Leafs 2 - 1 Habs

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigM

Nov 7, 2003
Argentina
Visit site
Very true. And if your skating isn't great in today's NHL, you should at least be more than capable of moving bodies and controlling space - a compounding weakness (no pun intended) of that group collectively when it involves over 40 minutes of Kabouillon.

Well, the good news is that, according to TSN's website, the Habs now have Huberdeau, Stephen Weiss, Brian Campbell and Kovalev on the roster:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/roster/?hubname=nhl-canadiens

Looks like TSN fixed it.

Last edited:

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Another thing I felt like Price was really not all there too. Especially his style, he usualy stand tall and is a position guy but he was on the ice all night like he was Kiprusoff or something.

jedimyrmidon

Nov 30, 2012
Toronto
I know, just one game....It just would have been fun to be amongst the teams and the fans that had a whole lot of fun yesterday. 'Cause other teams did win. And played great. We had a terrible year last year. We had to endure a lockout and then people wonder why there's some frustration because it's just 1 game?

On the contrary, yesterday shouldn't have been a surprise at all as a direct result of last season's result AND the fact that just about everything changed management-wise and there was only a very brief adjustment period coming out of a lockout - phewf. Doesn't mean we should be 'happy' about it, but, I don't know, the angry reaction seems to be excessive and impulsive.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
On the contrary, yesterday shouldn't have been a surprise at all as a direct result of last season's result AND the fact that just about everything changed management-wise and there was only a very brief adjustment period coming out of a lockout - phewf. Doesn't mean we should be 'happy' about it, but, I don't know, the angry reaction seems to be excessive and impulsive.

But it was against the Leafs. Scrivens was clearly asking to be ridiculized last night. Was battling the puck everytime he could. And that Leafs team is really mediocre.

jedimyrmidon

Nov 30, 2012
Toronto
Btw, does anyone have the highlight from yesterday where Price stuck out his glove while practically doing the splits to prevent a sure goal? He didn't glove it and stop play, but it was a very impressive save nonetheless.

Shaby23

Mar 30, 2012
Quebec
Another thing I felt like Price was really not all there too. Especially his style, he usualy stand tall and is a position guy but he was on the ice all night like he was Kiprusoff or something.

I watched a lots of games and all the goaltender were like that. Did you see Quick? It's only 1 game chill out :sarcasm: .

jedimyrmidon

Nov 30, 2012
Toronto
But it was against the Leafs. Scrivens was clearly asking to be ridiculized last night. Was battling the puck everytime he could. And that Leafs team is really mediocre.

Heheh, I won't disagree with you that it was only the Leafs and that Scrivens looked like a guy waiting to be scored on (would have been nice if Gally's first shot somehow got through).

I'm pretty sure that if White hadn't interfered with Scrivens and Prust had scored, the outcome of the game would have been different. Actually, I'm pretty sure if Cole hadn't taken that boneheaded second penalty right after the first, the game would have been much more exciting.

But the Habs with the rust and them not being very good last season couldn't overcome that and so it went downhill.

Hockeylaw

Jan 16, 2013
From a Leafs fan:

It was just one game, and both teams were a little scatterbrained after a long off-season. Could have gone either way.

Be glad that Price was solid throughout. At least you don't have to hold your breath every time the puck comes to close to your net.

Gally11

Sep 20, 2010
Toronto
I don't know if it's just me but some of the players I was worried about Markov and Bourque looked really good last night so that's a good sign. I also thought Diaz was really impressive and would like to see a Markov - Diaz combo on PP next game and maybe mix up the lines a little bit like pleks with pacioretty on first wave, I've never been impressed with DD on PP

Forsead

Apr 7, 2009
Québec City
I understand it's hard for players that didn't played alot during the lockout, but man Bouillon has to step up his game. If he can't it means that he lost some serious steps since Nashville...

I don't like such a small ice time on guys like Moen, Eller and Diaz, they really can help the team win. I hope it doesn't show what will see this year.

In the end, it was the first game this new group played together after a lockout, we can't expect too much from the start and shouldn't be too hard on them.

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
Can't wait to play the leafs again once we've got the kinks worked out (and PK signed).

As expected, the reaction around here is...typical (of leaf fans), after watching that abomination of a team (that we managed to lose to) and Scrivens (oh my).

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton
I understand it's hard for players that didn't played alot during the lockout, but man Bouillon has to step up his game. If he can't it means that he lost some serious steps since Nashville...

I don't like such a small ice time on guys like Moen, Eller and Diaz, they really can help the team win. I hope it doesn't show what will see this year.

In the end, it was the first game this new group played together after a lockout, we can't expect too much from the start and shouldn't be too hard on them.

I don't think its lost steps. Its not playing behind Suter-Weber.

Frankly, I think Nashville's D stunk past their World beating top pairing. There was a reason Gill was a top 4 guy for them. Klein is ok but Boullion and the youth weren't all that great.

HCH

Dec 17, 2003
The Wild West
Visit site
Kaberle was always expendable once Markov came back, but he's even more expendable with Diaz. He's definitely our 2nd buy-out in the summer.

Cube was only signed for 1 year. Next year, we get Tinordi in the line-up, and we sign Subban. We come back with Gorges-Subban, Markov-Emelin, and Tinordi-Diaz. A lot more balanced back-end in terms of skill, toughness and size.

The D is definitely still a work in progress, but it's a strength in our prospect system.

Agreed

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
Kaberle was always expendable once Markov came back, but he's even more expendable with Diaz. He's definitely our 2nd buy-out in the summer.

Cube was only signed for 1 year. Next year, we get Tinordi in the line-up, and we sign Subban. We come back with Gorges-Subban, Markov-Emelin, and Tinordi-Diaz. A lot more balanced back-end in terms of skill, toughness and size.

The D is definitely still a work in progress, but it's a strength in our prospect system.

Ya Diaz who can't pass to save his life is going to replace Kaberle, keep dreaming.

Maffew

Born. Raised. Habs. Always.
May 14, 2010
Montréal, QC
From a Leafs fan:

It was just one game, and both teams were a little scatterbrained after a long off-season. Could have gone either way.

Be glad that Price was solid throughout. At least you don't have to hold your breath every time the puck comes to close to your net.

Yeah, I was at the game with my friend (who is a Leafs fan) and he was cursing Scrivens all night. Any time he tried handling the puck (or came out of his net at all), my hopes got up for a scoring chance. :laugh:

Luckily, for teams with a lot of question marks, this shortened season is the perfect time for teams to start figuring those question marks out. Toronto's goaltending situation is a fine example. I do think Reimer will win back the starter job if there's no trades and Scrivens doesn't start playing unconscious somehow.

Hockeylaw

Jan 16, 2013
Luckily, for teams with a lot of question marks, this shortened season is the perfect time for teams to start figuring those question marks out. Toronto's goaltending situation is a fine example. I do think Reimer will win back the starter job if there's no trades and Scrivens doesn't start playing unconscious somehow.

Agreed. Though especially after last year's draft, I think the Habs are in a better position to address their insufficiencies going forward.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I still can't believe Bouillon was used for over 20min. Our #2 Dman.
Why? Almost 5min on the PK...No wonder we gave up 2 goals..
I think Kaberle played well actually, much better than last year, but still 20min for him is too much.
I rather see youngsters get more ice time than these guys.

poetryinmotion

Jul 12, 2011
I still can't believe Bouillon was used for over 20min. Our #2 Dman.
Why? Almost 5min on the PK...No wonder we gave up 2 goals..
I think Kaberle played well actually, much better than last year, but still 20min for him is too much.
I rather see youngsters get more ice time than these guys.

It should have been Markov-Gorges.

We are so thin on defense it's ridiculous, and that is WITH Subban. You gotta put all your eggs in one basket instead of playing offD-defD or what not and they are our two most experienced defensemen. At least Martin got that one right. This lineup isn't deep enough to win if you spread it thin.

Same goes for the offense, although that part remained intact - they should pick it up soon, I don't believe for one second that the chemistry of our first line disappeared like that. They will get rolling soon, we need patience. This is not the time to break up the first line and start trying out new combinations. This was also something I liked of Martin, he wasn't panicking with his forward lines.

CanadiensforLife

Sep 11, 2010
Montreal
TSN turning point...Plek's snow shower penalty....what a ****ing joke.

This. The spraying the goalie happens thousands of times during a season and RARELY gets called..after giving the Habs penalty upon penalty, you'd think the ref would let that one go. Absolute garbage.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
It should have been Markov-Gorges.

We are so thin on defense it's ridiculous, and that is WITH Subban. You gotta put all your eggs in one basket instead of playing offD-defD or what not and they are our two most experienced defensemen. At least Martin got that one right. This lineup isn't deep enough to win if you spread it thin.

Same goes for the offense, although that part remained intact - they should pick it up soon, I don't believe for one second that the chemistry of our first line disappeared like that. They will get rolling soon, we need patience. This is not the time to break up the first line and start trying out new combinations. This was also something I liked of Martin, he wasn't panicking with his forward lines.

Too bad Terry-ann was available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad