Leafs 2 - 1 Habs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
I'm quite shocked that people have issues with the habs celebrating their history. The Canadiens have to ensure that none of the fans or anybody associated with the club forgets what it means to be a part of this organization. Otherwise, it just becomes another bland franchise.

This franchise is a national treasure, and should conduct themselves as such.

Account Terminated

Sep 12, 2009
I find it a nice gesture to have a ceremony with so much emotion. Seeing greats like Cournoyer, Savard and Beliveau come out and hand the torch to Gionta was very moving. Also, a wink and nod for the lot of us, when Galchenyuk took the torch and held it high. He didn't smile, he was all business while the crowd roared with cheers.

You don't get moments like that with other teams.

CHarlie

They feed me CHicken
Feb 3, 2012
Ontario
I'm quite shocked that people have issues with the habs celebrating their history. The Canadiens have to ensure that none of the fans or anybody associated with the club forgets what it means to be a part of this organization. Otherwise, it just becomes another bland franchise.

Very well said my friend, very well said!!!! :handclap:

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
After watching the sabs flyers game. It gives me a little more hope for the season, the players just did not have a pre-season to get things organized. We're playing with a new coach in a new system there's still hope and when PK will be back we'll have have a little more stability on the blue line. The pressure was real high yesterday and the players must of felt it, the fans didn't help, I hope the players will take it the right and come back more prepared.

Told you so yesterday night.

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
The torch thing might have been the lamest thing I've ever seen on TV(Other than the senator LOL). This is NHL hockey, not the olympics. Come up with something original.

The torch is our history. How old are you? Do you know why there's a torch?

If one of you guys had ever been in the Habs' locker room when the team is there and seen the HOF on the walls with the poem underneath, you wouldn't write such nonsense. Of course this organisation is proud of its past. Why shouldn't it be???

Do you think we're the only storied franchise to act that way? Ever been to a Yankees game or a Red Sox game???

Have some pride in your franchise, son. It's with the past that you build the future. If guys like Pierre Gauthier had half understood that, our team wouldn't be so lame.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City

If one of you guys had ever been in the Habs' locker room when the team is there and seen the HOF on the walls with the poem underneath, you wouldn't write such nonsense. Of course this organisation is proud of its past. Why shouldn't it be???

Do you think we're the only storied franchise to act that way? Ever been to a Yankees game or a Red Sox game???

Have some pride in your franchise, son. It's with the past that you build the future. If guys like Pierre Gauthier had half understood that, our team wouldn't be so lame.

I might not have put it that way, but I agree. I happened to like the ceremony. I just wish we could see this team carry the torch a bit more, as opposed to just raising it high all the time, if you know what I mean.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

The only people who have issues with it are Leaf fans (who consistently perform useless ceremonies before every game.)

I'd love to see the Leafs try a ceremony like this sometime though. Think of all the greats from the Leafs past like Mark Osborne, Rick Vaive and Gary Leeman. I'll take them over Jean Beliveau any day.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
The only people who have issues with it are Leaf fans (who consistently perform useless ceremonies before every game.)

I'd love to see the Leafs try a ceremony like this sometime though. Think of all the greats from the Leafs past like Mark Osborne, Rick Vaive and Gary Leeman. I'll take them over Jean Beliveau any day.

But they have Eddie Shack.

Urban Explorer*

I'm 33 years old. I'm also a Leaf fan, so please enlighten me on what significance the torch has to Mtl? I know the torch has significance with the olympic games, that have been around 100 times longer than the NHL or habs.

Not trying to troll. But if the significance is just "the passing of the torch", it's pretty played out. Maybe I'm missing something? Is there some other significance?

If you don't think the Leafs have some of the all time greats of the NHL in their alumni, you're just completely bias.

Account Terminated

Sep 12, 2009
I'm 33 years old. I'm also a Leaf fan, so please enlighten me on what significance the torch has to Mtl? I know the torch has significance with the olympic games, that have been around 100 times longer than the NHL or habs.

Not trying to troll. But if the significance is just "the passing of the torch", it's pretty played out. Maybe I'm missing something? Is there some other significance?

If you don't think the Leafs have some of the all time greats of the NHL in their alumni, you're just completely bias.

"Nos bras meurtris vous tendent le flambeau, à vous toujours de le porter bien haut."

"To you from failing hands we throw the torch. Be yours to hold it high."

The motto is from the poem "In Flanders Fields" by John McCrae which was written in 1915, the year the Canadiens won their first Stanley Cup championship. The motto appears on the wall of the Canadiens dressing room, originally at the Montreal Forum and currently at the Bell Centre.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island

"To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high."

From Flander's field and also the motto in the Habs dressing room. Has been since just after WW2.

Last edited:

Urban Explorer*

"Nos bras meurtris vous tendent le flambeau, à vous toujours de le porter bien haut."

"To you from failing hands we throw the torch. Be yours to hold it high."

The motto is from the poem "In Flanders Fields" by John McCrae which was written in 1915, the year the Canadiens won their first Stanley Cup championship. The motto appears on the wall of the Canadiens dressing room, originally at the Montreal Forum and currently at the Bell Centre.

Okay I sort of see the significance. But I don't interpret the poem as "have an olympic torch ceremony". They could of done something with the torch premise with a lot less cheese. Maybe have an old great throw a torch to the captain and that's it. No need to pass it around for 30 mins like it's a Stanley cup.

Account Terminated

Sep 12, 2009
Okay I sort of see the significance. But I don't interpret the poem as "have an olympic torch ceremony". They could of done something with the torch premise with a lot less cheese. Maybe have an old great throw a torch to the captain and that's it. No need to pass it around for 30 mins like it's a Stanley cup.

"Maybe even?" That's exactly how it ended. Jean Beliveau, one of the most celebrated player to ever wear the Habs sweater, passed the torch to Brian Gionta, the current captain.

Urban Explorer*

"Maybe even?" That's exactly how it ended. Jean Beliveau, one of the most celebrated player to ever wear the Habs sweater, passed the torch to Brian Gionta, the current captain.

did you miss the "and that's it" part? That part was cool the rest was spartan like.

Account Terminated

Sep 12, 2009
did you miss the "and that's it" part?

Irrelevant. A few other greats, including Serge Savard and Yvan Cournoyer held the torch too. Big deal. The legends passed off the torch to each other before handing it to the current captain, so he could pass the torch to his teammates. Sort of like the legends of one team supporting the current team.

Urban Explorer*

Irrelevant. A few other greats, including Serge Savard and Yvan Cournoyer held the torch too. Big deal. The legends passed off the torch to each other before handing it to the current captain, so he could pass the torch to his teammates. Sort of like the legends of one team supporting the current team.

It looked like a wannabe stanley cup celebration or olympic games opening show. I thought it was cheesy but you liked it. Variety is the spice of life. But I do call the Leafs out for doing cheesy ceremonies too, just so you know I'm not biased.

Account Terminated

Sep 12, 2009
It looked like a wannabe stanley cup celebration or olympic games opening show. I thought it was cheesy but you liked it. Variety is the spice of life. But I do call the Leafs out for doing cheesy ceremonies too, just so you know I'm not biased.

I understand. Not everyone is going to like it. Not all Habs fans liked it either. I just prefer having something special like this rather than a bland "call out the player and have him skate out" opener or a Gladiator theme.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
I understand. Not everyone is going to like it. Not all Habs fans liked it either. I just prefer having something special like this rather than a bland "call out the player and have him skate out" opener or a Gladiator theme.

As a Leafs fan and a young guy, I rather liked it, especially seeing all those great players I'd only ever heard of (and then it got to Gionta and it made me depressed :laugh:) The Canadiens are one of, if not the, most storied franchises the NHL has to offer. If anyone has the license to be unnecessarily grandiose, it's them :nod:

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto

umm...yeah, those are the Leafs legends...

goonx

Nov 7, 2010

+1 was kinda cheesed, would have stopped at Gionta -> Galchenyuk (the next franchise centre). But ppl would have gotten pissed that they didn't get to touch it. The torch looked like a really ugly dollarama prop too.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
+1 was kinda cheesed, would have stopped at Gionta -> Galchenyuk (the next franchise centre). But ppl would have gotten pissed that they didn't get to touch it. The torch looked like a really ugly dollarama prop too.

Its the same kind of torch they have used all these years. Funny that all the complaints are coming all these years later.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
The ironic thing is whenever the Leafs do something like this ( honouring the 67 team, the history of the team, the 13 Cups etc..) everyone moans and groans and complains about. Yeah the Habs are an iconic and historic team, but so are the Leafs. These two franchises should not be scorned for honouring their history. I hate when people say crap like " well after a certain amount of time the Cups from the old era don't count" stupid ignorant comments like that really piss me off, and they usually come from fans of teams who have never won a cup before.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
It's kind of funny seeing the doom and gloom around the league for teams that lost and the cheers and jubilation for teams that won. It's like months of pent up frustration all let out at once. This is why abstinence education is a failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad