Prospect Info: Leafs 2018 1st Rd Pick (#29 OA via STL) - Rasmus Sandin (5'11 186lbs, D, Sault Ste Marie Greyhounds)

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
Both Wilde and Veleno look like excellent prospects, I would have have also been happy with Alexeyev. Is Sandin doing well? Sure but I go back to the reason behind my post (our particular need is not LHD). Take into account that he is also 5”11. We are going to have the smallest blue line in the NHL and we still haven’t addressed our need for a RHD.....

It’s easy to throw stones when it seems to be working out.

Look at the Korshkov pick. I was pissed about that one too as I think most leafs were.
NHL wants faster and faster and is protecting smaller players. You want to not be cutting edge that's your call.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Organizationally we need RHD and C. Both of the kids I mentioned would have addressed this need. Sure it’s a hot take and if Sandin does well I will be happy for the kid and the organization. Unfortunately we still need RHD and C, unless Sandin is light years ahead of Alexeyev, Wilde and Velano then I just think we could have addressed some of our concerns is all.
Alexeyev shoots left...

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Alexeyev shoots left...

Wilde who I was commenting on originally. I liked Alexeyev for the following: 6”3 and physical, booming shot from the point.

Regarding the way the NHL is moving, if you can have great skating and speed plus size then I’ll take it. This thread is devolving quickly but let’s see what happens when we meet Boston in the first round. Chara and Carlo are likely gonna have their way with us.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Don't forget that DavePoulin4PM poster embarrassing himself like usual. :laugh:

tell me a time that clown hasn't embarrassed himself?, the reason I don't have him on ignore is because he is a meme.

edit: didn't see the mod post before my reply.

Reactions: 7even

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
This kid is da real deal. I have watched Marlie home games and a couple in upper state NY. He is so reliable defensively as a KID. When puck is on his stick he is virtually mistake free on the breakout and transition. In his own end he already knows where to go. Most kids his age are still learning that skill he already possesses it in spades. His edge work is incredible he is very rarely on his butt. He could use some more strength which will increase his break away speed over time. He looks like an experienced vet on Marlie defense. The one guy when he is on the ice you feel totally safe defensively. And Keefe is playing him on #1 PP. This kinda surprises me a little as i think Lilly is better offensively but Keefe like him offensively too.

No one knows for sure but I think we have a potential #1 d on our hands here. I would give him a 2nd year of experience with Marlies next year but if push came to shove i think he could play on Leafs now. He is much better than Oz, Z, Marincin or Holl.

D depth wise right now --- Rielly, Muzzy, Gards, Dermott, Hainsey, Sandin. I think he would be my #6 right now. 6 left handers.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Agreed. This guy is flying completely under the radar right now. Kind of shocking. I guess everyone is too busy being upset over the offseason drama to actually care. If this kid comes in hot like he did last year, he might crack the solid Leafs d core at age 19.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
I don’t see him making it out of camp but really could see him getting a call up around the trade deadline

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Rasmus deserves some more love.

I think we're going to be pleasantly surprised by how good he looks at camp.
I think he gets plenty of love around here.

He'll probably look great in camp but I bet they use the same development plan that they used with Liljegren and send him back to work on his defense with the Marlies. Hollowell and Duszak could take over the PP while Sandin plays the majority of the 5 on 5 tough matchups and gets some PK time.

Reactions: lifelonghockeyfan

ZippityDooDa

Dec 22, 2018
Even if he's the best performing D at camp he's still going back for at least another year in the AHL. He looks promising but still has lots of work to do.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Shall we bump the thread when Sandin was drafted? Much crow to be eaten. All sunshine and rainbows in here.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Sandin will be a top four D man in the nhl when all is said and done but defensively he lacks the strength to win one on one battles with aggressive forwards.

In the playoffs he was very good playing less than 20 minutes with ample PP time but at even strength playing heavy minutes it was a struggle for him to maintain puck possession in his own end.

Another year of bulking up in the AHL should be enough for him to graduate. Liljegren while less creative offensively was better all around and is probably ready for a bottom six role.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet
Mar 12, 2009
Both Wilde and Veleno look like excellent prospects, I would have have also been happy with Alexeyev. Is Sandin doing well? Sure but I go back to the reason behind my post (our particular need is not LHD). Take into account that he is also 5”11. We are going to have the smallest blue line in the NHL and we still haven’t addressed our need for a RHD.....

It’s easy to throw stones when it seems to be working out.

Look at the Korshkov pick. I was pissed about that one too as I think most leafs were.
You'd be complaining we took an injury prone D right about now if we took Alexeyev...and he's a LHD too lol. Pretty sure you only like the Veleno pick in hindsight after a breakout offensive year. With most projecting him as a 3C around the draft, I doubt you'd have been happy with that at the time either.

Einzakin

Jan 20, 2011
Sandin will be a top four D man in the nhl when all is said and done but defensively he lacks the strength to win one on one battles with aggressive forwards.

In the playoffs he was very good playing less than 20 minutes with ample PP time but at even strength playing heavy minutes it was a struggle for him to maintain puck possession in his own end.

Another year of bulking up in the AHL should be enough for him to graduate. Liljegren while less creative offensively was better all around and is probably ready for a bottom six role.

This is not true.

Sandin played on the top pairing and the most minutes on the team. He was given the defensive matchups against the top lines. Lilly did improve in the playoffs but he did not have even close to the year that Sandin did.

Sandin is a much better defenceman as of now and I'm honestly not sure where you're getting your info from.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
You'd be complaining we took an injury prone D right about now if we took Alexeyev...and he's a LHD too lol. Pretty sure you only like the Veleno pick in hindsight after a breakout offensive year. With most projecting him as a 3C around the draft, I doubt you'd have been happy with that at the time either.

Look Alexeyev has been injured but looks solid in international and junior play. Will that play in AHL and NHL who knows but he is 6”4 and skates like the wind, and has a mean streak. He is exactly the type of player we need. If he was a RHD he wouldn’t have lasted past 15.

Velano was a steal at 30, pre draft he was in 10-15 range in most drafts. Most pegged him as a solid two way 2C not a 3C. Sure we had Kadri but given his age and his value at 4.5 in two or 3 years we could have easily traded him at fit in Veleno at 3C.

2018 NHL Mock Draft | 2018 NHL Draft | NHL Draft

Last edited:

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
Look Alexeyev has been an injured but looks solid in international and junior play. Will that play in AHL and NHL who knows but he is 6”4 and skates like the wind, and has a mean streak. He is exactly the type of player we need. If he was a RHD he wouldn’t have lasted past 15.

Velano was a steal at 30, pre draft he was in 10-15 range in most drafts. Most pegged him as a solid two way 2C not a 3C. Sure we had Kadri but given his age and his value at 4.5 in two or 3 years we could have easily traded him at fit in Veleno at 3C.

2018 NHL Mock Draft | 2018 NHL Draft | NHL Draft
We did trade him for a RHD and a 3rd line C

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
We did trade him for a RHD and a 3rd line C

I would rather have Veleno than Kerfoot. Second while he has played some C many Avs fans have said he is better as a winger so the Jury is still out.

Plus we would have an extra 2 million in cap space.....Point is I don’t always agree with some of the picks which every fan base will have. It’s great we can debate it after the fact, I don’t like that we seem to only pick/sign smallish players because they fit into this narrow mould set by our GM. Granted the larger size D that we have picked haven’t exactly worked out.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
I would rather have Veleno than Kerfoot. Second while he has played some C many Avs fans have said he is better as a winger so the Jury is still out.

Plus we would have an extra 2 million in cap space.....Point is I don’t always agree with some of the picks which every fan base will have. It’s great we can debate it after the fact, I don’t like that we seem to only pick/sign smallish players because they fit into this narrow mould set by our GM. Granted the larger size D that we have picked haven’t exactly worked out.
Mostly the last part I'd we did better at drafting bigger body talent I'd before it 100 percent. Our track record says we stink so I have even less faith one they pick someone whose tough. They must just get lazy or something because even the ones that are that we trade away that make it end up being on the smaller side.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Agreed. This guy is flying completely under the radar right now. Kind of shocking. I guess everyone is too busy being upset over the offseason drama to actually care. If this kid comes in hot like he did last year, he might crack the solid Leafs d core at age 19.

The real reason why Sandin is flying under the radar is because many people have to place him in a spot where, while he might be ahead of where Liljegren was at the same age, he is still considered behind Liljegren as of right now. So they make up claims inflating Liljegren and deflating Sandin. The reality is Sandin has blown past Liljegren and despite Liljegren playing the more needed position, it wouldn't surprise me if Sandin a regular top-4 in the NHL before Liljegren is a regular bottom pairing D in the NHL.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
This is not true.

Sandin played on the top pairing and the most minutes on the team. He was given the defensive matchups against the top lines. Lilly did improve in the playoffs but he did not have even close to the year that Sandin did.

Sandin is a much better defenceman as of now and I'm honestly not sure where you're getting your info from.

I actually watched the marlies playoff run and Liljegren was the better defenceman in his own end because he can win more puck battles. It's not a criticism of Sandin's talent as he's one of the best prospects in hockey with a very high hockey IQ but he doesn't yet have the strength to compete with grown men in the NHL. Maybe a summer of weight training will make a difference.

Leaf fans seem to be underrating Liljegren because of his modest offensive production but his defensive game has improved dramatically from when he was drafted. There is offensive upside but he will never be as creative as Sandin.

Einzakin

Jan 20, 2011
I actually watched the marlies playoff run and Liljegren was the better defenceman in his own end because he can win more puck battles. It's not a criticism of Sandin's talent as he's one of the best prospects in hockey with a very high hockey IQ but he doesn't yet have the strength to compete with grown men in the NHL. Maybe a summer of weight training will make a difference.

Leaf fans seem to be underrating Liljegren because of his modest offensive production but his defensive game has improved dramatically from when he was drafted. There is offensive upside but he will never be as creative as Sandin.

Sandin is a very lsolid person for his age. He was drafted at 5'11, 190 pounds. I don't think it's a stretch to say he started last season at 5'11 200+, which is a big and strong individual.

Lilly was sheltered most of the season, and Sandin played against the top lines. That's why I'm guessing you think he's looked better.

The playoff run Lilly defintely looked better than he did in the season. I'm still worried about his point totals, because even most of the worst offensive dmen in the NHL dominated the AHL points/play wise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad