Prospect Info: Leafs 2018 1st Rd Pick (#29 OA via STL) - Rasmus Sandin (5'11 186lbs, D, Sault Ste Marie Greyhounds)

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Sandin is a very lsolid person for his age. He was drafted at 5'11, 190 pounds. I don't think it's a stretch to say he started last season at 5'11 200+, which is a big and strong individual.

Lilly was sheltered most of the season, and Sandin played against the top lines. That's why I'm guessing you think he's looked better.

The playoff run Lilly defintely looked better than he did in the season. I'm still worried about his point totals, because even most of the worst offensive dmen in the NHL dominated the AHL points/play wise.
you have this backwards. Sandin did not play against top lines at any point really, nor should he have as an 18 year old rookie.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Sandin is a very lsolid person for his age. He was drafted at 5'11, 190 pounds. I don't think it's a stretch to say he started last season at 5'11 200+, which is a big and strong individual.

Lilly was sheltered most of the season, and Sandin played against the top lines. That's why I'm guessing you think he's looked better.

The playoff run Lilly defintely looked better than he did in the season. I'm still worried about his point totals, because even most of the worst offensive dmen in the NHL dominated the AHL points/play wise.

you have this backwards. Sandin did not play against top lines at any point really, nor should he have as an 18 year old rookie.

Both actually somewhat wrong. Liljegren wasn't sheltered at all, and was on the top pairing against top competition all season. Sandin actually played a good amount of time beside Liljegren when Rosen was hurt, and that pairing looked great.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Both actually somewhat wrong. Liljegren wasn't sheltered at all, and was on the top pairing against top competition all season. Sandin actually played a good amount of time beside Liljegren when Rosen was hurt, and that pairing looked great.
right but Sandin-Liljegren wasnt given top shutdown responsibilitys. Where Rosen-Liljegren was.

Einzakin

Jan 20, 2011
right but Sandin-Liljegren wasnt given top shutdown responsibilitys. Where Rosen-Liljegren was.

This is not true at all. Sandin was given top pairing responsibility for alot of the season. Dubas even mentioned it in a recent interview. Sandin was the top TOI for defencemen. Of the 20 or so games I watched he was out the most, and he played against the top lines, as well as on the PP.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
This is not true at all. Sandin was given top pairing responsibility for alot of the season. Dubas even mentioned it in a recent interview. Sandin was the top TOI for defencemen. Of the 20 or so games I watched he was out the most, and he played against the top lines, as well as on the PP.

For certain games Sandin was logging a ton of ice time. That was a result of mostly injuries and lack of better options for the Marlies. It certainly was not for the entire season however. Liljegren definitely had the tougher more defensively difficult assignments between the two. Sandin had more offensive opportunities and roles however, especially when Rosen went down and Sandin did great with his chances.

As decent as the Marlies season was last year they had to deal with a ton of injuries and player turnover not to mention absolutely atrocious goaltending for a solid 70% of the season. Guys like Loverde, Borgman and Liljegren deserve a ton of love because their goalies were not often there to bail them out.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
With dermott injured, i dont see how sandin doesnt get a few games in. I actually think lily will get the same look. I think it is important to see what we have in each. Any other player we would slot in would be a fringe player anyways

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Both Lily and Sandin are going to be in AHL for at least another year, and I think that's better for their own sake to get more experience before jumping to NHL

Last edited:
Reactions: Joel Ward

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
With dermott injured, i dont see how sandin doesnt get a few games in. I actually think lily will get the same look. I think it is important to see what we have in each. Any other player we would slot in would be a fringe player anyways

yeah they should get some games in even if they won't be on the playoff roster. Looking at the competition for the 5 and 6 spots, it's not exactly intimidating.

Reactions: supermann_98

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site

Sandin also had by far the most time on the PP which skew his overall TOI somewhat. At even strength Rosen and Liljegren had the toughest assignments in the playoffs.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Agreed. I think both players will get chances especially with Dermott out to start the year and tbh I don’t have a ton of confidence in our 3rd pairing depth.

If the 3rd pairing crap the bed a few games in a row like you would expect when you see the names Marincin and Holl on the depth chart, I expect a quick trigger finger for a change by Babs and Dubas ... especially if Sandin and Lilj look decent and somewhat steady in the preseason

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
To the many of you smarter than me, does any amount of games played affect either player's expansion eligibility?

They’re both exempt from a 2021 expansion. If for whatever reason it got pushed to 2022 Liljegren would be eligible regardless, Sandin would become eligible if he played 11 NHL games this year.

Reactions: Keon1963 and 7even

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Both Lily and Sandin are going to be in AHL for at least another year, and I think that's better fro their own sake to get more experience before jumping to NHL

I think one of the two will break camp with the big team for 5-8 games while Dermott is healing

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I think they will look at Liljegren because there is no ELC, cap, or exemption reason not to.
There is a reason to delay him until mid-season which makes him less likely to hit small bonuses that will have to carry over due to our LTIR situation. Now, if he blows everyone away at camp they'll take the chance, but he will have to really earn it.

Reactions: kb and Smif

kb

Aug 28, 2009
There is a reason to delay him until mid-season which makes him less likely to hit small bonuses that will have to carry over due to our LTIR situation. Now, if he blows everyone away at camp they'll take the chance, but he will have to really earn it.
Agreed. But we all know Babcock and his gud pro's.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Agreed. But we all know Babcock and his gud pro's.
Babcock rides his players hard and gives vets the benefit of the doubt (which like 95% of pro coaches do), but he's been more than willing to give talented youngsters opportunity in Toronto. I mean, the impossible task of this site, might be finding a fanbase that doesn't complain about vets getting too much lee-way with their coach.

Let's not act like he's Mike Keenan.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Both Lily and Sandin are going to be in AHL for at least another year, and I think that's better for their own sake to get more experience before jumping to NHL

I think they'll be in the AHL for at least another two years. Really get em prepared.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo

What bonus do you think Liljegren could reasonably hit if he played the full season?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
What bonus do you think Liljegren could reasonably hit if he played the full season?
I have no idea what the bonus structure of his deal is, in regards to what he has to do. But, depending on what it is, its 400k. I don't think he has any Schedule B bonuses, and I would have to be a blind optimist to think he could hit any of those. But, if its things like a top 4 +/- for a D (with minimum games played) and top 4 ice-time among D, but are doable considering Codi Ceci's play-standard of the past 5 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad