Leafs’ first round opponent: Boston (who tanked for us)

BamBamCam

Apr 12, 2011
Crowsnest Pass AB
Tampa now cemented into the first wild card spot, likely against in the rangers in the first round. That would be a very good series. Meanwhile, Carolina should mop the floor with whatever team finishes in third in the Atlantic.

It's funny that if the Leafs pass both Florida and Boston before the end of the season their first round opponent will be...Tampa.
So which one is it?

Reactions: BayStBullies

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Haven't the Leafs only ever played Florida once in the playoffs? I don't disagree on Boston and Tampa, but another series with Florida will create some very nice bad blood between the teams.
Agree 100%. After what happened last year, playing these guys again would be the most interesting storyline by far, then Boston. We need payback in both cases so these would be my top choices to face, ideally we get both in the first two rounds. Plus I really don't want Carolina, not sure why, maybe it's distant memories of previous playoff losses but NYR would be my 3rd choice.

Reactions: CincoHolio

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Agree 100%. After what happened last year, playing these guys again would be the most interesting storyline by far, then Boston. We need payback in both cases so these would be my top choices to face, ideally we get both in the first two rounds. Plus I really don't want Carolina, not sure why, maybe it's distant memories of previous playoff losses but NYR would be my 3rd choice.

We still owe Carolina a beat down 22 years after our last series. All these years I have been thinking when do we get another shot at them. Only half serious.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I am wary of Carolina. I think they are by far the best defensive team in the conference, and probably the best special teams combination in the conference, as well. Odds are they will find a way to choke again in the second or third round, but I think they have the potential to give the Leafs more problems than any other team in the East.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
We still owe Carolina a beat down 22 years after our last series. All these years I have been thinking when do we get another shot at them. Only half serious.
This reminds me of how I waited almost 50 years to get another shot at Montreal. A classic example of "careful what you wish for", from up 3-1 as massive favorites to the most embarrassing playoff loss in the last 50 years. What a freaking nightmare.

AustonMarner

Sep 3, 2018
Here's what Bruins media think of threads and media post's such as this one;
Screenshot_20240402-162654_Brave.jpg

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
If they used the old 1vs8, 2vs7 etc, they'd be playing Carolina.
Funny if it goes back to the old way once the Leafs loose the generation talent. So like in 5 more years. Then "ah we didn't think it was working how we wanted it too." Back to the old way lol.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Stats say 95% probability of Cats series so get ready .. Tampa will hope Rangers cool off and Bruins get top seed .. otherwise it is gonna be a h*ll of a playoff in da Atlantic .. issues becomes whichever of those 4 teams comes out of Atlantic they will be done due to injuries after 2 brutal wars

Reactions: LeafEgo

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Leafs need what 1 point to make the post season?
Yes, they would have clinched last night with a win or OTL.

Stats say 95% probability of Cats series so get ready .. Tampa will hope Rangers cool off and Bruins get top seed .. otherwise it is gonna be a h*ll of a playoff in da Atlantic .. issues becomes whichever of those 4 teams comes out of Atlantic they will be done due to injuries after 2 brutal wars
It comes down to luck, hope your team isn't broken after a series win.

I think Toronto is more prepared this year to get into a war with FLA with the additions they made in the summer / deadline.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Both Florida and Tampa have better goaltending. Hopefully there off a bit and Leafs get some secondary scoring.
Leafs will get secondary scoring but alas the top 4 will not all show up. Without superior goaltending they wont win. A good goalie saves at least one big goal per game.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Given the Rangers' schedule, I don't see this happening. They have a pretty soft ride to the end of the season. At the same time, Boston's schedule is fairly difficult, starting tonight with Carolina.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Pretty hard not to see them playing Florida again at this point.

Do we have any idea which day the playoffs should start? April 20th?
That apparently was the date advertised on ESPN or TNT not long ago. Starting on a Saturday makes sense. Eastern conference teams all all done by Wednesday April 17 and only Western conference teams play on the Thursday. So, I would guess that some or all Eastern teams will start on the 20th with no Western teams starting before the 21st. That would give every team at least 2 off-days before the playoffs.

Reactions: ACC1224

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
Congrats to the Rangers for winning their division. Their reward will be a first round exit if they match against the Lightning. Enjoy.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Pretty hard not to see them playing Florida again at this point.

Do we have any idea which day the playoffs should start? April 20th?
First round will be some combo of Boston/FLa/Toronto/Tampa. That said Fla could still easily catch the Bruins and tampa could easily catch the leafs.

Fla as tie breaker over Bruins so needs to only make up 4 pts. one game with bruins win that and its 2 pts to make up. Fla plays (Tor, CBJ, Ottx2, Buffalo) Boston plays (Car X2, Ott, Pitt, Caps)

similarly tampa hold tie breaker on Leafs and they have one game remaining with each other so only 2 points to make up if they win the head to head

Tampa plays (CBJ, MON, OTT,BUF, PITT, Caps) Leafs have (FLa, Mtl, NJDx2, Pitt, Wings)

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Congrats to the Rangers for winning their division. Their reward will be a first round exit if they match against the Lightning. Enjoy.
If the finish first in the conference, they will get the 8th seed, not Tampa. Boston/Florida/Toronto will get Tampa.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
If the finish first in the conference, they will get the 8th seed, not Tampa. Boston/Florida/Toronto will get Tampa.

Still thinking the Leafs will win the division eh?

You must have some sort of compulsive need to constantly make wrong predictions. Just stop already dude. You’ve been wrong every…single..time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad