Prospect Info: Leafs 2018 1st Rd Pick (#29 OA via STL) - Rasmus Sandin (5'11 186lbs, D, Sault Ste Marie Greyhounds)

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
The scouting report was prepared very well based on what I see watching him all last year. He is not a physical player but he can handle big boys coming down hard on him and trying to wipe him out as we saw in 1st 2 rounds of playoffs. His agility and leg strength are very very good. He takes the hits and he does not go down. and his hands are NHL level fir sure. But as we all saw against Checkers his foot speed in a straight line is not at an NHL level as you could see in many of his breakout passes being intercepted. Until he figures that out expect him in minors.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Based on Dubas' comments, I think Liljegren goes back no matter what. He said patience is the best with him. Assuming this is so, I think Sandin goes back as well. Let them dominate the Marlies for a bit. In the same response he mentioned having a number of vets who can win a spot on the bottom pairing.

I think the plan would be to slide the ELC's 1 more year, and make sure they are ready. And then have a cheap D pairing for most of the window.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
Based on Dubas' comments, I think Liljegren goes back no matter what. He said patience is the best with him. Assuming this is so, I think Sandin goes back as well. Let them dominate the Marlies for a bit. In the same response he mentioned having a number of vets who can win a spot on the bottom pairing.

I think the plan would be to slide the ELC's 1 more year, and make sure they are ready. And then have a cheap D pairing for most of the window.
I think Tim's ELC burns a year regardless this season, based on age/pro experience. If he starts the year in the AHL, it's purely based on the organizations view of his ability to play and develop, there are no contractual benefits to keeping him down (or expansion concerns).

Reactions: Kamiccolo

Einzakin

Jan 20, 2011
Fair enough, a lot players lose weight by the end of a season so was curious I imagine he is around 195 at the moment

Yah true, I think now that he's got a summer with a full Leafs staff he'll have the guidance to put on proper muscle while keeping his speed and flexibility.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
[QUOTE="saffronleaf, post: 169162275, member:
Talked to an OHL scout last week
Sandin wasnt only the best defenceman at the WJC
He was maybe the best player
No doubt for his age he is a beauty

Swedish Gretzky

Oct 12, 2017
Sweden
Wonder if sandin has potential to take over for rielly in 3 years.

Sandin-Liljegren
Dermott-Holl
_____-____

I think he can but who cares what I think. Also, not a big fan of comparing the 2 when we have both now.

Now, the consensus opinion is that he has a good chance to be top pairing D who can play all 3 zones well. Also quite a good skater/edgework which will make him the quarterback on the PP.

He has had a meteoric rise. What a find at pick #29

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
"Zero edge"

Gotta love when troll posters just look at a players size and make blanket statements about them without ever seeing them play a single game.

Sandin plays with more edge than almost anyone currently on the Leafs. He's not going to punish like Weber, but he still plays a physical brand of hockey. How that Poulin dude sees zero edge is baffling.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Sandin plays with more edge than almost anyone currently on the Leafs. He's not going to punish like Weber, but he still plays a physical brand of hockey. How that Poulin dude sees zero edge is baffling.
Poulin is the next guy canned
He needs a real job

BrannigansLaw

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
What a pick this was. So poised and aware and he’s still only a teenager. Barring injuries, I can’t see how he won’t at least become a very good top 4 defenseman.

Reactions: saffronleaf

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
As I said in the other threads, Pronman is doing a Q and A, and he says he had several players over Sandin in the draft. He admits he underappreciated him with the Grey Hounds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad