a lot to learn in the Soo. He will have the chance to lead that D, and hopefully grow as a player.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Hollowell and Durzi were both ND in the black book

Quoting you from the Hollowell thread, but here makes more sense. Why was Durzi a ND in the black book?

Sean Durzi selected 52nd overall by the Toronto Maple Leafs | Maple Leafs Hotstove

Sean Durzi Scouting Report

Courtesy of the 2018 NHL Draft Blackbook
Durzi is a mobile, offensive-minded defender with competitiveness to his game. Sean shows fluid skating abilities, utilizing his edges and lateral quickness to elude contact and create space. While he does lack great straight line speed, Durzi is able to carry transition attack’s pushing the pace in possession. A confident puck-handler, Sean shows good awareness of his teammates. He is able to generate offensive opportunities from the back-end with his skating abilities and shows a willingness to inject from his point position at the appropriate times. In the offensive zone, Sean distributes the puck well, showing vision from the blue line. His quick feet allow him to walk the line effectively and open shooting lanes. Durzi has a quality point shot. Sean will recognize deflection opportunities and shoot for teammates sticks, as opposed to looking to beat goaltenders clean from the point. While defending Durzi does a good job keeping the play in front of him and angling opponents away from the centre of the ice. He uses sound body positioning and an active stick to defend. His edges and mobility allow him to contain well, while he quickly pressures puck carriers, taking away their time and space. Sean does rely mostly on his feet and stick to defend. Durzi has shown some durability issues over the past few seasons which is a minor concern moving forward.

Is there more in the book that details some negatives? If the above quote is from the book, I find that to be a strange leap from those positives to a full ND rating.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I like him but he’s not Calen Addison so I’ll take the next day or so to hate him and then forget about it and like him again

Reactions: Morgs

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
You've got it opposite. Durzi will likely play in the AHL, and Sandin back to the Soo. Durzi is a year older, and was the leader of the Owen Sound Attack D all season. He has the 2nd highest PPG behind Bouchard, and scored at an even higher rate in the playoffs. He doesn't really have much to prove. He out produced every D drafted from CHL last year. That includes Cal Foote, and Jusso Valimaki. He even outproduced Dermott in his +1 season. Durzi is an insane market inefficiency that Dubas and his staff jumped all over. He's probably even valued higher to the Leafs than Sandin who was drafted before him.

Sandin played behind Timmins, and still has a lot to learn in the Soo. He will have the chance to lead that D, and hopefully grow as a player.

He’s more AHL ready than sandin for sure, but Rasmus is still young enough to benefit from the OHL.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad