Prospect Info: Leafs 2018 1st Rd Pick (#29 OA via STL) - Rasmus Sandin (5'11 186lbs, D, Sault Ste Marie Greyhounds)

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
thanks tips

have you watched Dahlin in the pre-season at all, or are you using draft position as the basis for your opinion? Seems a lot of folks here share my opinion on the small sample size as seen on TV, but wait there's more.......a guy that got stripped 4 times or a guy who handled the puck just as many times and not stripped once w/o any giveaway's? Call now or you might as well be walking on the sun! :rolleyes:

and btw is that Trish Stratusphere we're talking about:thumbu:

I've watched Dahlin for more than just the preseason, and your attempt to shrink the sample to a couple games is laughable. Who played on North American ice last year? Who comes with little-to-zero pressure and hype?

It's not even close. Sandin has looked great (saw him live on friday), but let's not get way ahead of ourselves. When Dahlin adjusts, he's going to be great. We're talking about someone who may be the league's best defenseman in his prime.

Keep acting like a clown and replying like a smartass, though. It's cute.

Reactions: cg98

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
I've watched Dahlin for more than just the preseason, and your attempt to shrink the sample to a couple games is laughable. Who played on North American ice last year? Who comes with little-to-zero pressure and hype?

It's not even close. Sandin has looked great (saw him live on friday), but let's not get way ahead of ourselves. When Dahlin adjusts, he's going to be great. We're talking about someone who may be the league's best defenseman in his prime.

Keep acting like a clown and replying like a smartass, though. It's cute.

I agree. Dahlin made some mistakes last game and some people are crapping all over him. I don't agree at all. Dahlin is going to be a star. He should be trying to make high-risk plays. He should be trying to push the envelope to see what he can do.

To quote from an article in the athetic (about Sandin, no less):

"That confidence manifests itself into a willingness to make high-risk plays happen, too. In today’s game, that’s increasingly important for defencemen, especially young ones. In most (not all) cases, the players who rise to the top are the ones who are willing to take a calculated chance on the tough player, rather than the safe one."

The panic about risk and mistakes that see from some posters about young D is a recipe for stagnation. (And Sandin, despite playing above expectations has still had 3 giveaways in 2 preseason games).

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I agree. Dahlin made some mistakes last game and some people are crapping all over him. I don't agree at all. Dahlin is going to be a star. He should be trying to make high-risk plays. He should be trying to push the envelope to see what he can do.

To quote from an article in the athetic (about Sandin, no less):

"That confidence manifests itself into a willingness to make high-risk plays happen, too. In today’s game, that’s increasingly important for defencemen, especially young ones. In most (not all) cases, the players who rise to the top are the ones who are willing to take a calculated chance on the tough player, rather than the safe one."

The panic about risk and mistakes that see from some posters about young D is a recipe for stagnation. (And Sandin, despite playing above expectations has still had 3 giveaways in 2 preseason games).
the best players generally have a lot of giveaways because they're the ones with the puck all the time. Dahlin had a poor game, but it's only going to be a valuable learning experience for him going forward. Expecting him to dominate every shift against NHLers as a teenager only now getting used to NA ice is completely unrealistic. it doesn't take away from his unreal skills and how good he'll be going forward.

Sandin has certainly been a nice surprise though, and might be better than originally thought. He still most likely won't end up close to as good as Dahlin

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
tryin to bro believe me, i just calls 'em as I see's 'em
it's preseason. relax.

i wouldn't be surprised if you have this same opinion during the mid-way point of the season when dahlin is in the nhl and sandin is playing elsewhere.

GoldenGOOSE

Jan 14, 2018
A birdie told me management think Sandin could be a number one dman. I said that before he demonstrated to all here, that he is indeed very special. His size, gave Dubas the confidence he would still be there, when he went up to the front stage.

Anyone notice the swagger and smirk on Dubas' face on the way to the podium. He was stoked.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
A birdie told me management think Sandin could be a number one dman. I said that before he demonstrated to all here, that he is indeed very special. His size, gave Dubas the confidence he would still be there, when he went up to the front stage.

Anyone notice the swagger and smirk on Dubas' face on the way to the podium. He was stoked.

Birds can’t be trusted man, you cant beleive a creature with such dead eyes

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
he might even be ahead of the other Rasmus at this point

which is how this started

it's evolution to me practically calling out Dahlin and questioning my hockeology(thanks Anis Goomba) shows a type of hysteria that can only be found on the internet.

"he might?"

anyone want to take a crazy guess what that statement means. Or do you just want to keep growing like mold on top of each other's mis-interpretations until the intial point is completely lost.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Veleno and Wilde both on the board and you take a small LHD. A position we don’t need. Awful pick.

What an awful pick...another undersized left handed D man. Even worse considering the fact that Bode Wilde was still left on the board. He is the type of Dman we need and he is a right hand shot too.

Bode Wilde at eliteprospects.com

The definition of a "safe pick" I'm disgusted tbh
giphy.gif

Einzakin

Jan 20, 2011
That's not being fair though lol. The posts I quoted were terrible hot takes at the time and are even worse now. They deserved to be brought up

Lol I just mean if he turns out to suck, which he shouldn't, they'll be back with a vengeance :laugh:

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
As far as his skating goes, it looks very good at this point. Not elite, but enough to buy him time and space and beat opposing players. It could still use further improvement, but he's definitely made progress

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
As far as his skating goes, it looks very good at this point. Not elite, but enough to buy him time and space and beat opposing players. It could still use further improvement, but he's definitely made progress

He will have another year in the AHL to develop it. If his skating is already good enough to pass at the NHL level, and I think it is, then he's well ahead of most prospects (including 1st rounders).

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto

Both Wilde and Veleno look like excellent prospects, I would have have also been happy with Alexeyev. Is Sandin doing well? Sure but I go back to the reason behind my post (our particular need is not LHD). Take into account that he is also 5”11. We are going to have the smallest blue line in the NHL and we still haven’t addressed our need for a RHD.....

It’s easy to throw stones when it seems to be working out.

Look at the Korshkov pick. I was pissed about that one too as I think most leafs were.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Both Wilde and Veleno look like excellent prospects, I would have have also been happy with Alexeyev. Is Sandin doing well? Sure but I go back to the reason behind my post (our particular need is not LHD). Take into account that he is also 5”11. We are going to have the smallest blue line in the NHL and we still haven’t addressed our need for a RHD.....

Look at the Korshkov pick. I was pissed about that one too as I think most leafs were.
All well and true. But I think the lesson there was to not make rash judgements. There was every reason to believe that we drafted another Dermott, even at that point.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel

But why does him being an LD matter? Our needs from the draft might not be the same in the future, that's why you choose BPA. Sure, it might seem like we have a lot of LDs right now, but depth on defence is never bad and at the very least, we have a very valuable trade asset.

Don't think his height matters at all. He's very good defensively, especially his positioning, and his improved skating just helps him even more.

Offensively, he's been great too, obviously.

What's not to like?

Reactions: TML Dynasty

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

Oh for god sakes. You post was clearly an awful hot take and you can't admit even it :rolleyes:

Lighten up.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Oh for god sakes. You post was clearly an awful hot take and you can't admit even it :rolleyes:

Lighten up.

Organizationally we need RHD and C. Both of the kids I mentioned would have addressed this need. Sure it’s a hot take and if Sandin does well I will be happy for the kid and the organization. Unfortunately we still need RHD and C, unless Sandin is light years ahead of Alexeyev, Wilde and Velano then I just think we could have addressed some of our concerns is all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad