Prospect Info: Leafs 2018 2nd Rd Draft Pick - Sean Durzi (6'0 196lbs, RD , Owen Sound Attack)

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I'd be shocked if he wasn't. It will depend on his camp and performance out of the gate of course but generally, his development path is definitely one that is AHL bound.

Eager to see it then. Unless Liljegren makes the team out of camp (which is still a possibility), we may get to see Durzi and Liljegren developing down there next season. Sandin as well depending on what he chooses.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Eager to see it then. Unless Liljegren makes the team out of camp (which is still a possibility), we may get to see Durzi and Liljegren developing down there next season. Sandin as well depending on what he chooses.

Marlies have solid RHD depth going into next season but with 3 games in 3 nights, you need a deep team to rotate players in and out. Liljegren, LoVerde, Lindgren and potentially Durzi and Hollowell, as well as other AHL contracts. It's possible Ozh or Holl make it there as well. It's really good.

Last edited:

bonjovi0308

Jan 26, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
I would imagine Durzi starts with the Marlies next season. Being a 98 born, I'm not sure what going back to the OHL would do for his development at this time.

Very surprising to see he out performed man of the first round D chosen in last years draft.

At this point, is he further along than Rasanen (our 2nd rounder from last year) in terms of his development.
I don't think Rasanen will be a leafs

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Wasn't he at camp last year on a tryout?
I recall seeing his name and thinking he was good then or am I missremembering?
Edit I thinking was the rookie tournament

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Wasn't he at camp last year on a tryout?
I recall seeing his name and thinking he was good then or am I missremembering?
Edit I thinking was the rookie tournament

Could have signed him for free. Not a fan of this pick, liked other guys on the board.

"Okay" with Sandin and loved the Kral pick. Not educated enough on rounds 6-7 but basically round 2-4 sucked imo.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Could have signed him for free. Not a fan of this pick, liked other guys on the board.

"Okay" with Sandin and loved the Kral pick. Not educated enough on rounds 6-7 but basically round 2-4 sucked imo.
i'm pretty sure you "cant" sign draft eligible players.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough

That's a hot take. Stotts by all accounts seems to be a pretty big riser. SDA is literally the youngest player in the draft. Watch some video on him. Acclimatize yourself.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Welcome back to the forums. Long time no talk.

Because Durzi passed through last draft undrafted, he could have been signed as a UFA in the summer. Once the season starts up again, he's back into the draft.

Regardless, a solid pick. Many people smarter than me have mentioned that his progress this year was off the charts.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

Iirc Dubas said the reason they didn't sign him is because of the contract limit but I could also be missremembering that haha
For me it's not possible to tell what will come of the draft picks. Sandin I liked and Druzi but the others I don't know. All I can say after reading up on them is that I like the reasons for the choices, high IQ and good feet with stick skills

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Welcome back to the forums. Long time no talk.

Because Durzi passed through last draft undrafted, he could have been signed as a UFA in the summer. Once the season starts up again, he's back into the draft.

Regardless, a solid pick. Many people smarter than me have mentioned that his progress this year was off the charts.

I never left ... ah ok ... Never seen him play, looks like he is the d'man version of adam brooks i guess.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

Already addressed

That's a hot take. Stotts by all accounts seems to be a pretty big riser. SDA is literally the youngest player in the draft. Watch some video on him. Acclimatize yourself.

Read and watched plenty. Why I stressed it's my opinion on it

Iirc Dubas said the reason they didn't sign him is because on the contract limit but I could also be missremembering that haha
For me it's not possible to tell what will come of the draft picks. Sandin I liked and Druzi but the others I don't know. All I can say after reading up on them is that I like the reasons for the choices, high IQ and good feet with stick skills

Just liked different players (I didn't have 1 guy, I had several in each round) at 2nd, 3rd, 4th round spots (4th was another guy we could have signed for free) over what we picked. Don't wish anything bad on them either and hope they worked out but thought it was our worst draft since the old regime left.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Already addressed

Read and watched plenty. Why I stressed it's my opinion on it

Just liked different players (I didn't have 1 guy, I had several in each round) at 2nd, 3rd, 4th round spots (4th was another guy we could have signed for free) over what we picked. Don't wish anything bad on them either and hope they worked out but thought it was our worst draft since the old regime left.
Really? I thought last year was our worst outside of Lily.
I think sandin is going to be a good player down the road. The common knock on him and a few others we drafted is the lack of strength; "easily knocked of the puck"; "trouble clearing the crease" type things which should go away with simply growing up and training.
That is countered with "good stick"; "high IQ"; "creative with the puck"; "great vision". So for me I see us picking players that have the skill but are just kids and successful kids playing against bigger stringer kids so they are succeeding mainly on talent.
I like

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Really? I thought last year was our worst outside of Lily.
I think sandin is going to be a good player down the road. The common knock on him and a few others we drafted is the lack of strength; "easily knocked of the puck"; "trouble clearing the crease" type things which should go away with simply growing up and training.
That is countered with "good stick"; "high IQ"; "creative with the puck"; "great vision". So for me I see us picking players that have the skill but are just kids and successful kids playing against bigger stringer kids so they are succeeding mainly on talent.
I like

My biggest thing with Sandin is first step, lack of strength(easily fixed) and getting hit a lot came up quite a bit. He won't last long if he's eating boards every few shifts, he needs to learn to avoid hits a bit. Take a hit to make a play when it's needed but otherwise avoid the hits if at all reasonably possible.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
My biggest thing with Sandin is first step, lack of strength(easily fixed) and getting hit a lot came up quite a bit. He won't last long if he's eating boards every few shifts, he needs to learn to avoid hits a bit. Take a hit to make a play when it's needed but otherwise avoid the hits if at all reasonably possible.
Agreed on both points. Size will also help with the hits too. When he gets stronger some of those hits will be him hitting back.
Also I read a soo season ticket holder say he takes a lot of hits because he's aggressive which can be balanced out through coaching

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I dont really see much hitting anymore these days, he will be fine if he has heart and the skills...

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Agreed on both points. Size will also help with the hits too. When he gets stronger some of those hits will be him hitting back.
Also I read a soo season ticket holder say he takes a lot of hits because he's aggressive which can be balanced out through coaching

Yeah someone will need to talk to him about the getting hit part. I liked different options at 25 and 29 but overall, won't hate on the Sandin pick and as I mentioned, loved the Kral pick. I actually hope the rest prove me wrong because I saw some damn good players left on the board at picks 2, 3(x2) and 4.

I dont really see much hitting anymore these days, he will be fine if he has heart and the skills...

How will his heart help a dislocated shoulder? Guys will still finish checks.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

I didn't mind it

I liked the general plan we seemed to be drafting with and how we're planning to team build

- Sandin and Durzi are 2way puck movers who produced at the OHL level
- Stotts really came on in the back half of the season
- Took a high skill boom bust type in the 3rd with the little Russian
- Hollowell was a reach but the kid did produce, probably a bit doubtful with his size but he does play a style we're looking for
- loved the Kral pick, fits what we're looking for
- don't really know about the other 3 but I like taking a decent sized goaltender later on most years

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I didn't mind it

I liked the general plan we seemed to be drafting with and how we're planning to team build

- Sandin and Durzi are 2way puck movers who produced at the OHL level
- Stotts really came on in the back half of the season
- Took a high skill boom bust type in the 3rd with the little Russian
- Hollowell was a reach but the kid did produce, probably a bit doubtful with his size but he does play a style we're looking for
- loved the Kral pick, fits what we're looking for
- don't really know about the other 3 but I like taking a decent sized goaltender later on most years

Sandin - okay
Durzi - Way better guys at that slot
Way better picks available then the littleRussian
Hollowell was a massive reach
Stotts I feel tops out as a 3rd liner
Kral - <3
Don't know enough on 6 and 7 rounders.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Yeah someone will need to talk to him about the getting hit part. I liked different options at 25 and 29 but overall, won't hate on the Sandin pick and as I mentioned, loved the Kral pick. I actually hope the rest prove me wrong because I saw some damn good players left on the board at picks 2, 3(x2) and 4.

How will his heart help a dislocated shoulder? Guys will still finish checks.
Well the real cost of anything is leaving something else behind. Truth is we need at least 2 years to even see where these kids are trending so for now I'm just liking the criteria being used to make the decisions.
And I would add Druzi in that like list. He was a standout for me at the rookie camp last year. I had no idea who he was but noticed his play then. Add that with the year he put up and he could be a steal.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad